Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cycling and fundraising for cancer!

Hey R3v!

My name is Nick Lanno, some of you may have seen my car or build thread here, some not. I'm a 22 year old recent graduate from The Ohio State University and I currently reside in Columbus, Ohio.

Back story:

Last year I was approached by some friends to join something called the Pelotonia. At first I was skeptical, but it seemed like a solid opportunity to build some new relationships with a good cause of course, benefiting cancer research.

The Pelotonia:

The Pelotonia is a grassroots cycling tour created in 2008 in Columbus, where every dollar raised goes directly to cancer research at The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center. Since its beginning in 2008, riders and participants have raised over $106 million, translating to new leading-edge diagnostic techniques, treatments, and prevention strategies for those affected by this terrible disease.

Last year, my peloton, or "team" personally raised $55,000 for the cause. The event absolutely changed my life. I went in with the mindset of getting in better shape, raising money for a cause and making new friends. I left with one of the most life changing and shaping experiences and a new passion. This year, I have stepped up to the executive board of our peloton to contribute new ideas and best practices to further the progress of the group (Givin' Cancer the Business) and raise as much money possible for the cause.

How it works:

Each rider chooses a distance they want to ride (25, 50, 100, 130, 180 miles) and each has a set fundraising goal that must be met. For me, I ride the full distance of 180 miles and commit to raising $2500 total. Last year, I met my fundraising goal by reaching out via social media, email, word of mouth, etc. This year, i'm looking to go further and raise as much as I possibly can for this wonderful cause, which is why I'm here.

Cancer lurked in my family many generations back, but never affected anyone close enough to me to have such an impact, but these people I've met and interacted with have expressed some of the most incredible stories, both positive and heartbreaking and it has transformed my outlook completely. But, on January 3, 2016, my mother sat me down with tears in her eyes telling me she was diagnosed with breast cancer. My passion for this cause was strong before, but now, is stronger than ever. She is currently undergoing treatment at the James and is doing well.

I'm not here to raise money for her. I'm here to raise money for everyone else who may be affected by this terrible disease.

Any dollar or cent amount counts. Cancer is something that has stricken the lives of so many people and the least I can do is give back to attempt to end this terrible disease completely.

Here is the link to my page where you have the option to donate

Feel free to read further about the organization and event, it truly is spectacular.

Also, If you are interested in getting involved, please feel free to reach out to me. Whether youre interested in riding, volunteering, or fundraising virtually, there are many ways to get involved. This event has grown exponentially, with riders coming in from the opposite side of the country for the weekend. It truly is an incredible experience.

Thank you so much for your time! Happy E30'ing.

Nick
    1987 325is - S52

I did the ride a few years back. My uncle passed from cancer two weeks before so it was particularly important and difficult for me. It's hugely rewarding and there is support the whole way that is constantly cheering you on. I just paid a ton of bills but I'll toss some money your way when I catch back up. If I still lived in Cbus I'd do it again.
    91 318is M50 swapped
    05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Working...
    X