Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just got back from the Virginia Tech Concert....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got back from the Virginia Tech Concert....

....and it was great! John Mayer is by far one of the premiere Blues guitarists of this generation. in my opinion, he rivals Eric Clapton at the height of his blues career. And Nas, phil Vassar, and of course Dave Matthews were all incredible as well.

eric clapton kicks the shit out of john mayer.

Celebrity Deathmatch!
    '89 325i track sloot
    '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

Incredible show,John Mayer is a great musician. However there is not a snowball's chance in hell that he is a quarter as good a guitarist as Eric Clapton. And you said that as if Clapton has somehow peaked as a blues musician.... Not even close. Just my .02.....
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by whiltebeitel View Post
        eric clapton kicks the shit out of john mayer.

Comment

im telling you, this kid has got some outrageous talent. Im a blues guitarist and i love Eric Clapton, but i really think Mayer has got some of the integral components that Clapton doesnt have.

Comment

Clapton is just Clapton. It's not fair to compair Mayer yet, that's like comparing Hendrix to any good newer guitarist - like the guys in Rage Against The Machine, at least by me.

Overall, how was the show? Are the kids & faculty moving on pretty well? Is this/was the anniversary of the day?

It's not how you handle the good times, but the faith you keep in the bad that defines you.

Comment

Agreed. Clapton is by far one of the greatest blues guitarist ever. But i think you definitely hit the nail on the head with the word "yet". I can agree that he hasn't been around long enough to have a huge presence like Clapton, but i believe that all the potential is there to surpass him.
              The show was incredible though. Dave played an amazing set, Mayer kicked ass, even Nas and Phil Vassar were really good. I was really pleased with Nas. He is a hell of a performer in that he really gets into his music. and everyone seems to be doing better at Tech. most people are moving on pretty well. But the college newspaper keeps printing stuff about it that is kind of unsavory. And the anniversary is 4-16-07

Comment

Nas & Phil Vasser.

What the hell did *that* crowd look like?

-Charlie
                Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
                '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
                FYYFF

Comment

I still can not believe they allowed NAS to perform there. After all most of his lyrics in what he calls music or better known as "crap" is about murder and street violence.... Total BS IMHO that they allowed him to play there and totally disrespected the families who have suffered such a great loss.

Comment

Originally posted by atomic View Post
                    I still can not believe they allowed NAS to perform there. After all most of his lyrics in what he calls music or better known as "crap" is about murder and street violence.... Total BS IMHO that they allowed him to play there and totally disrespected the families who have suffered such a great loss.
                    You must not know his music very well..

Comment

Actually I don't know it that well but the media has had a crusade against him for this concert because of his music. Down to the point where the media outlets have played his music with lyric posting of what he is rapping....

Comment

Nas actually showed, eh? More than he can say for Rock the Bells...
                        Originally posted by Gruelius
                        and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Mayer played a good set, a lot bluesier than i had imagined not being particularly familiar with his music. But he's still a long way from Clapton. Have you listened to the "Beano" album? It's John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton for the uninformed. So named b/c Clapton is reading a "Beano" comic on the album art. The sustained note in Double Crossin' Time gives me wood every time I hear it. No other guitarist gives me that same feeling with the exception of Buddy Guy and SRV. I would say Joe Bonamassa is a closer match than Mayer as far as younger generation guitarists and their blues skillset. Check him out.

Nas was outstanding, I had never heard the first one of his songs and actually was quite impressed. I was listening for objectionable lyrics and heard none. They were actually rather inspirational and uplifting as they talked about overcoming adversity and tragic loss (I understand Nas had a DJ (i think) friend of his murdered so he knows the kind of loss the kids are going through. Not my cup of tea, but i give two thumbs up. And he had a dig at that hippocrit Bill O'reilly.

Comment

Originally posted by atomic View Post
                            Actually I don't know it that well but the media has had a crusade against him for this concert because of his music. Down to the point where the media outlets have played his music with lyric posting of what he is rapping....
                            most of his songs do not advocate violence at all, he merely raps about the hardships that come with growing up in the ghetto.

please inform yourself and make an EDUCATED assessment on the situation rather than take the media's point of view and spit it out again. the media is crooked anyway. nas is one of my favorite rappers by FAR...fuck 50cent being the 'new' tupac, nas gets my vote.
                            BRUTE

Comment

Stevie Ray Vaughan > Eric Clapton

Clapton is highly overrated. He's awesome, but certainly gets more credit than he deserves...

I enjoy John Mayer as well.
                              sigpic
                              "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                              X