Photography Discussion: Best Backpacking Camera's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photography Discussion: Best Backpacking Camera's

Heres the scoop... I'm looking for a new camera set up. I currently have a DLSR and a ton of prime lenses for it but more often than not I find it too big and clunky to bring with me backpacking...

I do a lot of hiking and exploring on a weekly basis even, every year I do at least one big mountain climb.

Since I've been doing some research on this topic I thought I'd open up a discussion and see if anyone here does a lot of backpacking what they use as their backpack camera?

Heres the two options I'm leaning towards after my research:

1: Sony A6000 body - attached with the sony zeiss 16-70mm f4 lens

2: Fujifilm X-T1 body - attached is the XF 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 lens

Anyone have a camera they use for backpacking and any input or suggestions?

-Maxximus

87 325es - M50 Boosted - Link to BUILD THREAD
    07 328xi wagon 6mt - daily

I would lean towards the fuji because I like how the operate, plus it's "weather sealed". I don't know much about the Sony other than it produces really solid photos but the same could be said for the fuji.

FYI- I just sold all my Canon gear to switch to Fuji.

Flickr

@michael.colby on Instagram

"All he needed was a wheel in his hand and four on the road"

Comment

The lenses are the bulky part IMO, these retro style bodies are not "too" much thinner.

I think just pairing down to 2 lenses or even 1 like a Pancake and a 70-200 or a mid range like 24-70 or something would really make it more of a compact package.

I have a Canon 60D and a 50mm 1.4, its compact enough for me to put in my smaller backpack pouches without lens on. And also "weather resistant".

Between the two you suggested I have to say I was also looking at the Fujifilm X-T1 in the Silver + black vinyl coloring. Nostalgia taking over me.

Final suggestion to your list

A7/a72 is supposed to be a VERY good camera.
      1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
      willschnitz

Comment

2X cost though lol

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
        Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Are you wanting fullsize, or would a Micro 4/3 work as well?

I really liked the Panasonic 4/3 camera's for action shots. The Panasonic's vs Canon or Sony always seemed a little "faster" at processing the image to me..
          1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
          2016 Ford Flex
          2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

I will 2ed the m4/3 . I have been using a Olympus OMD EM5 since launch week in 2012, as a travel rig... The fast primes from Olympus are both small and compact and WONDERFUL in their capability, the 75mm F1.8 is one of the sharpest pieces of glass I have ever seen from ANY pro line lens made by any manufacturer....

My hiking kit is normally my 6d and a 24-105 and 150-600 but I have used my OMD as a hiking/backpacking rig, its great for when you have to save space and weight with out sacrificing the I/Q. If you go with M4/3 I would get an Oly rig as their IS system is in the body and there for with adapters you can use some of your longer glass from your current set up, in aperture priority wide open, and manual focus and still get IS to work unlike with the Pans... I have seen some nice gently used OMD EM5s for sale recently for less than 300 bucks (they were 1000 at launch) now that the EM5 MK II is out, and there are are 2 pro series F2.8 Zooms available from Oly now for the last couple of years or so.

We do have a photography thread ;)

My Oly set up
            IMG_0228 by mrsleeve, on Flickr

With the 75mm F1.8 next to my 6D
            2013-09-12_17-08-26_569 by mrsleeve, on Flickr

Couple of my fav OMD shots I have uploaded
            P7061425 by mrsleeve, on Flickr

deer by mrsleeve, on Flickr

heavy crop with from a shot with my 75mm
            Flower by mrsleeve, on Flickr

Hand held and ISO 3200
            PC281291 by mrsleeve, on Flickr
            Last edited by mrsleeve; 03-01-2016, 01:39 PM.
            Originally posted by Fusion
            If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
            The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
            William Pitt-

Comment

Man i totally forgot about the Oly, wanted one forever.

OMD EM5 Mk2 got me
              1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
              willschnitz

Comment

ahh good some discussion going!

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                The lenses are the bulky part IMO, these retro style bodies are not "too" much thinner.
                Between the two you suggested I have to say I was also looking at the Fujifilm X-T1 in the Silver + black vinyl coloring. Nostalgia taking over me.

Final suggestion to your list:

A7/a72 is supposed to be a VERY good camera.
                - lens being too bulky is 100% my concern on both these set ups... but at the same time I really like the idea of having 1 kick ass "do it all" lens on and not having to worry about packing much else besides maybe a little gorilla pod tripod... I'm almost foreign to zoom lenses but both these lenses are extremely well regarded for a "if your only gonna bring 1 lens" type situation.... literally the only other zoom lenses I have experience with is a crudy kit lens that got disregarded the day I got my T2i.

- yea the Fuji X-t1 is gorgeous and it does the same nostalgia thing to me!

- The A7 I put out of question because it was a touch out of my price range. from what I've seen on the sony line I could be totally happy with the A6000 and just spend more on the glass and still end up around $1500 where as I think I'll be closer to $2000+ range in I go for the A7. No doubt the full frame would be nice.... also I was at the store last night holding some camera's, and the A7 felt noticeably bigger and bulkier than the A6k

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                Are you wanting fullsize, or would a Micro 4/3 work as well?

I really liked the Panasonic 4/3 camera's for action shots. The Panasonic's vs Canon or Sony always seemed a little "faster" at processing the image to me..
                Full frame is def not necessary, micro 4/3 line is definitely on the table. I really haven't seen much from panasonic's line up to be honest. any models in particular?

