This Is Pictures.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eric View Post
    I wonder what the purpose of those gigantic spacers between the shock tower and the camber plate are for.
    I'd guess to fix the roll center. I'm looking to have a set made for my M3 so I can fix the flaw. Going from stock strut mounts to a set of G.C. adjustable camber/caster plates lowered my car by about an inch alone. Combined with a set of H&R race springs on shortened Konis, I lost another inch and a half. The result being really poor suspension geometry that makes a suspension design that has inherent flaws (a big one being the loss of static camber as the suspension compresses amongst other minor issues) and magnifies them substantially. With a front roll center that is below ground level, you end up with something that looses camber as the suspension compresses, it increases body roll, it requires more spring rate to counter blowing through all its travel (the more the suspension compresses, the less effective the spring rate becomes, as in, more its compressed, the less spring rate it has.) To counter all of this, you need stiffer anti-roll bars, stupidly stiff springs, excessive static camber and struts that are revalved to match the springs (likely about 1000+ lb spring rates, good luck with that.)

Take the spacers, they lift the body of the car by however thick they are, this brings the lower control arms to either level (ideal) or slightly pointing down toward the wheels (rather than the reverse where they point down toward the motor) and fixes the roll center bringing everything back to about where it should be in the first place. My guess is that he either couldn't run the off the shelf roll center spacers that fit between the control arm and the bottom of the strut, or due to the added weight of the engine, it was still too low and he needed to raise the front of the car more.

Will
    '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
    '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
    '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
    '88 BMW M3

Comment

stalone went to the same high school as me. graduated about 4 or 5 years ahead of me. like 67 or 68. he also grew up about 5 blocks from me in north east philly (holme circle). in the rocky movies he wears black and gold when he fights cause that is the school colors. abraham lincoln high. roland av. phila. if your from the area, you would know a lot of the locations as philly land marks. the gym was a place that a lot of boxers came through, 9th street italian market and of course the art museam where he has a statue now as well as many more local hot spots.
      sigpic

Comment

So you all believe that Stalone wrote that screen play from thin air in 3 days?

The "Bayonne Bleeder" fought Muhammad Ali, inspired underdogs everywhere and launched the most famous sports film franchise ever. Meet Chuck Wepner, "The Real Rocky."

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Van Westervelt View Post
          So you all believe that Stalone wrote that screen play from thin air in 3 days?

The "Bayonne Bleeder" fought Muhammad Ali, inspired underdogs everywhere and launched the most famous sports film franchise ever. Meet Chuck Wepner, "The Real Rocky."

kinda same process

Courtesy of ESPN Films
          Chuck Wepner says Sylvester Stallone promised him a movie part, but he eventually sued after decidnig Stallone would never cut him in on the success of "Rocky."

www.woranges.tumblr.com

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
            I'd guess to fix the roll center. I'm looking to have a set made for my M3 so I can fix the flaw. Going from stock strut mounts to a set of G.C. adjustable camber/caster plates lowered my car by about an inch alone. Combined with a set of H&R race springs on shortened Konis, I lost another inch and a half. The result being really poor suspension geometry that makes a suspension design that has inherent flaws (a big one being the loss of static camber as the suspension compresses amongst other minor issues) and magnifies them substantially. With a front roll center that is below ground level, you end up with something that looses camber as the suspension compresses, it increases body roll, it requires more spring rate to counter blowing through all its travel (the more the suspension compresses, the less effective the spring rate becomes, as in, more its compressed, the less spring rate it has.) To counter all of this, you need stiffer anti-roll bars, stupidly stiff springs, excessive static camber and struts that are revalved to match the springs (likely about 1000+ lb spring rates, good luck with that.)

Take the spacers, they lift the body of the car by however thick they are, this brings the lower control arms to either level (ideal) or slightly pointing down toward the wheels (rather than the reverse where they point down toward the motor) and fixes the roll center bringing everything back to about where it should be in the first place. My guess is that he either couldn't run the off the shelf roll center spacers that fit between the control arm and the bottom of the strut, or due to the added weight of the engine, it was still too low and he needed to raise the front of the car more.

Will
            I don't see how he couln't have used these, unless it's still 4 lug with the anchorman's permanently attached.

That motor isn't a whole lot heavier than the M30, which people do all the time. Seams to me that it's just a way to lessen suspension travel even more. It would be interesting to see more pictures of the car from outside the engine bay to see just how low the car is.
            My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

:borg:

Comment

Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                  I don't see how he couln't have used these, unless it's still 4 lug with the anchorman's permanently attached.

That motor isn't a whole lot heavier than the M30, which people do all the time. Seams to me that it's just a way to lessen suspension travel even more. It would be interesting to see more pictures of the car from outside the engine bay to see just how low the car is.
                  How would the top mounted spacers lessen the travel? They are totally independent of all the moving parts. I agree, the lower spacers are a lot easier to install. It could be that the suspension he used is just really on the short side and he needed to raise the front end up quite a bit.

Will
                  '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by !kid View Post
                    Hey I was there for that!
                    -Alex

Comment

One tire fire!

Comment

Originally posted by Hugo Stiglitz View Post
                        One tire fire!
                        so here's a 13 year into it newbee question ...

LSD , non LSD or what's going on ? ;)

Comment

non LSD, "open" diff refers to a diff that transfers power to only one wheel at a time

Comment

Nothing like a flying sailboat.

Will
                            '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by Sha1234 View Post
                              non LSD, "open" diff refers to a diff that transfers power to only one wheel at a time
                              I don't think that's a good way to put it, i think it's better to say that an lsd always provides torque to both wheels, while an open diff doesn't

Comment

Originally posted by Sha1234 View Post

Originally posted by J3M93 View Post
                                I don't think that's a good way to put it, i think it's better to say that an lsd always provides torque to both wheels, while an open diff doesn't

You're both wrong. An open diff splits torque 50:50 no matter what.

That means, in practice, up to the limit of whichever wheel can put down less torque.

So if one wheel is on ice, and puts down 4ft/lbs while it spins, then the wheel on not ice gets, you guessed it, 4 ft/lbs. More RPMs just means more power goes into melting ice, while the torque doesn't change.

In contrast, a spool does anything BUT split torque 50:50. it puts as much torque as it can towards the wheel with more resistance, all the time. Cornering FML.

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
                                Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

Working...
                                X