No announcement yet.

Colorado 4x4 Trip | August 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bump because I'm getting ready to start some maintenance and upgrades on the taco in anticipation of this trip and camping season in general 8-)

Originally posted by geovangelist View Post
    Any "modified" E30s going to try to the trail? lol. Post pics when the adventure is over. Used to live in Boulder and there are some fantastic stock Toyota 4x4 trails in and around the hills West of town.
    There will be lots of pics. I'm planning on renting 1 or 2 nice lenses for the trip lol

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
    Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

So how many vehicles do you have going so far?

My schedule is changing at work, not sure to what yet, but if it's a favorable change I'd still like to tag along for the Colorado part of things.
      2007 Range Rover Sport S/C

Comment

Sounds like 3-4 so far, Between Me, Lambo, and Im Assuming Stig and friend.
        1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
        willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
          Sounds like 3-4 so far, Between Me, Lambo, and Im Assuming Stig and friend.
          and MR E30 325is so 4-5

Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

I want to, but will be at work 99% sure
            Originally posted by Fusion
            If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
            The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
            William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
              and MR E30 325is so 4-5
              Thank you.

May be bringing along a buddy with a built Tacoma (2010 I think)
              My previous build (currently E30-less)
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Just a heads up to everyone planning on coming, try and get a CB before the trip, will be very helpful for the road sections between camps and offroading. Will also be helpful for spotters when we are offroading. Can usually be had with box, antenna, and wiring for less then $150. I think I spent $165ish on mine because of some things I needed for mounting and the nicer firestik.
                willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                  Just a heads up to everyone planning on coming, try and get a CB before the trip, will be very helpful for the road sections between camps and offroading. Will also be helpful for spotters when we are offroading. Can usually be had with box, antenna, and wiring for less then $150. I think I spent $165ish on mine because of some things I needed for mounting and the nicer firestik.
                  Any links/info on what a good one to buy might be? I have zero experience with CB.

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
                    Any links/info on what a good one to buy might be? I have zero experience with CB.
                    There's a few options. Kinda depends if you're willing to go with a more permanent install or if you want something more portable/removable.

This is my setup currently:

I made a CB antenna mount today. It's kinda ghetto-fab'd but it seems to work well. I'm a bit worried about it flopping into the cabin but we'll see. I...

I made a CB antenna mount today. It's kinda ghetto-fab'd but it seems to work well. I'm a bit worried about it flopping into the cabin but we'll see. I...

It's not perfect. I did it all before I really understood a lot of the intricacies of CB radios. I'm going to change it soon to reflect what I've learned. Such as:

- Connecting the radio directly to the battery for the least noisy power
                    - Moving the antenna to the tail gate so I can mount a soft topper if I get one
                    - Ensuring the antenna has a good ground (ground straps if required)

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                      There's a few options. Kinda depends if you're willing to go with a more permanent install or if you want something more portable/removable.

This is my setup currently:

It's not perfect. I did it all before I really understood a lot of the intricacies of CB radios. I'm going to change it soon to reflect what I've learned. Such as:

- Connecting the radio directly to the battery for the least noisy power
                      - Moving the antenna to the tail gate so I can mount a soft topper if I get one
                      - Ensuring the antenna has a good ground (ground straps if required)
                      Thanks Lambo.

I don't see an issue with making mine a bit more permanent. I'll eventually start Overland prepping the thing, so might as well knock out a legitimate CB radio to get it started.

Comment

Thanks Lambo.

I don't see an issue with making mine a bit more permanent. I'll eventually start Overland prepping the thing, so might as well knock out a legitimate CB radio to get it started.
                        Then you will want to look for the following stuff

- Radio

Spend as much as you want, and figure what works well for where you want to put the radio:

- Coax Cable

- Antenna

Get whatever length suits your needs. I think it's a good idea to have a decent amount of the antenna exposed above the roofline:

- Antenna Stud

You will need this:

- Antenna Mount

You can find one specifically made for your vehicle or there's this "universal" one:

- Antenna Spring (optional)

I have one because my antenna is pretty stiff and I didn't want to break it. My buddy's antenna is much less stiff and he doesn't have a spring on his:

Comment

Lambo,

That is awesome. Thanks for taking the time to compile that list for me.

Comment

Lambo,

That is awesome. Thanks for taking the time to compile that list for me.
                            I forgot to mention one thing. Make sure the radio has a built in speaker or you're going to need an external speaker like this:

Comment

I have the 520XL for reference, has a 7W speaker so it would work with radio off and doors closed, but ill probably get an external speaker and shove it somewhere later for more loud.
                              willschnitz

Comment

Bump. Adding some info to the OP.
                                willschnitz

Comment

Working...
                                X