Help me pick a light duty truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me pick a light duty truck

I'm looking for a cheap truck to daily until my e30 is done and would like something that can haul parts/bikes/tools and maybe even be able to tow a car shell or motorcycle trailer moderate distances (less than 500 miles). Older is good because I'll be able to fix things myself if something breaks or needs upgrading. Budget is limited to less than 5 grand. I have a coworker selling a rwd 5 speed mazda b2200 but it definitely lacks any towing power. I've primarily been looking at Nissan D21's, Ford Rangers/Mazda B series trucks and I like Jeep Comanche's but I've heard shoddy things about them electrically. I'm not mentioning Toyotas just because they tend to be overpriced here. If anyone's got suggestions/experiences they'd like to share on light duty trucks I'd love to hear it.
    1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

an e250 is like a light duty truck you don't have to clean out if you park it somewhere
    cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
      an e250 is like a light duty truck you don't have to clean out if you park it somewhere
      Haha this is true. I considered vans for a bit but I don't mind not getting to leave stuff in my car and vans are a pita to drive around most times.
      1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

I'll pitch in a vote for a 1st gen V8 Tundra, especially if you want to be able to tow things. I picked mine up for 4 grand here in Phx. So they can be found for a semi-decent price.
        My previous build (currently E30-less)
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
          I'm not mentioning Toyotas just because they tend to be overpriced here.
          Is there somewhere that Toyota's AREN'T overpriced?
          If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

tow things, your buddies mazda is out...

Minimum 1/2 to drag an e30 around I have done it in mid sized trucks, its a not somtihng I would do again.

Old 1/2 chevy with a 350, cheap easy to work on, cheap to fix will run badly longer than most things run at all and all over the place.
            Originally posted by Fusion
            If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
            The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
            William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
              tow things, your buddies mazda is out...

Minimum 1/2 to drag an e30 around I have done it in mid sized trucks, its a not somtihng I would do again.

Old 1/2 chevy with a 350, cheap easy to work on, cheap to fix will run badly longer than most things run at all and all over the place.
              Haha yeah the towing thing is kind of a low priority. As long as I can throw a motorcycle in the bed and be okay I'll be happy.

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
              Is there somewhere that Toyota's AREN'T overpriced?

The more research I do the more I'm drawn to jeep comanches. Is there any reason I should steer clear? They seem to be one of the more capable mid size trucks available...
              Last edited by wworm; 04-16-2018, 09:09 PM.
              1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

comanches are fine. they don't have any electrical issues. I have had one or two. they are just Cherokees with no back.

to just pull a motorcycle trailer with bike, a b2200 will work. they are 4 cylinders, just like the ranger/b2500.

one note on the comanche though, they get terrible gas mileage. the best I got out of my 2wd was 14mpg. it was a 4 cylinder 5 speed with 31s but I got the 14mpg when it was stock and 12 on 31s.

Comment

Mid 90s Nissan Hardbody, V6, ex cab, manual trans. Cannot go wrong. 2wd or 4x4 are both amazing. It will do everything you want and more.

Toyotas are way over priced...not saying they're not worth it, but they're way over priced.

Slammin has spoken. Do with it what you will.
                  1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

^I was hoping I'd see you chime in. all good things so far guys.
                    1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

If you want a full sized truck a 1999-2007 chevy is great i have one and love it but it is a bit of a gas hog, but engine and drivetrain are great the ls based motors are indestructible and last forever just watch out for rust. if you don't want to tow something my vote goes towards a hardbody the 4 cylinders are really good on gas and are another indestructible motor and the whole truck just keeps on going roommate has one and loves it. sometimes regret getting the chevy just because its big and unnecessary when im just driving around town

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                        ^I was hoping I'd see you chime in. all good things so far guys.
                        Why would you want to take advice from someone who is into BMW V12's and RX-7's? Slammin loathes reliability.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                        Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                          Why would you want to take advice from someone who is into BMW V12's and RX-7's? Slammin loathes reliability.
                          This is probably true, but I second the vote for an older Nissan truck. Some years are better than others. Do some research and decide which is best for you. This is the best bang for the buck. Fuck the jeep and the ranger and most of the other vehicles mentioned here.
                          sigpic
                          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Hardbody I had 3 of them and they were good to me

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                              Gotta have something reliable to haul around v12 and Rotary parts tho, right?
                              1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Working...
                              X