No announcement yet.

Gun Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What makes the Glock a "good first pistol," I wonder? Is it the fact that it has no external safeties and is notorious for accidental discharges?

Search the firearms forums for "GLOCK AD" and see how many people have shot themselves in the hand while disassembling the gun (due to the fact that you have to pull the trigger in order to drop the hammer) and how many people have shot themselves in the leg/foot while reholstering (due to the fact that the only safety is on the face of the trigger).

Make no mistake, carrying a Glock is basically carrying a single action pistol in Condition Zero: cocked and unlocked. Not my idea of safe! At least a 1911 gives you a thumb safety and a grip safety.
    sigpic
    1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: Vintage Racer
    2010 BMW (E90) 335xi sedan: Grocery Getter

Comment

Originally posted by Emre View Post
      What makes the Glock a "good first pistol," I wonder? Is it the fact that it has no external safeties and is notorious for accidental discharges?

Search the firearms forums for "GLOCK AD" and see how many people have shot themselves in the hand while disassembling the gun (due to the fact that you have to pull the trigger in order to drop the hammer) and how many people have shot themselves in the leg/foot while reholstering (due to the fact that the only safety is on the face of the trigger).

Make no mistake, carrying a Glock is basically carrying a single action pistol in Condition Zero: cocked and unlocked. Not my idea of safe! At least a 1911 gives you a thumb safety and a grip safety.

The only way your going to shoot you self with a glock is if your a dumb ass. If you do you deserve it. And glocks have such light triggers:roll: of I dont see how so STFU.
      84 318I Delphin RIP
      87 325IS delphin 24v Sold
      89 325 Alpineweiss

Comment

Originally posted by 416stroker View Post
        The only way your going to shoot you self with a glock is if your a dumb ass. If you do you deserve it.
        If Glocks are so failsafe, then how come you're so scared of the 1911? If cocked and unlocked is so safe, then what's so dangerous about cocked and locked?

And glocks have such light triggers:roll:
        It's not about the lightness of the trigger. It's about the fact that the gun is half-cocked and anything in the trigger guard can cause the gun to go off. Besides, there are plenty of 1911's with heavier triggers than a stock Glock. The P-35 is much heavier. If you're so comfortable with the Glock, then why be so scared of a 1911 or Hi-Power? Doesn't make sense.

And FWIW, the stock trigger on Glocks suck so bad that almost every serious Glock owner upgrades them. Once they've been upgraded, they're just as light (though not as short, obviously) as a tuned 1911...and lighter than most stock 1911's.

I dont see how so STFU.
        Think harder. Just because you don't see how, doesn't make it so. Search the forums. There are far more reported AD's with Glocks than any other pistol. Basically, anything slipping into the trigger guard while reholsering can cause an AD.
        Last edited by Emre; 10-21-2009, 08:54 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

Emre,

Your dumb on this subject! Please go back to playing Xbox!
          Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs!

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Glocks do exactly what they are supposed to do, just like revolvers and any other firearm that doesn't have a mechanical safety.

Anyone that shoots themselves with a Glock is not trained properly or negligent, and would probably do it with any other firearm, despite the safety mechanism. They don't just "go off".

Even the most basic, run of the mill 1911 has a lighter (and shorter) trigger than a Glock, so that comparison is NA.

The best first pistol depends entirely on the individual, but I always recommend a .22 or a S&W Model 10.
            BEERTECH

Comment

Originally posted by rob View Post
              glocks do exactly what they are supposed to do, just like revolvers and any other firearm that doesn't have a mechanical safety.

Anyone that shoots themselves with a glock is not trained properly or negligent, and would probably do it with any other firearm, despite the safety mechanism. They don't just "go off".

Even the most basic, run of the mill 1911 has a lighter (and shorter) trigger than a glock, so that comparison is na.

The best first pistol depends entirely on the individual, but i always recommend a .22 or a s&w model 10.

