No announcement yet.

Gun Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kind of let down by FN on this. They are local to me so I want to love their guns!

Had feed issues with my old FNP 45, but I absolutely loved it aside from the fact that I couldn't rely on it. Then they killed the FNP and released the FNX that addressed those issues specifically, but they left us FNP guys hanging and never acknowledged that it was a design flaw.

Now, they are shipping guns out that don't work out of the box? Kind of bugs me. These are duty weapons, not Kimber beauty pieces.

Even my Colt New Agent worked out of the box and hasn't had a single issue.

Keep us updated please.
    No E30 Club
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy
    Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
      Kind of let down by FN on this. They are local to me so I want to love their guns!

Had feed issues with my old FNP 45, but I absolutely loved it aside from the fact that I couldn't rely on it. Then they killed the FNP and released the FNX that addressed those issues specifically, but they left us FNP guys hanging and never acknowledged that it was a design flaw.

Now, they are shipping guns out that don't work out of the box? Kind of bugs me. These are duty weapons, not Kimber beauty pieces.

Even my Colt New Agent worked out of the box and hasn't had a single issue.

Keep us updated please.

I got some 124gr american eagle, winchester and 124gr winchester +p shot 50 rounds. Put 3 rounds through silver spring. Had feed issue 2/3 rounds went back to yellow spring and only had 3 issues out of 47 remaining rounds. Leave gun with slide back and silver spring in to soften it some for a few days. Id say my issue is fixed. I think the reason behind it is cause the gun was designed for military use and military grade ammo. Us civilians use cheaper stuff. Thus the issue and reason to using higher power 124gr rounds.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
      1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
      Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
      Mtech 2 turbo restoration
      Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
        I got some 124gr american eagle, winchester and 124gr winchester +p shot 50 rounds. Put 3 rounds through silver spring. Had feed issue 2/3 rounds went back to yellow spring and only had 3 issues out of 47 remaining rounds. Leave gun with slide back and silver spring in to soften it some for a few days. Id say my issue is fixed. I think the reason behind it is cause the gun was designed for military use and military grade ammo. Us civilians use cheaper stuff. Thus the issue and reason to using higher power 124gr rounds.

Honestly, I think you are giving them too much of the benefit of doubt. I would not take a 6% failure rate, but that is just me. Storing with the slide back will have negligible impact unless they use absolute junk springs, cycling has a far greater impact on wearing a spring.

Also wondering what the 3 failures with the yellow spring were. First you mentioned FTEs, then FTF with silver spring.

Comment

Originally posted by eternal24k View Post
          Honestly, I think you are giving them too much of the benefit of doubt. I would not take a 6% failure rate, but that is just me. Storing with the slide back will have negligible impact unless they use absolute junk springs, cycling has a far greater impact on wearing a spring.

Also wondering what the 3 failures with the yellow spring were. First you mentioned FTEs, then FTF with silver spring.

Im just basing off what I was told. The guy said if it absolutely wont shoot the AE then to send it in. The 3 failures with the yellow spring were Failure to feed and eject. Iirc 2 of them were Failure to feed but the slide cycled back and when going forward the new round got jammed against the feed ramp and slide. I got it to duplicate it with snap caps and it was happening when the slide wasn’t going far enough back and then coming forward which would be from a stiff spring. The last one was an Failure to eject the spent casing got caught between the barrel and the slide as it was coming out. These recoil springs are very stiff and guys on the 509 forum said they stored with slide back and had some success but yes using it is gonna be more effective you just wanna get the spring to its full elasticity to help soften it.

As for giving them too much benefit of doubt. I think thats just how I am. I always give people the benefit until Im proven wrong. I’m a relaxed guy and don’t let things like this get to me i just take it and move on. I didn’t even get a bit of anger when it happened. Just said darn time to find the issue and fix.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Your a better man than I. I don’t think I would tolerate that sort of failure rate from a $450 pistol, or even a highpoint. I wouldn’t be a dick to whoever I deal with, but would let them know it’s performance is not tolerable. Guns are not toys. Malfunctions are dangerous wether in a life or death situation or just plinking. It increases the chance of an accident. That is why I buy brands like FN, HK, Sig, as I am sure why you chose FN. We as consumers pay more for the quality to avoid the exact issues your having. I have several pistols that have never had an issue period, with 115, 124, and 147gr loads. I hope it clears up for you and functions flawlessly from now on, but I would def express your disappointment to them. I look at it as my firearm is not reliable in a worst case situation, not a unpleasant experience at the range.

No firearm, especially a duty style gun, should ship knowingly being unreliable in any situation. FN needs to correct this not just for you, but for their own reputation. If this is a one off deal with them I would totally give them a pass, it’s a machine and sometimes things like that happen. But since it appears they know of the issue, and chose to not modify the spring,to save $$$, and ship out malfunctioning guns to consumers is a big no no in my opinion.
            Last edited by naplesE30; 11-27-2018, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by naplesE30 View Post
              Your a better man than I. I don’t think I would tolerate that sort of failure rate from a $450 pistol, or even a highpoint. I wouldn’t be a dick to whoever I deal with, but would let them know it’s performance is not tolerable. Guns are not toys. Malfunctions are dangerous wether in a life or death situation or just plinking. It increases the chance of an accident. That is why I buy brands like FN, HK, Sig, as I am sure why you chose FN. We as consumers pay more for the quality to avoid the exact issues your having. I have several pistols that have never had an issue period, with 115, 124, and 147gr loads. I hope it clears up for you and functions flawlessly from now on, but I would def express your disappointment to them. I look at it as my firearm is not reliable in a worst case situation, not a unpleasant experience at the range.

