Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have experience with Ducati Motorcycles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have experience with Ducati Motorcycles?

So I got my motorcycle endorsement the other day by taking a class at the local CC, and now I'm interested in a bike.

I really don't want a honda/suzuki/kawasaki sportbike. Maybe a Honda, but only like a 600RR or something.

I think about a dual-sport bike to learn on for a while like Kawasaki D/s 600 or something (which, I'm told, is an AWESOME commuter bike).

I have decided that I do want a sport bike after riding a harley (Effin heavy man... no fun). I'm thinking along the lines of a 729 Ducati to start out with. I just sold my e36 m3 and one of the other m3's is on its way out the door shortly hopefully (NOT the red one) so there may be room in the stable for something with two wheels.

So anyone have any experience with Ducati? I'm not in a rush to get this done, I'm just interested to see what's out there and get some personal experience/testimonials.

Cheers guys.
    PNW Crew
    90 m3
    06 m5

I've had a 996 and a 900 Supersport. Ducatis are wonderful motorcycles, but expensive to own and operate. Also, they are not very comfortable, except for the Multistrada and the ST2 and ST4, which are more touring oriented. Valve adjustements have to occur every 6000 miles and can run you a couple hundred. They are very sporting and visceral compared to the jap bikes.
    That said, I wouldn't get one as my first bike. Get a cheap Jap bike, like the KLR650 or Suzuki SV650. You will probably tip it over a couple of times and don't want a full fairing bike because those plastic bits don't crash well. Get a cheap naked bike and have fun.

Comment

bad first bike choice, but if you're hooked on the brand (I am), consider a monster. They're a little less of a handfull then the 996's

Also look for a used airhead bmw r-bike, or even a used k75. Good bikes that won't get you in too much trouble.

Really your best bang for the buck is a used japanese bike. If you want a standard riding position, look at the ones from the early 80's or late 70's.

If you want a real generic bike that lasts forever, get an old honda nighthawk 750

Comment

Hope you are a bank, Awesome bikes but very Italian aka they like their maintance.

Comment

get a monster.

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
          RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

Are you stuck on getting a V-twin? I've been on a couple Ducs seemed heavy, but it is a track bike and it felt heavy because it has a higher center of gravity. It also didn't seem as crazy fast compared to a 4 cylinder but it was probably the way I was giving it power, I've also heard you have to use the power differently on the vtwins. I would get a jap bike my brother just sold his 600RR he said it was the best handling and braking bike he had been on. They last forever when I sold my 04 ZX10R it had almost 25,000 miles, and all I replace was my clutch and spark plugs.

Comment

Or get on one these a Supermoto. Very fast will sit side by side with a 600 up till about 80, will top out around 110. And you can jump shit and pop up curbs. Valvue adjustments take about 20mins.
              Attached Files

Comment

^^^^ is it powered by redbull?

Comment

Just a cool catch can.

Comment

Originally posted by uofom3 View Post
                    So anyone have any experience with Ducati? I'm not in a rush to get this done, I'm just interested to see what's out there and get some personal experience/testimonials.
                    I have never been on one but I have seen the Matrix Reloaded 5 or 6 times. What do you want to know?

Comment

you don't want something expensive for your first bike. you will go down, and likely drop it.

if you want a duc, get a monster. 920, the 6's are slow from what I've heard.

only prob with them is scrapin pipe, but you prob won't have to worry about that for a while
                      Originally posted by blunt
                      can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

Comment

Supermoto bikes are the shit, if I ever got a bike that is the one I would look at
                        Originally posted by NavyE30
                        I saw Vlad was posting and got excited. Then I saw there weren't any boobs and was sad.

Comment

Supermotos are badass, That KTM has a better horse power to wieght ratio than any 600cc. That one is my brothers and every time you ride it the thing just wants to wheelie. The looks you get ridding it are priceless, it is so loud.

Comment

thanks for the responses guys...

I'm just looking to ride because its' new... some recent life changes have allowed me to think about things like a bike that i've always been into but never pursued. I went into the class green as shit... and was dragging pegs on a D/s after 2 days - it's SO much fun!

I'm not worried about dropping it because my buddy, and then I later minutes dropped his harley in the same day so I'm going to sacrifice the body before the bike. I'm $ at speeds over 5 mph... its just the super slow stuff that almost screwed me during my test. Regardless... I'd rather just spend the money and learn to dride it than not learn about it and buy some D/s that i'm going to replace in 5 months anyway.

I'm also not super worried about the $ as I'm used to maintaining at highly tuned s14. A ducati is a drop in the bucket compared to that... I mean shit - the bike is worth half what I spent on my motor. I'm not super worried about that (not to be all big baller about it, but realistically it's going to seem cheap). I'd considder some other options, but lots of the guys who rock the jap stuff seem like Dbags and I really don't want to be lumped into that.

Thanks to every who responded!

cheers,
                            ted
                            PNW Crew
                            90 m3
                            06 m5

Comment

Don't get anything more than a 600 to start off on, and NOT a ducati, they are race tuned bikes and way out of your league, no offense.

I'd start out on a suzuki 600RS or a kawa 500 or 650R.

Once you get a few thousand seat miles upgrade to a CBR600RR or a GXS-R600 or 750
                              Who doesn't love a little BBQ?
                              Griot's Garage at a Deep Discount

Comment

Working...
                              X