+1

Comment

I completely agree with rob. I used to sell guns, I have owned and/or shot just about every gun spoken of in the last several pages. With little exceptions all modern pistols are going to have their strengths and weaknesses.
                No Company, including Glock, is going to put out an unsafe pistol. There is too much money to be lost and too muck liability in putting out an unafe product, especially one, like a pistol, that can kill. (Discounting the likes of Jennings)
                Most first time pistol buyers that I sold to usually walked out of the shop with the following: S&W 600 series revolver, Glock 17/19, S&W M&P, XD series, or Sig 229 in that order.
                I usually pushed revolvers on first time buyers, since they are by far the easiest pistols to maintain and operate; they never break.
                The Glock/M&P/XD are all intrinsicly the same gun from a design/functionality/reliability stand point. They are all striker-fired "DAO" type pistols. Very reliable, and easily maintained, they are a good service gun but not something I would concider a 'precision' platform.
                Finally the Sig (Disclaimer: I am a Sig-Snob) is a good mix of service and precision. With the SA/DA trigger, it allowes you to be much more precise, and allowes better tuning of the firearm. They are also VERY reliable. If the price point scares you, look into a Certified Pre-owened Sig, they are available from any Full-line Sig dealer, run around the $500-600 range and carry the full sig warrantee.
                The argument for what feels better in your hand is valid. If it is un-comfortable to hold, it WILL be uncomfortable to shoot. Also, don't hesitate to look at offerings from the 'other' brands. CZ, Walther, Beretta, Stoeger, etc. all make fine pistols.
                Do your research, test to the best of your ability and ask lots of questions and you will succeed.

1984 Hennarot 325e - 1990 Brillantrot M3 - 1938 Buick Special Business Coupe

Comment

Thanks Ranier for expanding a little more. I'm still leanin toward the Glock 23 because of the rising price of 9mm and it's getting as hard as .223 to find.

PM me for detailing services in the Longmont / Boulder Area in Colorado!
                  Originally posted by DTM190
                  "fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

Originally posted by Vedubin01 View Post
                    Your dumb on this subject! Please go back to playing Xbox!
                    I've been shooting since the early 1990s and I was a competitive shooter for close to 5 years. Won my first PPC championship back in 1997. I think I know a thing or two about handguns.

But I have to keep reminding myself that this is r3v, which is populated by high school students.

If you could read, you would have seen that I'm not bashing Glocks. I'm bashing the idea that someone new to CCW should carry a Glock (because it's "safe") and avoid a 1911 (because it's "dangerous"). That's just dumb. In fact, the evidence shows that AD's are fairly common with Glocks.

I know hip hop videos present Glocks as magical devices, but the reality is that they have significant limits. If light weight (despite significant bulk), high capacity, and cheap price are your primary measures of handgun quality, then the Glock is surely number 1. Some of us value other things. Like precision and a decent trigger pull.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Emre View Post
                      I've been shooting since the early 1990s and I was a competitive shooter for close to 5 years. Won my first PPC championship back in 1997. I think I know a thing or two about handguns.
                      Right!

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

JMTCW, I am not making any judgment on what to get or which one is better these are just my observations. My experience started sometime around 1965 with the 1911 and about 10 years ago with the Glock. I love my 1911 and for someone with a small hand it works very well. I also love my Glock but for different reasons. If I was to go to battle I would take the Glock, and if it got dirty or fell in the mud I have confidence that it would allow me to keep on fighting. The 1911 is a little tighter and needs a little more TLC to keep it shooting.

With practice a Glock will shoot just as well as a 1911. The Glock does not have as much weight so it is easier to pull off the target but after you shoot a thousand or so rounds you learn to love its simplicity and can get to be a darn good shot with it.

I believe that the 1911 is safer than a Glock but we must remember to be smart and keep our fingers off the trigger until we have something we want to kill in the sights. I have shot several thousand rounds through my Glock and have never come close to an AD.

The Key is to pick one and don't change around guns for CCW. When I took my test at the Police range for the CCW I took two guns to qualify with. The XD 40 is my beater and rides with me when I feel the need. If it gets scratched I don’t care. If it doesn’t get cleaned after every shoot I don’t care. It has never let me down and I do not take good care of it. The other one is a Kimber CDP in 45 cal which I bought just for the CCW. I chose this gun because of the knock down power of the 45 ACP and my experience shooting a 1911 style handgun. This gun is just damn sweet and it’s my baby. Unlike the XD it gets cleaned with a tooth pick and magnifying glass to help my old eyes out. I had shot lots and lots of rounds through both guns but when I went to qualify I got confused with the safety during the draw and shoot portion of the test. The cop told me that is why the police have the same type of firearm for their primary and back up guns. This suggestion has always stuck with me.

