No announcement yet.

The R3V Bicycle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Martyn Ashton takes the £10k carbon road bike used by Team Sky's Bradley Wiggins & Mark Cavendish for a ride with a difference. With a plan to push the limit...

http://www.westwerksauto.com

Comment

Does anyone know of a good place to get vintage Schwinn decals? I wanna repaint or powder coat my bike but I also want to keep the decals...

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
      Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
        Does anyone know of a good place to get vintage Schwinn decals? I wanna repaint or powder coat my bike but I also want to keep the decals...

Try www.retrobike.co.uk

I'm sure someone on there can help you.
        -03/2005 E46 330D Touring 6spd(204hp/410nM) Sapphire Black/Naturbraun Sport...300k KM & 35mpg(mixed)

Comment

Originally posted by e30evolution View Post
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZmJtYaUTa0
          WOW! So worth the click! Thanks for sharing!
          -Erik
          '16 Focus 2.0L - '99 Protegé DX 1.6L POS (Sold) - '87 4runner 22R-E (Sold) - '86 Schwarz S50 (Sold) - '02 WRX Wagon (sold) - '07 Impreza 2.5i (sold) - '91 Alpine M52 (Sold) - '89 Alpine 325is (Sold)

Originally posted by 87e30
          I just want to dance with some beezies

Comment

Latest build was super expensive but its a blast to ride

Fuji Track Frame
            Pake Track Fork
            Pake Crank
            Sugino Messenger Ring
            Selle San Marco Ponza TT
            Deep V's (Red Kendas are temporary, switching to black as soon as I kill em)
            VP Comp Headset
            Sugino BB
            Easton Road Drops
            Easton Stem
            Easton Seat Post
            Odyssey Twisted Pedals with Retrogression Straps (not pictured)

I think that's it haha

and here is the shittiest angle of a bike ever taken by a camera
            Last edited by JFarhanbod; 10-11-2012, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeDE View Post
              Try www.retrobike.co.uk

I'm sure someone on there can help you.
              Thanks! I'll check it out for sure.

Another question...

After swapping to the 700c wheels from the 27x1/4" ones, my pedals feel significantly closer to the ground. My crank arm length at the moment is 170mm. Is this just something I'm going to have to deal with seeing as my brief internet search for a new crankset revealed that the majority of 44-46t cranksets are ≥170mm?

Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                Another question...

After swapping to the 700c wheels from the 27x1/4" ones, my pedals feel significantly closer to the ground. My crank arm length at the moment is 170mm. Is this just something I'm going to have to deal with seeing as my brief internet search for a new crankset revealed that the majority of 44-46t cranksets are ≥170mm?
                You should probably just deal with it. The ISO standard difference between the 27" and the 700c is only 8mm, so in reality you're not THAT much closer to the ground (4mm). In SS & fixie applications a longer crank arm is desirable because so much of your power & leverage comes from the crank-set.
                Originally posted by Dozyproductions
                You know why you're drinking that Pabst? No its probably not because it was the first beer you grabbed. It's because you're a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by quikveedb2 View Post
                  You should probably just deal with it. The ISO standard difference between the and the 700c is only , so in reality you're not THAT much closer to the ground (4mm). In SS & fixie applications a longer crank arm is desirable because so much of your power & leverage comes from the crank-set.
                  Well, that 4mm plus whatever the difference is between the sidewall height of the 27x1/4 tires and 700x23c tires. I just know that pedals scrape on bumps that they didn't use to...oh well.

Comment

Look into trading your crank arms for some 165's. If you're fixed and you take a turn and your pedals scrape, your gonna eat shit

Comment

What volume tires are you running on the 700c's? How different are they in volume from the tires on your previous 27" wheel setup? I should have specified, the change should be negligible UNLESS you went from like a 27x1-3/8 to a 700c-23, in which case you're talking about a couple centimeters difference. A 27x1-1/8 has the same roll-out (diameter) as a 700x32, for example. I really don't think a shorter crankest is the answer, unless you're pretty short & on a small frame.

Here's some info on roll-outs for reference, check out the second chart;

http://sheldonbrown.com/cyclecomputer-calibration.html
                      You know why you're drinking that Pabst? No its probably not because it was the first beer you grabbed. It's because you're a winner.

Comment

Do I have this right?

So the difference in height between the two is 4mm like you said earlier? Seems like it is much more drastic, but I guess tire companies have discrepancies within their tire sizes...

Comment

That is what I was referring in regards to the difference in ISO between 27" & 700c, but look at Group F, ISO is different than rollout/actual diameter, which is what I'm talking about in regards to your problem with the drop in your BB height. What I'm getting at is that you can run the same overall (rollout) diameter on a 700c as a 27" wheel, depending on tire size, and maintain the same BB height and pedal clearance without changing your crank set and losing leverage. And you are correct, some manufacturers are more accurate on the volume of their tires than others.

Comment

Ahhhh I see...

So my difference is actually:

Diameter

700x23 - 667mm

27x1/4 - 688mm

Height Difference = 21mm = 2.1cm

That is definitely much more drastic...

So to get close to the same overall diameter I would have to run a 700x32/35c...would that even fit/look right?

Comment

32's should fit fine I think, give a more supple ride than a narrow tire, look nice & meaty, and get you where you want to be in terms of BB height. I ran as set of Specialized 32 somethingorothers on my Peugeot when I first built it;

Comment

Originally posted by JFarhanbod View Post
                                If you're fixed and you take a turn and your pedals scrape, your gonna eat shit
                                Truth. My experience with old crappy road bike conversions is not good. Look around for a frame that was made for 700c. Also the geometry of a real fixed frame is much better. I have an old peugeot just like that^^^, I never ride because it handles so shitty. Look at the trail on those forks!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X