A+ Certification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A+ Certification

I've been offered a decent salary from a local computer store that I've been visiting often recently. He said I'd need to get my A+ Certification first though. My dad took the course a long time ago, and all he remembers was that it was expensive. Is there anyone out there that has recently obtained their A+ Certification? Any advice on how to go about getting the certification would be greatly appreciated! I've worked on computer my whole life, so I'm definitely considering doing this if it'll push me in the right direction. Thanks!
    Last edited by aschmidt; 02-21-2007, 10:18 PM.
    -Adam Schmidt-

1988 Zinnoberrot 325iS ::dead::
    1988 Bronzit 325iS ::sold::
    1991 Alpine 318iS

good luck!

Comment

basically... when I took it I barely spoke english... and I passed!!! So all u need to know: printers, cables, CPU's (sockets #pins etc) little big of networking. I just did hardware part and I could get hired with just that.... it was $100 for hardware only ($130 for soft)
      sigpic

Comment

Those certifications are a joke, but people who are not computer savvy look at them and think they are something special.

If you have been working with computers your whole life, and know what you are doing, you can probably pass it with flying colors.

Comment

I am in IT and that's the easiest cert you can get. I got it about 5-6 years ago and it was cake, most of it you probably already know if you know what you doing with pc hardware and software, otherwise it's just a bunch of memorization from the book. Test was under $200 iirc.
          Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Wow, so there aren't any specific courses required before taking the test? Is there a place where I could get a free practice version of it? I'm pretty sure I'd be able to pass it, but I'd rather try a practice test before blowing $200 on the real deal.
            -Adam Schmidt-

1991 Alpine 318iS

Comment

I took a A+ course in HS. It was easy. I never took the actual test, but it was basics of building a computer, the components and stuff like that.
              :: PNW Crew ::
              '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

Like everyone else said, it's a simple test, no courses required.
                I passed the thing without even studying.

Not that it came in even slightly useful, but still good to have.

Comment

Originally posted by kommissar View Post
                  Those certifications are a joke, but people who are not computer savvy look at them and think they are something special.

If you have been working with computers your whole life, and know what you are doing, you can probably pass it with flying colors.
                  amen
                  http://bbswheels.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by aschmidt View Post
                    Wow, so there aren't any specific courses required before taking the test? Is there a place where I could get a free practice version of it? I'm pretty sure I'd be able to pass it, but I'd rather try a practice test before blowing $200 on the real deal.
                    search torrents for transcender and troy tech
                    http://bbswheels.blogspot.com

Comment

They just completely changed the test last month...I passed the hardware, but never got around to taking the sofware...Now the old test isn't worth shit. oh well, i never used it anyways..

If you know anything about computer internals it's easy, you just have to memorize some #s and know some shit about older OSs.
                      90is, longtube headers/straight pipe/mark d 18# 93 0ctane chip/18# injectors/vogtland springs/bilst. sports

:firehop:

Comment

Comment

Get your Cisco Certs, they can actually take you somewhere.
                          tasty

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the link!

Originally posted by s0urce View Post
                            Get your Cisco Certs, they can actually take you somewhere.
                            I'm not really looking to go somewhere with a computer certification of any kind. I'm in college and just looking to make a little extra money. My actual career goals are in electrical engineering...thanks though!
                            -Adam Schmidt-

1991 Alpine 318iS

Comment

I was going to get a job at a local computer repair shop that also sells WiFi intarweb, when the guy asked me if I had my A+ I literally just laughed at him. I just explained to him why that cert was a joke and I am not going to waste my time or money to take it (Although I did read the book cover to cover in HS).

Anyways after a bit of talking he realized I wasn't a complete idiot when it came to computers (although I also realized he was). He asks me if I knew windows 2003 (this was back when it was maybe a year old), I said I know a lot of 2000 and it shouldn't be that difficult to figure out whats going on. So he takes me back to his "server" to look at, and asks me what "Battlefield 1942 Crackz0r" is (or something like that). If you deal with a lot of stolen software like me you know what a legit program looks like and what a stolen one looks like. I had to explain to him how his current tech guy is running a stolen version of BF1942 server on this guys 2003 server. Then he blatantly told me he is going to fire his current tech.

By this point I knew this guy was dumb as a box of rocks, and I also noticed that the WEP key for the wifi was on a post-it note on the wall...

Yeah, I didn't even bother showing up for the "2nd" interview to actually get the job.
                              Rollin' with a Geistkuchen

Comment

Working...
                              X