The R3V Bicycle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FJ40 View Post

my shitbox but seemingly fun as hell 'windsor the hour'. picked it up last weekend not even fully built yet from someone who decided they didn't want fixed for their commute, for half of the already cheap $300.

just took it fully apart and painted/rebuilt it. there were a few problems with it, but i was able to fix everything easily enough. still planning on some stencils/details to finish it off. should be a fun bike!
    One of my friends rides this bike. He basically bought it for the frame and just upgraded the fork and handle bar situation. Its an awesome riding bike actually.

Comment

Three of my friends have HAD "The hour" and they all bought them brand new for cheaper than you paid. From this site:

Good beginner bike, definitely.

*Edit, my mistake i read your post wrong FJ. 150 is a great price!
      1989 Bronzit 325ia- Sold
      1986 Diamondschwarz Grey Market 325i Sport Mtech 1- Parted out
      1988 Delphin 327i- Sold
      1995 Cosmos M3- Current

Comment

yeah i'm actually really enjoying it, i've got a bmx->mtb->dh background, but have never had a road-esque bike. i figured fixed would be a fun way to get a feel for it, plus make a good knock around play-bike

Comment

what is the deal with fixed-gear bikes? I have a good buddy who works at a bike shop and is pretty into cycling in general and says he does TONS of fixy conversions. He also says he doesn't understand what these people are trying to prove.

For some reason, people with fixed gear bikes like to ride in the flow of traffic in eugene with a dedicated bike lane 3 feet from them. I tail gate them and tell them in my SUV and do whatever I can to make them feel uncomfortable. I love to ride and it's people like that who fuck it up for cyclists IMO.
          PNW Crew
          90 m3
          06 m5

Comment

Its just like skateboarding once was. Eventually society embraced it.
            I personally like looking at them. So simple, clean, back to the basics feel.

I'd hardly say the "fixy" riders in Eugene, Oregon is a good rep of what the rest of the country has to offer as far as the track bike riders in general and the riding ettiquete they display on the street.

Comment

Originally posted by scabzzzz View Post
              Its just like skateboarding once was. Eventually society embraced it.
              I personally like looking at them. So simple, clean, back to the basics feel.

I'd hardly say the "fixy" riders in Eugene, Oregon is a good rep of what the rest of the country has to offer as far as the track bike riders in general and the riding ettiquete they display on the street.
              i think they look cool too... I'm just noting the attitude of the people who I see ride them.
              PNW Crew
              90 m3
              06 m5

Comment

i believe that, i think a lot of it is that many riders of 'fixies' tend to not so much be bikers as they are hipsters. i doubt that most of the assholes you see have a garage full of other bikes at home.

from what i hear from my friends back home in OR, eugene is pretty full of those people, with their PBR 12ers cut up and stuck in their spokes, and their front aerospokes. back here in the midwest...not so much.

another annoying thing is that a lot of them are environmentalist fucks who think cars are out to get them, prompting them to be asses to normal traffic.

ANYWAY, despite that stuff, i'm enjoying my first fixie.

Comment

I ride in bike lanes when available, but off the top of my head, i can only think of three streets in philly right now with dedicated bike lanes. I zip all in and along through traffic all day, motorists know bicycles almost outnumber them here so there isn't anything they can do. a

and as far as fixed gears are concerned.... i drive a stripped down 22 year old car with absolutely no technology, options, or safety features. Why wouldnt i have it any other way when i ride my bike? I hate gadgety shit. technology, for the most part, pisses me off. One of the reasons i cant stand playing video games.