No firearm, especially a duty style gun, should ship knowingly being unreliable in any situation. FN needs to correct this not just for you, but for their own reputation. If this is a one off deal with them I would totally give them a pass, it’s a machine and sometimes things like that happen. But since it appears they know of the issue, and chose to not modify the spring,to save $$$, and ship out malfunctioning guns to consumers is a big no no in my opinion.

I think it comes from my line or work. Anything that can go wrong usually does so any more I shrug it off and proceed. I do hope they fix this issue whether it be a recall or change the spring for future guns. This weekend I’m going to try and put at-least 200 more rounds through it if i can get the ability to get to the range. If it has any issues. I will call them and tell them i want it fixed. This was going to be my carry weapon but until i get at least 1000 flawless rounds I’ll continue to use my ruger lc380 which has never let me down. I have not lost trust in the weapon as I’ve never built trust with it. But i will make sure its flawless before risking putting it in a life or death situation

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

I'm going to jump on the "that's lame" bandwagon. No modern service pistol should require a break in IMHO. Something high end that's extensively hand fit? Maybe...although if I dropped $5k on a custom 1911, it better F'ing work. But the 509 is a 9mm service sized pistol. Nothing magical there, so it should work out of the box.

To expand, I totally understand its difficult to engineer something to cover all bases, without knowing exactly what people will feed it ($200/case shit bulk ammo to $1.50/round hot stuff), but it seems like every other manufacturer has figured it out. I would think that FN, with their reputation and status as a huge .mil supplier would be the same.

Is it a big deal? Nah, not really. But these things are relatively simple machines, so they should be able to run out of the box.
                Last edited by Rob; 11-30-2018, 05:55 AM.
                BEERTECH

Comment

Thing is, it's a lack of foresight on FNs part. They designed the FNP45 to replace the M9, so they sized the magazines to mil spec cartridge length.

Then in the civilian world, the magazines would hang up on all the cheaper ammo. Instead of recalling it, they released the FNX with longer magazines and added a fully supported chamber.

Saying that this gun doesn't work because you aren't using military or law enforcement loads just tells me they haven't learned their lesson.
                  No E30 Club
                  Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                  Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                    Thing is, it's a lack of foresight on FNs part. They designed the FNP45 to replace the M9, so they sized the magazines to mil spec cartridge length.

Then in the civilian world, the magazines would hang up on all the cheaper ammo. Instead of recalling it, they released the FNX with longer magazines and added a fully supported chamber.

Saying that this gun doesn't work because you aren't using military or law enforcement loads just tells me they haven't learned their lesson.

This true but I’ve also noticed alot more people switching to the hotter loads in general so maybe they are trying to be preemptive but laking in making sure customers are aware. If they were to of made the spring softer for the 115gr they would wear out quickly for the hotter 124’s. Seems like they made the spring stiffer for the hotter loads and then after the break in periods its at were it needs to be for the 124 and can use the 115. Either way it sucks they say nothing about this in the manual and it wouldn’t be so bad if they had. But whats done is done I will break er in and then enjoy my pistol.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

200 rounds through it today with not a single issue. Locking the slide back all week helped too. So lesson learned when buying an FN pistol lock the slide back for a week and use 124gr if buying 9mm

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                        200 rounds through it today with not a single issue. Locking the slide back all week helped too. So lesson learned when buying an FN pistol lock the slide back for a week and use 124gr if buying 9mm

Wow, that’s a weak spring. Wonder how many rounds they last

Comment

Originally posted by eternal24k View Post
                          Wow, that’s a weak spring. Wonder how many rounds they last

Well I’ve seen people with 5k+ rounds through them and haven’t had to replace them.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

So all that being said, how does it shoot?
                            BEERTECH

Comment

FN is a bit of a disappointment.

Baltimore PD got rid of the FNs quickly. There are many police turn-ins and there were never many PDs to make the jump from their Glocks or S&W.

I do love the PS90.
                              ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                                So all that being said, how does it shoot?

After dust settled with the initial break in period being resolved. Its one of my favorite guns and I wont be getting rid of it anytime soon. I actually ordered a Leupold DPP for it to take advantage of the optics system.

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
                                FN is a bit of a disappointment.

Baltimore PD got rid of the FNs quickly. There are many police turn-ins and there were never many PDs to make the jump from their Glocks or S&W.

I do love the PS90.

Yea my PS90 is blast to shoot. Unless you have deep pockets its more of a gun you take out 2-3 times a year. With 50 round mags one box of ammo goes into a mag and they are 29.99 a box and its stupid easy to burn up a mag with the minimal amount of recoil and effort it takes to shoot it.

I still love FN’s and will be getting more down the road, but not for a while as they are on the pricey side of the firearm market.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Working...
                                X