Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 years Automotive repair.

6 years Railroad.

Auto industry was great for honing my troubleshooting and repair skills. Those skills have allowed me to climb the ranks on the railroad very quickly.

I'll never go back to automotive.
    No E30 Club
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy
    Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

I currently work as a hotel maintenance guy I'm usually on call and am a jack of all trades (electrical, hvac, carpenter, etc.) makes decent money but it's California so w/e

Previously out of highschool waited banquets, guided tours, and my personal fav. Was marking timber, but it's only seasonal and if you want full time jobs in the forest service then a bachelor is pretty much the only way but then you don't do any field work because your stuck in the office all the time so had to let that go.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

grew up on a farm,

a couple years in h/s as a line cook/dishwasher

spent about a decade building roads, and municipal water/sewer systems with some odd ball demolition, environmental reclamation and building trades jobs as Laborer. I learned a lot about how big projects are built, and life in general.

Last 10 years or so I jumped over to the QA/QC side of construction and currently a Muliti method Level 2 NDE tech working mostly in the Energy business, as a small part of some of most high profile miltibillion dollar projects in recent years. Travel sucks but it pays the bills and I might get to retire before I am dead.
        Last edited by mrsleeve; 07-21-2019, 02:27 PM.
        Originally posted by Fusion
        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
        William Pitt-

Comment

Sheeet...

Started off working at the port of Long Beach unloading freights

Worked as a weed delivery guy for a bit, then a restaurant as a bus boy before I got into automotive.

Been at the shop for 8 years now
          Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Noticing a lot of problem solving type gigs...the best days at work are when I figure out how to solve something that’s stumped everyone else :)

Ezekiel 25:17
            Current flame: E30 318iS Alpinweiss II slicktop / LSD - Joanne
            The old man: 1970 2002 Polaris(ish) slicktop / rat rod - Wallace
            The ex: E92 335i 6MT M-Sport - Betty
            The heavy: 2001 4Runner SR5 Sport (3rd Gen) - Fred

Comment

Currently: a Creative Director for an event marketing / production company. Essentially we have large brands (beer, spirits, automotive, etc.) come to us with an idea, we tell them how to do it and then we actually go and do it. Here's an example of the types of events we do.

Been there for 6.5 years, before that I worked for a few agencies as a graphic designer since graduating for graphic design.
              Steve • Toronto
              1991 318is • Brillantrot
              Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by majdomo View Post
                Noticing a lot of problem solving type gigs...the best days at work are when I figure out how to solve something that’s stumped everyone else :)
                I guess E30s and all their problems attract us

I'm in college and am hoping to do something mixing chemistry, mechanical engineering, and coding.

Managed to land an internship this summer building robots to dissect mosquitoes with malaria

Comment

Went to school for manufacturing and got my associates degree. Worked a short bit at Nosler making bullets, then worked at a machine shop as a machinist for a few years. Now I'm at Leatherman tool. Started as an operator in the machining department, worked my way up to group lead and now am a manufacturing engineer tech. This is the best place I've ever worked. Super great company. Started going back to school working towards my bachelor's in manufacturing engineering.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
                    Now I'm at Leatherman tool.
                    The new Free series is a far cry from my original 25+year old PST in a good way. I still use my original almost daily but all of the new features make me really want to pick up a P4.

I've worked in the automotive industry in some fashion for about 15 years. I started washing cars in high school and as a lot bitch, detailed cars for a while and became a service writer. Working at dealerships have a funny way of sapping virtually any enthusiasm you have for cars though so I was looking to get out of it. I finally found a job in the industry I like, selling BMW parts and BMW accessories (in my best Arlen accent)
                    Follow us on Facebook and Instagram

On qualified parts... email me at dealindave@blunttech.com

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
                      . Now I'm at Leatherman tool. Started as an operator in the machining department, worked my way up to group lead and now am a manufacturing engineer tech.
                      You familiar with Freddie Matera? What are your thoughts on his work?
                      LIVE❋LOVE♥️LEATHER✌❤️🙏🏽💫

He makes mostly high end leather accessories.
                      If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                        grew up on a farm,

a couple years in h/s as a line cook/dishwasher

spent about a decade building roads, and municipal water/sewer systems with some odd ball demolition, environmental reclamation and building trades jobs as Laborer. I learned a lot about how big projects are built, and life in general.

Last 10 years or so I jumped over to the QA/QC side of construction and currently a Muliti method Level 2 NDE tech working mostly in the Energy business, as a small part of some of most high profile miltibillion dollar projects in recent years. Travel sucks but it pays the bills and I might get to retire before I am dead.
                        +2 For energy business.
                        I do things.

Comment

Was a carpenter/contractor's apprentice out of high school and in between summers during college. Studied Industrial Design and then apprenticed at two different Porsche shops for a year before realizing I'd never pay off my loans as a mechanic while living in the Bay Area. Found a job as a polisher at a sculpture fabrication firm and told my boss I was going to quit 6 months later to find a design job and he moved me into the design dept. So now I make spreadsheets and schedules and sometimes get to play in CAD and tell fabricators what to build.

Currently wavering between Ui/Ux design (read: Tech $$$) or stay in the realm of designing tangible things...
                          1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                            Currently wavering between Ui/Ux design (read: Tech $$$) or stay in the realm of designing tangible things...

Make money in tech while you can but keep the physical skills updated... I bet it’s hard to find someone who can do both.

Ezekiel 25:17
                            Current flame: E30 318iS Alpinweiss II slicktop / LSD - Joanne
                            The old man: 1970 2002 Polaris(ish) slicktop / rat rod - Wallace
                            The ex: E92 335i 6MT M-Sport - Betty
                            The heavy: 2001 4Runner SR5 Sport (3rd Gen) - Fred

Comment

went to school to get a CS degree, did a couple internships, moved to SF for a proper software job after graduating. After five years doing full-stack and performance work at a big website you've used, I jumped ship to a b2g startup in the GIS/data visualization space, and am now the resident grumpy senior engineer there.
                              cars beep boop

Comment

Last edited by dsobering47; 08-11-2019, 06:12 PM. Reason: edit

Comment

Working...
                                X