Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

homebuying fun (caution: stupidly wide .jpg)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know how you guys can afford a home and renovation of it. Even in Portland homes vs salary aren't very good. A decent (not falling apart) home is $250k. The payment is around $1600 month after insurance. Even on my salary that isn't happening any time soon.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by joshh View Post
      I don't know how you guys can afford a home and renovation of it. Even in Portland homes vs salary aren't very good. A decent (not falling apart) home is $250k. The payment is around $1600 month after insurance. Even on my salary that isn't happening any time soon.
      move then.
      1990 325is
      m52b28
      3.73lsd
      g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Ugh, one of many reasons I would never move to the West coast.

Comment

If I could find fixer-uppers in the $250-300k range in Northern NJ I'd be in the business of flipping houses all day every day. Most homes around me that are worth anything are $450k+.

On the shower pan front, you should see if you have a dealer for Tile-EZ. These are prefabricated shower pans that drop right into whatever space you are building your shower. They are custom built to your measurements and utilize a compression drain that is sloped for proper water flow. Because it's one piece it will never leak. Way better than any acrylic lining will ever be.

Comment

Shower pans

Shower pans are no different than anything else, when done correctly they are fine on any substrate. Find a guy that can hot mop a pan in your area, someone who has worked in a region previously where that sht gets inspected by the local AHJ. They will know how to do it right the first time, it's worth the $250 for piece of mind over a liner.
            Liners leak because they are installed by tile guys with little or no plumbing experience.
            I have installed hundreds of shower pans at schools, prisons, hospitals as well as residential and never had a leak with this method.

When you grout, roll your sponge upward as you slide it across slowly at a 45 degree angle to the joint, it will eliminate the hazing as you will pick up more of the cement. Fresh sponge with each swipe.
            Seal your project, tile and grout with a good sealer, I used to use chemical based Miracle, they have a matt and wet look that creates an invisible non slip surface.
            Good luck

Comment

Yeah $250k is stupid cheap. In the General Toronto Area, for a basic suburb home you are into the $750k range to START. Just bare bones home in a bare bones neighbourhood.

I live 1.5 hrs outside of the Toronto area and my place was $325k and that was cheap for the area we are in.

...and this is all with the real estate bubble bursting earlier this summer. Over the winter some families were into the 1 mill range just to get a home that ticked their basic necessities of space and location.
              Steve • Toronto
              1991 318is • Brillantrot
              Build Thread

Comment

Don't move here then.

I think the median price in Vancouver is something like 1.3 million now.

My in laws just listed their house in North Vancouver for 1.945 million. It needs a full renovation. It was built in 1969
                Originally posted by codyep3
                I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                2010 F650gs twin
                2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

What did they pay for the place?
                  https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

$110k in 1973.
                    I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                    2010 F650gs twin

Comment

wow. thats retirement money right thar.
                      sigpic
                      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

The fully renovated, 52 year old condo they just bought was 1.435 million for 1075 square feet.

Prices here are bonkers!
                        2010 F650gs twin

Comment

Yeah they are. We are working on million dollar condo's right now but that is only because foolish people will pay asking price for them. Granted they are 3k sq feet but it's still a condo and has no land but they are on an xclusive golf course in Lennox Ma.
                          https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

man, you guys flipping high end property better be careful. the housing market is cooling off in a big way right now.

personally, i'm not going to buy shit until it really goes to hell if it does indeed go that direction.
                            sigpic
                            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                              man, you guys flipping high end property better be careful. the housing market is cooling off in a big way right now.

personally, i'm not going to buy shit until it really goes to hell if it does indeed go that direction.
                              I think that depends on where you are, in Tulsa and OKC (where I just bought a house) the market is absolutely nuts.

I had to come in above asking price, the day the house went on the market to get it. I'd lost plenty other houses, or they'd go under contract before I could even look at them, etc.
                              Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                              Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                              One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post

xfuckingmillionsandtrillions

Not the time to be flipping, unless you have at least two viable exit strategies, or you are a top dog with some substantial backup.
                                My previous build (currently E30-less)
                                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Working...
                                X