wireless router range improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wireless router range improvement

I have a netgear wireless router... its range is not too bad, but with the leaves on the trees I cannot get consistant signal at my lake pavillion.

Should I just uppy to an N router? I don't think the antenna on mine can be upgraded, as it does not seem to want to twist or pull out.

i need this info also. the servants are complaining about reception coming from the main house
    We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
    www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by blunt View Post
      i need this info also. the servants are complaining about reception coming from the main house

servants getting restless ??? They must be tired of the paper cups and string T100 line

Comment

Build a pringle can antenna. I saw them do this on TechTV a while back and I tried this myself and it worked relatively well. I hooked it up to my laptop and I was able to pick up my router from a mile away.

There are also yagi antennas that you can get for a few hundred bucks that get you a good 5-6 mile range.

Comment

Funny you ask, I love my neighbor's connection here at the lake

Comment

ok, honestly, my aunt is my neighbor, and I pickup her signal in some parts of my house. her router is over 120 feet from my right now, and it is working well for the moment.

I think the N will do the trick, or maybe a repeater that is closer to the end of her house.

Comment

I'm curious about this, too. I have a brand new D-Link G, and I only get between 2 and 4 bars when I'm out in my living room, the router is here in my office. It's maybe 100 ft. to my living room, through open doors and a relatively straight hallway. My house isn't very big, so I was kind of disappointed that I'm not getting better signal in the living room. Would a range extender or a wireless access point maybe be better than buying another brand new router?

Comment

I've heard of things that have been done on TV or whatever that increase signal by twice as much just by using the 70's aluminum foil method or something. Basically you print out a template online and then use aluminum foil on the template for the design. Pretty bizarre.

PS. Josh i demand more pics from the day in your sig.
                Estoril E36 M3/4/5 | Toledo E53 X5 3.0 | LeMans E90 335D M-Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson View Post
                  I'm curious about this, too. I have a brand new D-Link G, and I only get between 2 and 4 bars when I'm out in my living room, the router is here in my office. It's maybe 100 ft. to my living room, through open doors and a relatively straight hallway. My house isn't very big, so I was kind of disappointed that I'm not getting better signal in the living room. Would a range extender or a wireless access point maybe be better than buying another brand new router?

I have a linksys g router and was not getting good range with it so I bought their range extender that was $100 and it did not extend my range at all. Total waste of money and thankfully office depot took it back and gave me a full refund....

Comment

Originally posted by ToplessE30 View Post
                    PS. Josh i demand more pics from the day in your sig.
                    Working on getting the good ones up. There's a full-size version of the shot in my sig in that "favorite pic of your car thread" in member's rides.

Comment

Originally posted by atomic View Post
                      I have a linksys g router and was not getting good range with it so I bought their range extender that was $100 and it did not extend my range at all. Total waste of money and thankfully office depot took it back and gave me a full refund....
                      Was it an upgrade antenna, or some sort of seperately opperating repeater?

Comment

seperate operating repeater. it had software that you install and all but still was a total bust. here is a link to it http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=7813839789B11

I have thought about changing to this one in the near future to try to correct my problem http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=6154239789B01

Comment

The only thing with the N is I am not certian the a/b will have the enhanced range.

Comment

Working...
                          X