No announcement yet.

This Is Pictures.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ pretty sure they are worth quite a bit as cores.........

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Originally posted by worangejuice View Post
      Nice pics/info man!!! Much appreciated, terribly interesting/fascinating!!!
      I've got video of the Hi-Tech room that shows how these units are set up, but I don't know if my employer would appreciate me posting it on the internet. These units are in a highly secured location and we have limited access to the facility. Cameras are everywhere.

Next time I'm out there I'll snap some pictures and blur out the more sensitive pieces.

Essentially these units are arranged inline as such:

Diesel motor > clutch > 1000HP AC motor > 500KW generator end. All of this on one skid.

It's uninterrupted because the AC motors are constantly spinning the generator end. When the power goes out, the AC motor stops functioning, the generator end will be spinning with enough inertia that by the time the diesel fires up and the clutch engages there will be no lapse in electrical output.

I joke with my family that this is why when the lights go out they can still look at cat pictures on the internet.

It makes you wonder how your internet bill is so cheap when these places have so much overhead (warehouse lease, electrical bill, facilities maintenance, IT, management, etc.) The repairs that my company is performing to these engines alone are $45,000 per unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Axxe View Post
        ^ pretty sure they are worth quite a bit as cores.........
        STFU MAN!!

You always cock block like that?

:)

I want one (or a few of them) to make those lamps out of. Those were cool as shit. I don't care if they have 3/8" of free play. I'm not using them in a car.

Comment

Originally posted by Varinn View Post
          You are a heavy duty mechanic by trade?? A friend of mine works on similiar motors but they're powering the heavy equipment out at mine sites, construction, logging, etc. Very cool, very hot. All. Fucking. Day.

Im an industrial mechanic, and both gladly, and sadly, I work in food industry where everything is smaller scale. On one side its not so hard on the body/back but on the other it's far less interesting. I'd say my most interesting equipment would be our blast freezer, nothing like stepping through a door into a -30c wind tunnel
          I got my power generation repair certification through the Army. After that went to civilian college for ASE certification. Since then I have been certified in Mitsubishi large-bore engines, Scania Teir4i engines, Lister-Petter Diesel, and Transfluid Industrial Transmissions just to name a few.

Been to a couple mines to work on Terex trucks that have Scania engines and a couple rock crushers but my work is primarily in emergency power generation. One of our clients is on a private island in the Bahamas. All of the island's power comes from 6 Mitsubishi S16 units.

Being an industrial mechanic is a load of fun. Whether it's big or small. You get to see the dirty underbelly of up-scale hotels, secure facilities, and even private residences and mansions.

Comment

Originally posted by m73m95 View Post
            STFU MAN!!

You always cock block like that?

:)

I want one (or a few of them) to make those lamps out of. Those were cool as shit. I don't care if they have 3/8" of free play. I'm not using them in a car.
            Sorry bro. There is a chance that they use new castings only, but it's slim.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Originally posted by riverdale21 View Post
              I got my power generation repair certification through the Army. After that went to civilian college for ASE certification. Since then I have been certified in Mitsubishi large-bore engines, Scania Teir4i engines, Lister-Petter Diesel, and Transfluid Industrial Transmissions just to name a few.

Been to a couple mines to work on Terex trucks that have Scania engines and a couple rock crushers but my work is primarily in emergency power generation. One of our clients is on a private island in the Bahamas. All of the island's power comes from 6 Mitsubishi S16 units.

Being an industrial mechanic is a load of fun. Whether it's big or small. You get to see the dirty underbelly of up-scale hotels, secure facilities, and even private residences and mansions.
              It's ruined me, to be honest. I can't go anywhere anymore without looking at the mechanics of things! Go to carnival/theme park, spend the whole time on a ride looking at the hydraulics, the brakes, the control system, watching for sensors, valves, timers, etc. It's extremely interesting to be able to look at the generic machines and just know what things do. The principles of mechanics are all very similiar, and when you get down to it you quickly realize how basic most of the fancy things you see truly are.
              1990 332i, 4 door
              2008 KTM 990 Superduke
              2018 Golf R, 6spd manual (Pending delivery)
              2017 Mazda CX-5 GT
              2007 Z4M Coupe - Sold to very nice people

Comment

It's ruined me, to be honest. I can't go anywhere anymore without looking at the mechanics of things! Go to carnival/theme park, spend the whole time on a ride looking at the hydraulics, the brakes, the control system, watching for sensors, valves, timers, etc. It's extremely interesting to be able to look at the generic machines and just know what things do. The principles of mechanics are all very similiar, and when you get down to it you quickly realize how basic most of the fancy things you see truly are.
                It's cool how a new career can really open your eyes to the world around you. Now when I drive around I see generators everywhere. Behind grocery stores, cell phone towers, city water. You can even see the huge exhausts and radiators for some units in alleys behind buildings or on roof tops.

Comment

Originally posted by Axxe View Post
                  Sorry bro. There is a chance that they use new castings only, but it's slim.
                  Just messin with ya!

I do the same thing. Function has always been more beautiful, to me, than form.

Comment

I didn't figure there would be much interest in generators. So I'll post another project I just completed for work. Converted a 1980's Caterpillar from analog to digital controller. Built the faceplate to hold the controller and wired the engine/generator ends into the digi controller. It's easier than doing a stand-alone on a car because there is a lot more room to work.

New controller and panel in place:

Wiring for engine side, hidden behind digital controller:

And AC generator side of the wiring

Comment

Check the mileage
                      Originally posted by kendogg
                      Don't know, but the E90 wasn't designed from the ground-up intending to be a racecar like the E30 was.
                      OG RACECAR

Comment

Originally posted by riverdale21 View Post
                        I didn't figure there would be much interest in generators. So I'll post another project I just completed for work. Converted a 1980's Caterpillar from analog to digital controller. Built the faceplate to hold the controller and wired the engine/generator ends into the digi controller. It's easier than doing a stand-alone on a car because there is a lot more room to work.

New controller and panel in place:

Wiring for engine side, hidden behind digital controller:

And AC generator side of the wiring

That is absolutely amazing, people will wiring talent never cease to fascinate me hahah.

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

Originally posted by M42Power View Post
                          Check the mileage
                          For the love of Jeebus do NOT press that reset button for anything!!!!!
                          Originally posted by Wh33lhop
                          This is r3v. Check your vaginal sand at the door.

Comment

The generators are seriously bad ass. I wasn't able to locate your hat in the one picture, but holy shit that piston. How much does it weigh?

Originally posted by slaterd View Post
                            wut

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
                            i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
                            Originally posted by slammin.e28
                            Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

Originally posted by slaterd View Post

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

It's the cause of 99% of odometer failure in our e30's. Pressed mine out of a gas station at 181k and it stopped turning over.
                                Originally posted by Wh33lhop
                                This is r3v. Check your vaginal sand at the door.

Comment

Working...
                                X