This may have already been said in previous posts. I did not read all of them because I have gotten caught up in this fight on other Gun related forums. Go shoot as many rounds as you can afford with the guns you feel you like the best and let the gun decide for you. Shoot double taps but no more and see how the group looks. Which one are you most accurate with and which one is most comfortable in you hand when you fire it. On a secondary note, check which one slides into concealment the best for you.

I am not big on 9mm for self defense but that is the old gun nut school that bigger is better for knock down. For my wife that was not the right answer. Her preference was a Sig 9mm. She shoots that Sig well and when needed she hits the target even on the second and third shot.

Good luck with your choice and go shooting when every you have a chance.

Cheers,

Jim
                        sigpic

Comment

^^^ good advice!

Comment

I'm interested in getting rid of my starter Kel-tec 9mm and moving up. I've got the Colt 44 Anaconda which is just too big. I can't bring myself to get rid of it even though It was stolen and recovered. I would like to know more about the Colt 1911. I know Colt is not what they used to be back in the day, but I would still like to have one. I'm not looking for a collectors edition, nothing extremely old or new. I'm interested in the gun for it's build quality, long service history, and availability. Where I need help is in deciphering which model within this 1911 model to focus on. Thanks.
                            i'lldoitforacaravan

Comment

Originally posted by IronmanE30 View Post
                              JMTCW, I am not making any judgment on what to get or which one is better these are just my observations. My experience started sometime around 1965 with the 1911 and about 10 years ago with the Glock. I love my 1911 and for someone with a small hand it works very well. I also love my Glock but for different reasons. If I was to go to battle I would take the Glock, and if it got dirty or fell in the mud I have confidence that it would allow me to keep on fighting. The 1911 is a little tighter and needs a little more TLC to keep it shooting.

With practice a Glock will shoot just as well as a 1911. The Glock does not have as much weight so it is easier to pull off the target but after you shoot a thousand or so rounds you learn to love its simplicity and can get to be a darn good shot with it.

I believe that the 1911 is safer than a Glock but we must remember to be smart and keep our fingers off the trigger until we have something we want to kill in the sights. I have shot several thousand rounds through my Glock and have never come close to an AD.

The Key is to pick one and don't change around guns for CCW. When I took my test at the Police range for the CCW I took two guns to qualify with. The XD 40 is my beater and rides with me when I feel the need. If it gets scratched I don’t care. If it doesn’t get cleaned after every shoot I don’t care. It has never let me down and I do not take good care of it. The other one is a Kimber CDP in 45 cal which I bought just for the CCW. I chose this gun because of the knock down power of the 45 ACP and my experience shooting a 1911 style handgun. This gun is just damn sweet and it’s my baby. Unlike the XD it gets cleaned with a tooth pick and magnifying glass to help my old eyes out. I had shot lots and lots of rounds through both guns but when I went to qualify I got confused with the safety during the draw and shoot portion of the test. The cop told me that is why the police have the same type of firearm for their primary and back up guns. This suggestion has always stuck with me.

This may have already been said in previous posts. I did not read all of them because I have gotten caught up in this fight on other Gun related forums. Go shoot as many rounds as you can afford with the guns you feel you like the best and let the gun decide for you. Shoot double taps but no more and see how the group looks. Which one are you most accurate with and which one is most comfortable in you hand when you fire it. On a secondary note, check which one slides into concealment the best for you.

I am not big on 9mm for self defense but that is the old gun nut school that bigger is better for knock down. For my wife that was not the right answer. Her preference was a Sig 9mm. She shoots that Sig well and when needed she hits the target even on the second and third shot.

Good luck with your choice and go shooting when every you have a chance.

Cheers,

Jim
                              Thanks Jim for your input. In all honesty I had planned on only buying one pistol at first, or sticking with one brand, and really getting used to it before venturing out. This of course, is after I hold several and hopefully get to shoot a variety. I will say I really hope I can rent and shoot a few different models before deciding, and after initially holding a Glock 9mm.... It felt good.

PM me for detailing services in the Longmont / Boulder Area in Colorado!
                              Originally posted by DTM190
                              "fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

Originally posted by Vedubin01 View Post
                                Right!
                                do you even know what PPC is? No Google please
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X