• Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what was the parting gift?

2012 MCSCC/NSSCC CP class champ
    HSAX Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by csermonet47 View Post
      I know Stanceworks is for gays and all, but I thought you guys might enjoy this:
      that was incredible. Cool to know there's guys like that out there.
      cars beep boop

Comment

i can't fucking stand how burroughs writes. or any stanceworks article for that matter, because they all try to emulate him.

Comment

Made another trip to Google's server for the Hi-Tech startup. Was given permission to take more pictures.

Here is a view from the Hi-Tech radiator platform showing the yard with 12 other 1000KW generators

Diesel Tanks

Radiators for the 6 uninterrupted power supply Hi-Tech units

And six 18"ID exhausts for the Hi-Techs

A bird's eye view of the Hi-Tech room. What you see in front of the units are diesel reservoirs and auto-level oil tanks.

The Hi-Tech unit

Diesel engine

Clutch

1000HP AC motor

And the 500KW generator end

Fuel / water separators, each one about the size of a 2 liter bottle

Pre-lube pump. This is located on the front of the diesel and primes the oil passages in the block before the engine starts

Old water pump and two 100lb fluid dampeners we changed out, for size reference that is a roll of caution tape on top and a 5 gallon bucket next to them.

Turbo compressor outlets for the right hand side bank of cylinders

Air filter box, also shows turbo exhaust outlet pipe 18"ID

And this beast is the muffler

Oh yeah and I had an overnight load bank. That is where we wire gigantic resistors into the generator circuit to simulate full load. These things pretty much act like huge toasters. While the engine is loaded we record voltage, amperage, frequency, engine temp, oil pressures, etc. It's essentially a test to see if the engine and generator end is healthy. This is a 750KW Cummins twin-turbo V12. It's cramped in this generator container so the interior pictures aren't that great.

High voltage wiring to the generator end, and out the door to 3 100KW load banks. There is a 400KW load bank trailer on the back end of the genset container but wasn't pictured.

The genset container next to us was a little nicer inside. Too bad we weren't there to work on that one. It's another Cummins unit but it's a straight six. Didn't look to closely at the spec but I would imagine its a 400KW unit.

Big honkin' turbo on the Cummins straight six

Comment

What do you have to do to do what you do? I'm seriously loving this!
            1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
              What do you have to do to do what you do? I'm seriously loving this!
              There are generator service companies all over the country. It's a relatively small industry so everyone knows everyone.

Most places are willing to give you a shot if you are knowledgeable with AC electricity, diesel engines, and DC controls. I took a 14 week course with the Army for Power Generation repair that gave me the basics, went to civilian college for ASE certification, and have been to several certificate classes since I've been with this company. I've worked my way up to a field technician position. Starting out in the warehouse doing inventory, then engine parts sales, industrial transmission mechanic, then once I proved myself I moved out to the field.

If you can get your foot in the door as an apprentice you can usually pickup the basics within a year or two.

One great thing about this industry is job security. Most county's Fire Marshals require routine maintenance on generators. So the law states that this industry must exist. So you can start out just doing oil changes and inspections until your employer feels comfortable with your skill set.
              Last edited by riverdale21; 06-01-2012, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by akorcovelos View Post
                So what was the parting gift?
                Thats what I want to know! I'm assuming some rare part for an e9 or something.

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by riverdale21 View Post
                    There are generator service companies all over the country. It's a relatively small industry so everyone knows everyone.

Most places are willing to give you a shot if you are knowledgeable with AC electricity, diesel engines, and DC controls. I took a 14 week course with the Army for Power Generation repair that gave me the basics, went to civilian college for ASE certification, and have been to several certificate classes since I've been with this company. I've worked my way up to a field technician position. Starting out in the warehouse doing inventory, then engine parts sales, industrial transmission mechanic, then once I proved myself I moved out to the field.

If you can get your foot in the door as an apprentice you can usually pickup the basics within a year or two.

One great thing about this industry is job security. Most county's Fire Marshals require routine maintenance on generators. So the law states that this industry must exist. So you can start out just doing oil changes and inspections until your employer feels comfortable with your skill set.
                    Are you a millwright? (That's what we call Heavy Duty Mechanics that work on stationary engines for gen-set's etc in Canada)
                    Originally posted by Dozyproductions
                    All girls fuck but not all girls fuck around with combustion engines.

Comment

Originally posted by mamzak View Post
                      Are you a millwright? (That's what we call Heavy Duty Mechanics that work on stationary engines for gen-set's etc in Canada)
                      That's one aspect of my job, but not the only one. We also work on the electrical and control side of generators. From the electrical production of the generator, to the switches that transfer from utility power to emergency power, and everything related.

A lot of the Canadian millwrights I've worked with, especially in Newfoundland, are primarily marine with a secondary in generators.

Comment

Originally posted by mamzak View Post
                        Nice pics of the Generators.

On a side note...is there actually an interest in some big ol' turbo's? I'm a Heavy Duty Mechanic, and I usually see some get thrown out now and again. I can ship them to you guys but they're really fucking heavy....shipping will be expensive, but I won't charge you for the turbo obviously, so you only pay shipping.
                        When you say big ol' turbos, does that mean no holset HX35s?
                        I need one of themmmm haha
                        :)
                        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD
                        1998 BMW Estoril Blue e36 M3/4/5 SOLD
                        1987 BMW 325 (The Piece) SOLD
                        1991 BMW 318is S52 swap (The Beast) Now Driving Project Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=234207

Comment

Originally posted by evandael View Post
                          i can't fucking stand how burroughs writes. or any stanceworks article for that matter, because they all try to emulate him.
                          What's wrong with the way I write? :-p And they all emulate because about 99% of them are me. :-p

It's a cool story though, you should give it a read.

Comment

1000 hp E21

Comment

Been trying to sell my e39 and get a miata

Byron
                              Leichtbau

Comment

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf View Post
                                What's wrong with the way I write? :-p And they all emulate because about 99% of them are me. :-p

It's a cool story though, you should give it a read.

oh i always read them, and i like the pretty pictures. most are fairly entertaining.

but the flowery language and gaudy prose make me feel like i'm reading better homes and gardens. that plus all the circle jerking just makes it embarrassing. they're fucking cars, pieces of metal. machinery, oil, things that blow up and make loud fucking noises.

this:

..opening boxes led to riches only people like myself would value over pure gold..

is just too fanciful for metal, sweat, grime and gasoline.

on another note does anyone in the PA tristate area need a huge truck?

Comment

Working...
                                X