No announcement yet.

Gun Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any particular reasons why neither of you are not a fan of Taurus? I've grown tired of the XD and want a full-frame semi auto. I've looked at 1911s but would like to stick with 9mm for now until I get a kimber.

-Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick325is View Post
      Any particular reasons why neither of you are not a fan of Taurus? I've grown tired of the XD and want a full-frame semi auto. I've looked at 1911s but would like to stick with 9mm for now until I get a kimber.

-Nick

I just do not like the quality of their product or the way it shoots. They seem to be on the lower end of the gun makes available.

Comment

I keep that SigPro close by me & the 226 is a "safe queen" - reason is so if I ever use the 2022, it won't hurt to give it up to the cops - where if I had to give up that 226 on the right I'd be bummed. They are both 357sig.

Keeping a cheap Taurus for H.D. is just smart money.

It's not how you handle the good times, but the faith you keep in the bad that defines you.

Comment

Those are the taurus versions of the Beretta 92 series correct? No, I wouldn't trade an XD for it. While I'm a Glock/CZ guy, the XD is a fine weapon, and I vastly prefer one single trigger pull over DA/SA.
          BEERTECH

Comment

Not sure if you were addressing me Rob, but both in my pic are Sigs.

Left is a 2022 Sigpro & right is a late issue 226 with the stainless frame. They killed that full stainless 226 in favor of a Sig that has a beaver tail (229 - IDK). I don't like the beaver tails personally, so whatever the update gun is won't be something I would bother buying.

I like the DA/SA guns personally - that way I can keep a round chambered & just pull the trigger to make it go 'bang' vs. having to cock & pull. To each their own I guess. If I'm in a bad spot I'd rather be able to use one hand to push off/away someone, and have the other hand able to reliably operate the gun independantly.

It's not how you handle the good times, but the faith you keep in the bad that defines you.

Comment

I was addressing the guy talking about trading a XD for a Taurus.
              BEERTECH

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                I was addressing the guy talking about trading a XD for a Taurus.

Gotcha, I wasn't sure what was going on there - and so far you've shown yourself as someone I defer to as far as gun stuff goes. Just because I have a few is far from a reason to think I know squat.

Personal view - XD>Taurus. I've shot only one XD (it was a 357sig), but I thought it a far tighter & well built gun than a Taurus. I only have shot one Tuarus, but it was a 9mm that was fairly new (<2500 rounds), and the slide felt pretty loose to me, not quite as sloppy as my 1911 with >20K rounds from me, and I'd bet another 15-20K rounds before I got it - but that Tuarus was 75% as sloppy as my 60+ year old Colt. That's kind of sad really.
                -----------------------------------------

Separate Topic

Anyone know/have experience with Keltec PLR - 16 's?

I've been eyeing them hard, and I think it would be a great intermediate size gun that would get me into .223's - all I'm at so far is a AR-10 on .308's

I'd like to get all the extras that get banned when we get Dem's in office for an ar-15 (.223), but I really don't feel like having a redundant full size rifle right now - but this little PLR - 16 seems like much smarter money to me vs. buying a MAC-10 offshoot for roughly the same cash, plus I'm in a real rifle cartridge vs. either .45 or 9mm in those MAC copies. AND it interchanges hi-cap mags with AR's - so it's like the best of both worlds, at least in my eyes.

The big problem - nobody local has one. Nobody local has shot one. Nobody even knows what I'm talking about. See the trend here?

Can anyone give me real real reasons to either buy or pass on a PLR -16 ?

Comment

Originally posted by LINUS View Post
                  Separate Topic
                  Anyone know/have experience with Keltec PLR - 16 's?

I've been eyeing them hard, and I think it would be a great intermediate size gun that would get me into .223's - all I'm at so far is a AR-10 on .308's

I'd like to get all the extras that get banned when we get Dem's in office for an ar-15 (.223), but I really don't feel like having a redundant full size rifle right now - but this little PLR - 16 seems like much smarter money to me vs. buying a MAC-10 offshoot for roughly the same cash, plus I'm in a real rifle cartridge vs. either .45 or 9mm in those MAC copies. AND it interchanges hi-cap mags with AR's - so it's like the best of both worlds, at least in my eyes.

The big problem - nobody local has one. Nobody local has shot one. Nobody even knows what I'm talking about. See the trend here?

Can anyone give me real real reasons to either buy or pass on a PLR -16 ?
                  IMHO, I'd say no to the Keltec PLR 16, "IF" you don't have an AR15 rifle yet. The reason is you are going to be shooting a rifle round anyways then you might as well shoot it out of a rifle. You will be more accurate with a rifle than with that pistol version of an AR.

As far as things being banned, you can't go wrong with picking up an AR lower. You can build it up a little at a time, not like the PLR. Plus if you do it right you can pick up an AR lower & then build it up to either a pistol type AR or a rifle. Just my . HTH.

Rey
                  "Simply because you can breathe doesn't mean you're ALIVE or that you really LIVE...." - Rise Against

Comment

I have a full-size rifle, just it's a .308 - Armalite AR-10T to be exact. I love it entirely, and it's mine for life. I'm just greedy.

I'm just looking to break into the .223 world - if I could use a lower that would mate up to a fullsize barrel & a shorter setup like a Keltec, that would be cool too.

