Gun Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by myinfernalbmw View Post
    I'd skip the spooky loads on an 870. I'd install a +2 tube extension and practice reloading personally. I haven't found the 870 to be able to reliably run a ghost load. The biggest drawback to a shotgun is the capacity and being able to quickly get a shot off from empty is going to be far more valuable than sneaking an unreliable +1 into it.

Also if you're going to get your wife on it for home defense, I'd recommend practicing with low recoil defense loads. I know my wife wasn't a fan of shooting standard .mil boxed 00 buck at all and had no interest in picking up a shotgun after that. I don't know how familiar your wife is to guns and shooting, but please don't be the guy that hands her a shotgun without showing her how to properly shoulder it (if she doesn't already). One of the biggest turn offs to new shooters are getting beat up by a gun or freak out due to the unexpected recoil. Admittedly I used to find it funny watching morons get scope bite or knocked on their ass from the recoil on a shotgun, but I sure as hell don't want to stand near those people at the range, and more importantly don't want them to represent the broader gun community. (steps back off soapbox)
    She hasn't shot much, but she does know the basics. She can handle my 357 sp101, and back in the day she fired a round from my 30-06, screamed, then came back 5 minutes later to fire it again.

She is a small girl, but was raised in this life so while she isn't a very experienced shooter, she does have experience and knows what to expect.

Speaking of scope eye. Got a bloody finger from a 12 guage when I was around 8 years old and my grandfather said "OK, you aren't quite ready for that." Then when I was 10 I got my first scope eye from my dad's 30-06 lol.
    No E30 Club
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy
    Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
      Jack Bauer approves.
      I'm not even going to lie and say that had nothing to do with it :)
      2007 Range Rover Sport S/C

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
        She hasn't shot much, but she does know the basics. She can handle my 357 sp101, and back in the day she fired a round from my 30-06, screamed, then came back 5 minutes later to fire it again.

She is a small girl, but was raised in this life so while she isn't a very experienced shooter, she does have experience and knows what to expect.

Speaking of scope eye. Got a bloody finger from a 12 guage when I was around 8 years old and my grandfather said "OK, you aren't quite ready for that." Then when I was 10 I got my first scope eye from my dad's 30-06 lol.
        Lol I had a fun learning experience at an embarrassingly late stage (18ish years old) in my life with a pistol grip only 12ga loaded with heavy sabot slugs. I'm happy to report I didn't lose any teeth, but did come quite close.

Comment

Plotting (as always).

I have a bone stock ar carbine, and can't leave well enough alone. FF rail, or some sort of optic?
          BEERTECH

Comment

The obvious answer is both of course. I can't be of any real help. That PSA lower I got for my 7.5" meme gun quickly spiraled and now I'm in the process of assembling 3 different ARs lol.

Comment

Plotting (as always).

I have a bone stock ar carbine, and can't leave well enough alone. FF rail, or some sort of optic?

Without knowing what you have otherwise, the answer is ammo.

For a fighting rifle, I would rather have an optic first, ff rail gains nothing if you aren’t using a white light or PEQ. Most do not outshoot their capabilities of their rifle necessitating going free float with irons

Comment

Finally got to shoot some today. Had a friend wanting to go since he doesn't have a day job anymore(got let go and is trying to start up his consulting business) and his daughter flew in last night so all three of us went out.

It was really muddy but still fun!
                1990 325is
                m52b28
                3.73lsd
                g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Originally posted by eternal24k View Post
                  Without knowing what you have otherwise, the answer is ammo.

For a fighting rifle, I would rather have an optic first, ff rail gains nothing if you aren’t using a white light or PEQ. Most do not outshoot their capabilities of their rifle necessitating going free float with irons
                  Ammo is always a consideration, but have a decent supply. I don't have the time or locations to really shoot rifles much, so this is really a hypothetical exercise. I've never gotten beyond the basics with any long gun, always been a pistol guy, so I'm not out shooting anything.

Practically speaking, I'll never try to reach out beyond 100yds, never shoot for tiny groups, just do some blasting with the old man. Red dot makes sense for that I think. Handguard down the road, if ever.
                  BEERTECH

Comment

Ammo is always a consideration, but have a decent supply. I don't have the time or locations to really shoot rifles much, so this is really a hypothetical exercise. I've never gotten beyond the basics with any long gun, always been a pistol guy, so I'm not out shooting anything.

Practically speaking, I'll never try to reach out beyond 100yds, never shoot for tiny groups, just do some blasting with the old man. Red dot makes sense for that I think. Handguard down the road, if ever.
                    Sig Romeo5 is your answer. $120 and you have a decent reliable little red dot. Just buy an extra battery, throw it in your bag and you will be good for years.

I regret buying an eotech for my first carbine optic. It’s great and all, but overkill for what I need( same type use as you describe) Would have been better getting a Sig and more ammo.

Comment

+1 for the SIG Romeo5. I have one and it's great!

Though I found out I have a astigmatism...
                      1990 325is
                      m52b28
                      3.73lsd

Comment

So I should stop looking at ACOGs?;D
                        BEERTECH

Comment

I shot my buddies Vortex Strikefire and liked that a lot. I just got a Sparc as a part of a PSA lower kit and I haven't shot it yet, but it seems solid enough. Figured it was worth the extra $90 to throw it on for my 9mm AR pistol. Just waiting on my endomag kits and I'll be ready to go to the range with this guy.

Comment

Sparc AR is a great optic for the money.

As far as fit, finish, and operation if felt just as good as my Eotech (minus the holo part.)

Unless taking it to battle, the Vortex is an easy choice.
                            No E30 Club
                            Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                            Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

I love some pump-action guns. I have my father's Mossberg 500. This is the bad-ass shotgun. :devil:

Comment

My wife has a mossberg 500 and I have a 870. I have to say her 500 is nicer than mine, but she payed more for hers. Hers has a ported barrel and the design makes it lighter than the 870. It shoots softer as well.
                                1990 325is
                                m52b28
                                3.73lsd

Comment

Working...
                                X