question about taxes within the USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question about taxes within the USA

today in school there were some questions about taxes in the USA.

The different states have different taxes correct?

Does something happen when i live in California and buy something in Nevada? Do you have customs within the USA?

So do i have to pay the tax of California (thats where i live for example) when i buy something in Nevada?

Perhaps someone can help me :)

thx
    *** For sale: euro stuff, BBS steering wheels, smoked tail lights, bunch of rare wheels (5x120 and 4x100) ***

[/color]

Each state has its own tax. Some states such as Fl, Tx, and I think RI do not pay state tax but have sales tax. Every county with in a state has sales tax. If you were to buy items online from state to state that does not have to be titled, then no there is no sales tax. If you buy a title item, then you pay the tax in your county,state when you title the item.

Its a lot of tax if you ask me!

PS no customs within the US, even though we are split up, we are all considered one in this case!
    Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs!

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Sales tax is 8.25% in houston. Sucks.
      "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

Originally posted by psloan View Post
        Sales tax is 8.25% in houston. Sucks.
        yeah but no state tax correct???
        we pay 7% and have state tax to boot
        We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
        www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by blunt View Post
          yeah but no state tax correct???
          we pay 7% and have state tax to boot
          No state income tax - correct.
          "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

Shouldn't complain as Germany has a 16% Value Added Tax. Plus income tax.

Some states are now taxing web sales even thou they are supposed to be free until 2009?

Comment

Originally posted by SchnellerVert View Post
              Shouldn't complain as Germany has a 16% Value Added Tax. Plus income tax.

Some states are now taxing web sales even thou they are supposed to be free until 2009?
              Jesus, F that Mehrwertsteuer - they raised it to 19% when I was there.

Back to the US: I have to pay sales tax on items that I buy online if the online retailer has a distribution center in my state. For example, I live in NJ, and Newegg.com has a headquarters or some sort of office that they ship packages out of which is also located in NJ. I have to pay sales tax when I get items shipped to my house in NJ. If I am ordering lots of items I have them shipped to a friend in PA and don't pay tax.

Dell.com charges tax to every state to cover their ass, I think.

Comment

ahhh ok thank you. i understand now.

so if i buy something online in another state i have to pay the tax of my state if the company has an office in this state, correct?

but if i drive to a neighbour state (for example) and i go shopping then i have to pay only the tax of this state where i bought the goods, right? if i get back to my state where i live i don't have to pay the difference? so there are no borders with customs right?

P.S.: yes we got 19% tax in Germany *grrrr*
                *** For sale: euro stuff, BBS steering wheels, smoked tail lights, bunch of rare wheels (5x120 and 4x100) ***

[/color]

Comment

Yeah, whatever state you are buying goods in there are going to assume you live there and charge you tax. No border crossings or inspections between states, other then a big "WELCOME TO _______" sign thats the only indication you will have that you entered a new state.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                  https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
                    Yeah, whatever state you are buying goods in there are going to assume you live there and charge you tax. No border crossings or inspections between states, other then a big "WELCOME TO _______" sign thats the only indication you will have that you entered a new state.
                    On I-8 border patrol agents stop you and ask if you are a US citizen. :D
                    Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Here in Tennessee we have 9.25% sales tax but no state income tax

Comment

Originally posted by AC Nico View Post
                        but if i drive to a neighbour state (for example) and i go shopping then i have to pay only the tax of this state where i bought the goods, right? if i get back to my state where i live i don't have to pay the difference? so there are no borders with customs right?
                        Yes that's right. I live in New Jersey and many friends and family members of mine will drive to Delaware to buy expensive items (such as computers) because Delaware has no sales tax. Thus, my friends save the 7% that they would have to pay if the purchased the item in NJ. 7% of $2000 = $140, 7% of $5000 = $350 - eventually there reaches a point where the cost of the gas to drive to Delaware is less than the potential NJ sales tax.

Comment

Same here. Many women I know that spend outrageous amounts of money on clothing will make trips to portland to avoid paying sales tax.

Comment

To make it even more complicated, WA state tax varies from county to county. I don't know if it's only certain items or how it works, but if you buy a new car in King county you pay more in sales tax than you would in Whatcom county - or so you hear on the car ads on the radio/tv.

No state income tax in WA either.

It's not how you handle the good times, but the faith you keep in the bad that defines you.

Comment

We don't have any sales tax in Oregon. Not sure what are income tax is though.

Comment

Working...
                              X