Verizon Question, Legal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Verizon Question, Legal?

My friend has a VX9800 that the screen is smashed but he insurance. If he goes through insurance and pays the 75$ to get a brand new phone can he then get a new phone through an upgrade and give the VX9800 to me? Or would this be illllegal?
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

It seems to me, that if he's currently eligible for an upgrade they will try to push him into just doing that but if he sticks to his guns he can probably use the insurance instead. Then have him give it a week or so and go in and just say he's decided to upgrade after all and go through with that process. The old (new) phone will still be his to keep and there's no reason you can't take it to use on your plan. it will most likely be a factory refurb though, not entirely new...
    '89 325is S50 Track Montser
    '04 X5 Daily/Tow Vehicle

http://www.avarestoration.com

http://www.myspace.com/brendanfiddle

Click here if you want to be my zombie slave...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Fidhle007

Comment

The imei will be locked.

Lsx/t56 Swap progress |----------| .0000000005% - Well below poverty line.
      Getting purists panties in a knot since 2007. ;)
      E30 count = 6! :shock:

Comment

he pays for the insurance, it would be his phone. get the first one replaced, then go in for the upgrade. they can't say anything about that

Comment

Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
          The imei will be locked.

Even though they are both Verizon?
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

If it's anything similar to ours it will be locked.

They usually lock the imei's so people dont do what you're trying to do :) Also stops people "losing" their phones (giving them away to friends/selling them) then claiming on insurance.

Which is ok if you plan on moving overseas to use your phone, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by GarrettM View Post
              Even though they are both Verizon?
              I think you'll still be fine. They don't lock out the old phone, they have no reason to. I've done this with my current plan (T-Mobile). I got a new phone through the insurance program, and sold my old one to my friend. They literally told me when I signed up for the insurance, you can do whatever you want to the phone, call and tell us what you did, and you'll still get a new one.

Comment

you'll end up hating that phone when all of the buttons wear out and the vibrate stops working every few weeks. I know I hate mine :D

Comment

Sim Cards FTW
                  NEED SOME VINYL STICKERS???

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave
                    What exactly is wrong about what he is doing? He is paying the insurance every month, pays the deductible, decides to buy a new phone. How can they lock that out?
                    As i said, it might be different there.

Although when we need to claim a phone, they take it to assess it and dont give it back. For phones that are lost or stolen and then claimed, they lock the imei afaik.

Comment

Originally posted by BDSax View Post
                      www.howardforums.com

Sim Cards FTW
                      Indeed, Verizon is too cool for Sim Cards.

Comment

Working...
                      X