I could figure out building up a fullsize AR, but I never have seen a shorter barrel FS - anyone know of any?

Comment

I'm just looking to break into the .223 world - if I could use a lower that would mate up to a fullsize barrel & a shorter setup like a Keltec, that would be cool too.

I could figure out building up a fullsize AR, but I never have seen a shorter barrel FS - anyone know of any?
                      Once you buy the lower and decide to build it its either pistol type or carbine sized. You CANNOT put a barrel shorter than 16" on a rifle or put any kind of stock on a pistol type firearm whether it be a rifle round or pistol round. UNLESS you want to go into the SBR & NFA type of firearms. You live in a Class 3 state, so all these options are open to you. HTH.

Rey
                      "Simply because you can breathe doesn't mean you're ALIVE or that you really LIVE...." - Rise Against

Comment

Originally posted by ///M0F01SD View Post
                        Once you buy the lower and decide to build it its either pistol type or carbine sized. You CANNOT put a barrel shorter than 16" on a rifle or put any kind of stock on a pistol type firearm whether it be a rifle round or pistol round. UNLESS you want to go into the SBR & NFA type of firearms. You live in a Class 3 state, so all these options are open to you. HTH.

Rey

I think the lowers are designated, from what I have seen anyways, for either pistol use only or non marked which are for rifle use.

LINUS --- If you are wanting to get into the .223 AR rifle before the dems take them away from us. Just get yourself a stripped down lower and figure out which butt stock you want to go with as they are more than likely going to ban the collapsable stocks and have heard they were thinking of banning the shorter(18") barrels as well as high cap mags too. Since you have a AR10 you know these rifles can be customized more than the e30 you have and damn near as addictive too. Personally I am not a fan of the Stag Arms or DPMS brands of these rifles. I have 2 friends who have each of those brands and I am just not pleased with the quality or the loose feeling their rifles have.

I am fixing to pick up at least 6-12 stripped lowers for resale before they are banned, and probably several collapsable stocks as well just in case. Will also be getting a stripped AR10 lower for personal use as well. I have been watching this stuff over the last year and the prices of these parts seem to be creaping up some.

I built up a Rock River lower w/2 stage match trigger and a command arms collapsable stock with adjustable cheek rest. And a Rock River flat top upper w/ tactical carry handle(removable) and a YHM mid length quad fore-end and flip up front sight on a r4 barrel w/a2 flash hider. Damn thing is a nail driver for sure.

OBTW Linus nice Sigs that you have. I am also a fan of the .357sig round as my carry piece (Glock 33) is in that round
                        Last edited by atomic; 11-20-2007, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by robbieosterman
                          How do you like the AR-10?

I've been trying to figure out whether to go toward an AR15, or an AR10.
                          I love it. Without sparking a whole .223 - .308 debate, I simply think the best thing to do is buy soon. The only reason I started with a AR-10 was that I never thought I'd be getting another AR (who else here thought that - haha) -- But my methodology at the time was to standardize on a few rounds, and keep it simple. I already have a bolt action .308 for deer, so an AR-10 made more sense at the time.

I had standardized on 12g shotgun, .308 rifle, and .45auto - but then I went & broke all that by getting into Sigs with their 357sig round

Then I got into 9mm luger with a little P11 I keep for when I don't feel like packing a fullsize.

See where this is going?

My big thing now is gather up a few guns I bet won't be around or affordable for long after Bush leaves office. We as gun owners have had it good for the past 8 years, I just don't think it will hold out.

-Now if I was you, I'd look at what I plan to do with the gun & let that determine which way you go - .308's are fairly expensive to feed, but there's good reason the military has dusted off a bunch of M14's & sent them to the sandbox.

Then again, .223 is no slouch either - plus if you are worried about needing to pack lots of rounds to a spot I personally would rather carry 300 .223's than 200 .308's around.

See what I mean? - it's a total mess to try & argue one way or the other. All I can say is that any AR that you find for a decent price will give you decades of fun & service - it's up to you to decide if you need the 7.62 or the 5.56
                          -------------------
                          A bit more on track, I bought the Armalite AR-10T before there really were many other options out there. I have the National Match trigger, & the Lothar Walther stainless barrel - all in all a package that for the price I paid I coouldn't have built I don't think. I have never regretted the purchase.
                          -------------------

PLR - 16's Anybody know the parts to build one using a standard AR lower?

Or do any of you have experience with one? Build Quality? Reliability?

Comment

Never have seen a PLR-16 in person either so not much help. I will be at a gun show this weekend and will keep an eye out for one and ask questions if there is one there.

Comment

A buddy of mine emailed it to me and thought I would post this here since it is gun related although it is a youtube video. ENJOY !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHs9k...eature=related ASSUME NWS

Comment

-------------------

PLR - 16's Anybody know the parts to build one using a standard AR lower?

Or do any of you have experience with one? Build Quality? Reliability?
                                Keltecs are a completely different lower/upper system. You can't use a standard AR lower or upper for this system.

You can't even use AR specific buttstocks on the Keltecs. I'm not really sure what parts is exchangeable besides the magazines. HTH.

Rey

Comment

Working...
                                X