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                I will 2ed the m4/3 . I have been using a Olympus OMD EM5 since launch week in 2012, as a travel rig...
                I have seen some nice gently used OMD EM5s for sale recently for less than 300 bucks (they were 1000 at launch) now that the EM5 MK II is out, and there are are 2 pro series F2.8 Zooms available from Oly now for the last couple of years or so.

We do have a photography thread ;)

With the 75mm F1.8 next to my 6D
                2013-09-12_17-08-26_569 by mrsleeve, on Flickr

Couple of my fav OMD shots I have uploaded
                P7061425 by mrsleeve, on Flickr
                actually the E-M5 was 3rd on my interest list. I've never had an Olympus before and it definitely looked like a quality camera that was not out of the question! The thought of getting a lightly used one for $300 is a great idea... I'll look around cause at that price point I could definitely be persuaded. That first pic you uploaded is pretty much exactly the size difference I'm hoping to accomplish...

the E-m5 is also weather resistant as well correct? or is that just the m1 model?

that second photo is awesome man! exactly what I hope to be capturing... I've seen some pretty things hiking and camping that I just never had the right equipment with to actually capture correctly... which is a complete shame since I own some decent DSLR equipment.

ALSO: I went to best buy to play with some camera's yesterday, hoping the see how they feel in my hands would help me be persuaded. Obviously they didn't have any of the lenses I wanted on their show models so its hard to tell how much bulkier they will feel with a different lens. They had a lot of the sony line up on display as well as an Xt1 and XT10. I will say the XT1 felt awesome and looked kick ass. Had an extremely nice feel to it and i loved having everything on little dials. The A7 felt noticeably larger than the A6k. the A6k felt good as well but not quite as great as the XT1, the A6k's focus was very fast... definitely leaning towards the Fuji now, but would like to get my hands on an olympus E-M5 to see how it feels.
                Last edited by SirMaxximus; 03-01-2016, 02:32 PM.

Comment

I shoot a canon sl1 with the sigma 18-250mm. Its pretty small. One lens does it all.

Its slightly bigger than the 4/3 cameras, but it is the smallest full capability slr canon makes. The sigma lens is also very small and compact. It shoots great pics too.
                  sigpic
                  Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                  92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                  88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                  88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                  87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                  12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Adorama has a deal going right now for the Fuji Xe2 kit, 699$. The xe2 just received a brand new firmware update that brings it up to the same specs as the Fuji xt-10, so its essentially the same camera in a "rangefinder style" although neither the xe2 or the xt-10 are weather sealed.

I sold my Canon kit just recently and picked up the xe2 kit on sale, I plan to use the xe2 until the xt-1 successor comes out (xt-2 is rumored to be released this fall 2016). Id probably stick with the xe2 if all goes well but I shoot a many different environments and Id really like the weather sealing of the xt-1/2.

Adorama sale-- http://www.adorama.com/IFJXE2BKG.html

Flickr

@michael.colby on Instagram

"All he needed was a wheel in his hand and four on the road"

Comment

i came in here to make sure sleeve had posted, he has so i am calling this thread closed!

Comment

I do a lot of backpacking and don't like lugging my Cannon 60D around out there (too much weight). This past summer I hiked the John Muir Trail and picked up a Sony RX100M2 and REALLY liked it.

King's Canyon National Park by Geoff Potter, on Flickr
                        "Modern cars, they all look like electric shavers."
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/bloodonthemotorway/sets/

sigpic

Comment

I too want to pick up a Fuji. I'm really liking their classic style bodies. The X100T still seems to be a great buy, lens is fixed to the camera which has positives and negatives. It doesn't say it's weather resistant, so I'm not sure just how sealed it is - that's actually my only reservation on it.

Hiking with my D700 pack is too much weight at times and I only carry two small lenses. It would be wiser to travel with something that can be easily stored away out of view or if it's hanging around your neck for 8 hours it doesn't cause neck strain - and doesn't bring too much attention. The D700 also has a loud shutter, which I actually like 99% of the time, but not while trying to be silent.

X100T:

XT1:

Been reading this Ken guy's website for a decade:

Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

UPDATE: So I got an XT1, I did buy the long 18-135 lens... Got it in my hands last Thursday. heres my thoughts so far

PACKABILITY: The body itself is super light, and weather resistant. I bought a tiny little sleeve case that I've been keeping in my backpack for the last week. (mostly back and forth to work, and daily things) I also did two small 1 hr hikes with the dog this week and it seemed easy to pull out and quickly use. So as a backpacking camera I'm pretty pleased with it. I wish the lens was a touch lighter. all in all it weighs around 2.5 pounds case included.

XT1: Absolutely love the camera, easy to use, super nostalgic looking! I love that all the controls are on dials and Im using menu's for literally nothing. Fuji also does free updates on this camera, so I've updated it to the most recent firmware and thats just generally kinda cool. I've used the cameras wifi to connect my phone, that all worked pretty well and was easy.

18-135 weather resistant LENS: like I said I'm in completely uncharted territory using a zoom lens.. but I have to say, I'm pretty impressed. As far as a "does it all" lens that I never take off the camera, it kinda kicks ass. I wish it go a bit wider than f3.5 but I guess you can't get it all.. not having to pack more lenses seems worth it at the moment.

Comment

I use a 6d and know plenty of people with the mirrorless sonys and they love them! if you are looking for something more travel friendly with still amazing performance no doubt the sonys are the way.
                              88' BMW 325is - Daily

Comment

Working...
                              X