Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the University of California Police have the power to issue traffic citations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the University of California Police have the power to issue traffic citations?

This morning I went to get coffee and got a bit frisky in the new LS. (freaking thing has some power)

I was over 3/4 of a mile off the UCLA campus and was stopped by a UC Police officer who gave me a lecture after asking why the car had no plates (uh it is new officer)

He just told me to slow down. I think (1) he saw me go by from a side street he was on so could not accurately gauge my speed and (2) perhaps he cannot cite off campus as he is not LAPD.

I know from High School experience of being pulled over by LAPD in Beverly Hills that they cannot issue citations outside of their jurisdiction, but wonder if UC police can cite off campus, hence the question.

Before anyone gets huffy as to my speeding it was 5am and I was alone (apparently except for the officer)

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

absolutely. as long as they have a memorandum of understanding (MOU) from the local govt, they have the capacity to carry out law enforcement duties with in a given area. state college/univ pd jurisdiction usually extends off campus within a determined limit. they argue that since students also live and commute off or near campus so they have breadth there. SDSU PD can cite 2-3 miles in each direction extending from the campus.

edit:

PC 830.2

(b) A member of the University of California Police Department
    appointed pursuant to Section 92600 of the Education Code, provided
    that the primary duty of the peace officer shall be the enforcement
    of the law within the area specified in Section 92600 of the
    Education Code.

CALIFORNIA CODES
    EDUCATION CODE
    SECTION 92600-92601

92600. The Regents of the University of California are authorized
    and empowered to appoint one or more persons to be members of the
    University of California police department as such police department
    is constituted on September 19, 1947, or may thereafter be
    constituted. Persons employed and compensated as members of said
    police department, when so appointed and duly sworn, are peace
    officers; provided, that such officers shall not exercise their
    powers or authority except (a) upon the campuses of the University of
    California and an area within one mile of the exterior boundaries of
    each thereof, (b) in or about other grounds or properties owned,
    operated, controlled or administered by the Regents of the University
    of California, and (c) as provided in Section 830.2 of the Penal
    Code.

92601. Every member of the University of California police
    department shall be supplied with, and authorized to wear, a badge
    bearing the words "University of California Police."
    sigpic

Comment

Good to know. I think he had a reason for not issuing the citation (like unable to verify speed) because he had an attitude. He did not let me off because he liked me.

Thanks for the info.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

my frend was arrested by a university cop a couple years ago. they impounded his car also....i know, b.c i had to walk my ass home.
        IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

I see the local kollege kops sitting in the street in front of the school parking lot pulling people over all the time. It's a pretty small campus so they probably get bored and start picking people off on the busy street out front for fun.

Comment

I go to UCSD, and the UCSD police department is pretty much a division of the San Diego police. They've pulled me over several times and they've issued me a fix-it once.

But yeah, they kind of have a limit of jurisdiction. I know of a story where a person got in a car accident within 100 yards of the campus and the UC police dept said to call the other SD station.

Comment

ucsd police is NOT a division of san diego PD. they have their own equipment, chief, and are paid and pensioned by the state (CALPIRG), where as san diego PD is funded by the city and SDCERS.

Authority: The UCSD Police Department is empowered pursuant to section 830.2 (b) of the California Penal Code and fully subscribes to the standards of the California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST). UCSD Police Officers have peace officer authority anywhere in the State of California. They receive the same basic training as city and county peace officers throughout the state, plus additional training to meet the unique needs of a campus environment. The department handles all patrol, investigation, crime prevention education, and related law enforcement duties for the campus community and operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Jurisdiction: The primary jurisdiction of the UCSD Police Department is the University campus and one mile surrounding the campus, as indicated in the California Education Code section 92600.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X