No announcement yet.

This is R3V Facebook moments.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wouldnt it be more proactive to going back to what the symbol originally meant? I mean being so afraid of a design that a lunatic hijacked and turned into a symbol of hate... 80 years after the fact, doesn't that still give it some power over us? Surprised that house with it on the chimney wasn't burned to the ground by someone who didn't know better.

Anyway, I also hope somebody posts some new dumb stuff on the FB page so we can screenshot it and move on.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
    (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Originally posted by 15Michaeljoseph View Post
      Wouldnt it be more proactive to going back to what the symbol originally meant? I mean being so afraid of a design that a lunatic hijacked and turned into a symbol of hate... 80 years after the fact, doesn't that still give it some power over us? Surprised that house with it on the chimney wasn't burned to the ground by someone who didn't know better.

Anyway, I also hope somebody posts some new dumb stuff on the FB page so we can screenshot it and move on.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
      facebook page seems to have died not much posted anymore

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
      1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
      Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
      Mtech 2 turbo restoration
      Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by dereliiict View Post
        I wish you would, for once, put your money where your old ass mouth is.
        already have.

i can see where everyone's priorities lie.

i'll shut up now.
        past:
        1989 325is (learner shitbox)
        1986 325e (turbo dorito)
        1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
        1985 323i baur
        current:
        1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

I agree with DK's sentiment e.g. you should really know what that is and never use it, although I'd probably just pull it off because I'd bet it's vinyl. Freedom of speech isn't freedom from consequences, and I'd consider people justified in removing that symbol.
          Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Oh shoot, whole other page... Gotta read up.
            Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Comment

Still think the eagle is a pretty clear Nazi symbol, and ignorance is a horrible argument to avoid that fact.

Michaeljoseph, re: your comment about the swastika. Check this out and see if you think it works: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...irts-backfires

It also explains the origin of the symbol, which is decidedly not Native American.

Also ak-, those are literally Nazi parteiadlers with BMW logos where the swastikas go. Not sure what that proves.
              Last edited by ELVA164; 10-21-2017, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                Was a bakery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did it have a couple of M3’s then yeah?

Sorry Jeremy, couldn’t resist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                Derek-

Comment

Elva, I must continue to direct you to put current armed forces’ insignia’s.

Derek-

Comment

Originally posted by dereliiict View Post
                    Elva, I must continue to direct you to put current armed forces’ insignia’s.

It's not eagles, it's that specific eagle. It looks completely different from the rest of the German eagles, and only slightly similar to the Colonel eagle we use. Either way, I'm not positive why there's an argument for using Nazi symbolism?

Comment

I think the argument more or less started when decay said he would destroy someone else’s personal property which is a crime in and of itself and take the charge along with buying whomever a new paint job and putting vandalism on his record. As car guys i think it disgust most of us to hear another car guy say he would destroy someone else’s car over a damn sticker. To us gear heads our cars are our babies. Would you abuse someone else’s baby just because it mouthed off to you?

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                      1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                      Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                      Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                      Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
                        It's not eagles, it's that specific eagle. It looks completely different from the rest of the German eagles, and only slightly similar to the Colonel eagle we use. Either way, I'm not positive why there's an argument for using Nazi symbolism?
                        Not to go all P&R, but people have a right to install almost any imagery or text they so choose on their personal property. However, the eagle in question is clearly most associated with the NSDAP, and it is in poor taste.

Should we deface the image? Of course not, then we are in the wrong, both for damaging property and for actively preventing someone from exercising their rights (which probably isn't a criminal act in this case).

For instance, I thought of painting my crappy 2002 desert tan, doing it up as a radio car and painting an Afrika Korps palm tree insignia on the side. However, I clearly realized that it would be very offensive to many people to have a swastika/palm tree on my car, and even decided that substituting a German double cross in it's place would not be enough to make it okay. Therefore, in order to not anger my fellow citizens I decided to not paint the car at all, which is what the person in question should have done had realized the connotations (intended or not) of that eagle.

Comment

I agree destroying the car/image wouldn't be the way to go about it.

Comment

I met that guy a couple weeks ago and saw his car, and I can assure you he's not a low key nazi. I did see the eagle and knew what it was. Not something I would put on my car, but honestly not something I think your average person would know because most people are borderline retarded. I guess I can see where some would think it's tasteless.

However, i have peace of mind knowing our very own antifa champion dk is volunteering to take down this villain once and for all by keying his car.
                            Originally posted by LJ851
                            I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

all right fine, i’ll walk myself back on this one. that was a visceral anger response.

a more measured response would be to point and say “dude, what the FUCK is this shit doing on your car?!” and educate as needed if this is in fact a case of ignorance.

everyone happy now?
                              past:
                              1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                              1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                              1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                              1985 323i baur
                              current:
                              1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
                                all right fine, i’ll walk myself back on this one. that was a visceral anger response.

a more measured response would be to point and say “dude, what the FUCK is this shit doing on your car?!” and educate as needed if this is in fact a case of ignorance.

everyone happy now?
                                :thankyou: for your reasonable and measured reassessment.

Comment

Working...
                                X