Rotator cuff woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotator cuff woes

Anyone here ever had rotator cuff surgery? Im going in for an MRI tomorrow because the doctor thinks that i may have torn my rotator cuff working out a few weeks ago...

How long is this recovery going to take assuming i need surgery? How soon before i can get back in the gym? ive googled it...but i was hoping for some personal accounts. Thanks guys!

ive had no experience other than my father went thru this shit. you have youth on your side. once you get to be my age and older shit takes a lot longer. i imagine youll be back at it in a couple months but im no doctor
    We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
    www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by blunt View Post
      ive had no experience other than my father went thru this shit. you have youth on your side. once you get to be my age and older shit takes a lot longer. i imagine youll be back at it in a couple months but im no doctor

I have a friend who's left arm falls out of socket if you throw him a basketball over his head. He has had 6 surgeries. Im no Dr. either, but I can say, take your time healing, months now is nothing in comparison to years later. Time and time again I told him not to go do the types of stuff he was doing 3 weeks after the surgery. Just let it rest til its better than before the injury.

Comment

Joint replacement is about the only thing that makes joint problems go away permanently.

Hopefully you don't have to get surgery or that it would be minimal at best. Sometimes the scar tissue from the surgery ends up making the problem worse than the original surgery and then they have to go back and clean it all out.

Comment

I haven't had surgery, but I've got my share of shoulder issues. Since I played rugby in high school (3 years ago) I've had a bad shoulder. It came and went, so I never thought anything of it. But when I built a paver porch for my mom, I tapped every single paver in with a rubber mallet. The next day I seriously couldn't move my arm above my head.

Turns out I have a small rotator cuff tear, and a sprained AC joint. I think that's where your collar bone meets with another one.

Long story short, I should have had surgery this summer so I could play this fall. Now I'll probably have to wait until next summer.

Comment

rarrr i need surgery on my ankle. rotator cuff is ~9mos recovery judging from how long it has taken my buddies in college baseball to rehab their arms.

Comment

I'm a young guy who is pretty active I started having joint problems. I went to Costco bought joint lubrication/supplement and seriously two weeks later nothing wrong. It was the best $15 bucks I spent when it came to being mobile and taking care of my body.
              1985 BMW 325e
              1997 BMW M3/4/5
              2007 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 v8

Comment

Originally posted by ptownTSI View Post
                rarrr i need surgery on my ankle. rotator cuff is ~9mos recovery judging from how long it has taken my buddies in college baseball to rehab their arms.
                Much of the time, if the surgery is nto major, then it will be done with a scope. The recovery time will be weeks, not months.

Comment

Rotator cuff

I had shoulder problems - non rotator luckily - for years before getting it fixed (combination of non-surgical treatments) - good luck. Make sure to get a second opinion before surgery.

I snapped my femur and had knee surgery about 17 months ago - here is what I learned:
                  1. Helicopter rides are $12000.
                  2. Ask your doctor for a complete rehab schedule before your surgery - think 3-6 months.
                  3. All kinds of people get addicted to prescription painkillers all the time - ask Rush Limbaugh. I gave them up as soon as I could.
                  4. Do the rehab. Make your Physical Therapist (PT) take measurements at least every two weeks so that you can see the progress and stay motivated. I went to rehab, twice a week, for six months.
                  5. If the person who cuts your hair doesn't do a good job, you'll find somebody new to do it. Don't be afraid to change your PT.
                  6. Rehab works. If you are in your 20's it really works. My leg is 95% healed and should be 100% by the end of the year (and I'm old - mid 30's).
                  7. If they proscribe something to help you sleep - AMBIEN - don't be surprised if your parents, aunts/uncles or anyone over 50 asks if you could spare a few.

Again - good luck.

Comment

Yeah this shoulder got screwed up in 8th grade playing football and hasnt been the same since. But it hasnt really been giving me serious problems until i got into lifting hard over the last 3 years and snowboarding hasn't helped much either i suppose. But I am really hoping that they just stick me with some cortisone and send me to physical therapy. But thanks for all of your input guys. Lets just hope that the MRI comes out ok!

Comment

ive actually had my entire shoulder reconstucted twice (snowboarding behind aquad in 2" of snow is a bad idea) and the first time i was back riding bmw and fucked it up after only 3months recovery and had to get it done again. secound time i waited a year and i half to really start using it again and it has been fine. time is the only sure qay to heal it. dont try to short cut that because you will regret it later.

Comment

While they are in there , opt for the monoball upgrade .

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Originally posted by Teaguer View Post
                          While they are in there , opt for the monoball upgrade .
                          I had them install derlin rotator cuff bushing, really reduced the slop in my backhand. Took about 6months for mine to be back to almost normal.

Comment

Working...
                          X