UFO, when you drive your M3 compared to your X5.... it's so much more exciting because it's you driving the car, as compared to the X... where multiple loads of computers help you drive the car. It's the same thing with a fixed. you feel the road so much more, its you controlling the bike AT ALL TIMES. and i get so much enjoyment out of that.
                  1989 Bronzit 325ia- Sold
                  1988 Delphin 327i- Sold
                  1995 Cosmos M3- Current

Comment

i believe that, i think a lot of it is that many riders of 'fixies' tend to not so much be bikers as they are hipsters. i doubt that most of the assholes you see have a garage full of other bikes at home.

from what i hear from my friends back home in OR, eugene is pretty full of those people, with their PBR 12ers cut up and stuck in their spokes, and their front aerospokes. back here in the midwest...not so much.

another annoying thing is that a lot of them are environmentalist fucks who think cars are out to get them, prompting them to be asses to normal traffic.

ANYWAY, despite that stuff, i'm enjoying my first fixie.
                    Some people consider me a hipster, some people don't. I like to think I just have my own unique style when it comes to clothes. However, I used to work at a bike shop, I have 5 other bikes at home in New Jersey including a completely custom fabbed lowrider/ratrod bike. Here in my apt in philly I have my green and black 1971 viscount fixed and my 1997 standard STA "bmx" bike (although i'd hardly call it that anymore)
                    1989 Bronzit 325ia- Sold
                    1988 Delphin 327i- Sold
                    1995 Cosmos M3- Current

Comment

I actually feel it's the bike couriers out to get the cars. Last week, I rolled up to my building for class at 7:40am. I was at the corner of 23rd and market street, a very busy intersection a block away from the bustling 30th st, train station. I'm standing there locking my bike up, when i see a black Kia Spectra sitting at the red light in front of me. This courier on some decked out aerospoked out fixie comes to a skid right next to him and punches the side view mirror right off the car. It's shit like that that gives cyclers a bad name. Couriers are DICKS.
                      1989 Bronzit 325ia- Sold
                      1988 Delphin 327i- Sold
                      1995 Cosmos M3- Current

Comment

i'm not trying to single you out in the least, and i fully understand riding on the street etc., i do too. same with the hipster thing, i mean i'm the biggest mishmash of shit it's funny, but who cares.

you're right about the courier thing, some people when they're on bikes think that everyone should bow down to them. i don't even know what i'd do if some fucker knocked a mirror off my car, i wonder how he'd have liked to have his wheels trashed.

basically, i ride my bikes cause it's fun, and i do my best to tread pretty lightly when doing so. i'm sure you do the same.

Comment

basically, i ride my bikes cause it's fun, and i do my best to tread pretty lightly when doing so. i'm sure you do the same.
                          Exactly. I'd love to go to San Fran, i heard the scene is RIDICULOUS out there. check out youtube... just search Fixed Gear Tricks, and sooo much ridiculous shit comes up. these guys are nuts!

*edit, this is city hall.... a literally 3 minute ride from my apartment. check it!

Just another Slow Sunday in Philadelphia. Tom and Tony from bootleg sessions upping the ante once again. Filmed by Andy at Pedestrian Boutique in Philly. ...
                          1989 Bronzit 325ia- Sold
                          1988 Delphin 327i- Sold
                          1995 Cosmos M3- Current

Comment

Glad I got some support on that comment by UOF. And to be honest, I prefer my road bike more than my fixed gear. I happen to like the culture that revolves around fixed gear bikes more than anything. The lifestyle, the clothes, the shoes, the people, everything about it. I used to feel the same about skateboarding, and then I grew up and or it got too popular and played out.

Like skateboarding a few years ago, if I was rolling down the street and saw some dude kickflip a couple of stairs, I'd be like "Oh shit that was dope" and probably go talk to that dude.
                            Now, theres like 4 skateparks in Nashville and little Timmy that doesnt know dick about the culture wears Emericas and plays Tony Hawk and SKATE.

I think fixed gear bikes will be the same in 5 years even though its been around forever.

Comment

Originally posted by T3rd Ferguson View Post

*edit, this is city hall.... a literally 3 minute ride from my apartment. check it!
                              Cool video, It's great to see progression.
                              sigpic

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                                Last edited by Maluco; 03-20-2008, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X