Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So would minor scuffing on the inside of a wheel cause any real issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So would minor scuffing on the inside of a wheel cause any real issue?

After seeing this thread:

I was thinking I'd take one of those tool engravers and put something like the last 4 of my SSN on the backside of the spoke of my wheels - it's not much, but if they ever turned up it would be pretty tough to beat a stolen property rap if the wheels on some fag's ride had some custom etching that was part of my identity. At the least I'd get my stuff back.

Anyone think there might be a better place to do this?

I figured I'd do it on the back of a spoke & fill the dots with either silver, black, or clearcoat. I can't see how this could mess up the wheel even slightly, but if the great minds of R3V can come up with a better place I'm listening.

It's not how you handle the good times, but the faith you keep in the bad that defines you.

if the thief or someone he sold them to saw the numbers, they could very easily be removed.
    --Will

Comment

Originally posted by CarsSuck View Post
      if the thief or someone he sold them to saw the numbers, they could very easily be removed.
      At that point he's adding to the marking area, and if you take pics of your work (I keep a ton of pics on a memory stick in my fire-resistant safe) - then it would be a no-brainer what happened.

Besides, what I'm talking about would be no larger than the type you are reading, and really in a crevace or something like that on the backside of a wheel. I'm thinking it would be small enough that only the most decerning eye or someone in the know would be able to find it.

Think about how most people don't know what all the markings & numbers mean on the back of a wheel anyhow, a single area with a few more numbers would slide by pretty easy.

It's not how you handle the good times, but the faith you keep in the bad that defines you.

Comment

Put a sticker inside the rim before a tire gets mounted. If it takes longer than the time the tires on the rim get worn out by the thief the rim would be long gone anyway. But If they went to get new tires, the tire place may give you a call.

Comment

spray paint them pink
          "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
            Put a sticker inside the rim before a tire gets mounted. If it takes longer than the time the tires on the rim get worn out by the thief the rim would be long gone anyway. But If they went to get new tires, the tire place may give you a call.

I thought about that, but the whole dismounting of the tire thing might be a no-fly zone with local law. That actually was my first area I was thinking of, but like I said it just started sounding less appealing the more thought I gave it.

Comment

I would think it you engraved it with some stencils (where it looked like a factory wheel marking of some kind) instead of free hand, and put it in the area of where the wheel manufacture stamped markings on the wheel. The the dumbass thief would probably never know the difference between the two readings. Dimounting the tire would probably be a no fly zone for the police if you were trying to reclaim said wheels.

Also if they are your car you can always run wheels locks and if they are stacked in the barn then put a thick cable lock through and around all wheels and something else that is either much bigger or part of a fixed area of the structure. Although this will only slow down a thief but will stop the quick snatch and grab

Comment

Someone stole one of my wheels last week. Totally random, and my roommate left CF hoods and crap out, and never touched. I've just got poor luck. If you do decide to do this, I may copy your idea.
                '89 325i track sloot
                '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

Either the inside spoke or the inside rim would be perfect. Also, (as you probably already figured) do not use the dashes between the numbers so that nobody can figure out that it is a SS number. When I was a Maryland resident I used to engrave my 12-digit driver's license number without the dashes on my stuff because I figure that it would be a bit more obscure.

Comment

Working...
                  X