The R3V Bicycle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by j0oftheworld View Post
    Here's my new (to me) '12 CAAD10.. Backup/Race bike!

That is a nice backup bike. I had a Caad 8 a couple years ago, the frame felt great, but I just didn't like the horizontal top tube. Coming from a mtb background, I got used to riding a very sloping top tube and when I got my first road bike, I found one with a super sloping top tube and it felt great, until I ripped the bottom bracket shell out of it, and its replacement, and the replacement for the replacement. (I'll never ride another Santa Cruz again.:down:) from that point I just went on to design my own frames and find custom builders to weld them.

I have to admire Cannondale for sticking with aluminum for so long. The CAAD 10 is likely one of the best aluminum frames in the world, too bad its made in Taiwan. I was really bummed to hear Cannondale moved all their production overseas.

Will
    '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
    '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
    '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
    '88 BMW M3

Comment

I shot this while sitting at my desk the other day.

Will
      '88 BMW M3

Comment

This is not a mountain bike or road bike as most have been posting but its considered an antique now. I bought it piece by piece and put it together back in the early 90s. Just took this pic the other day to send to my buddy in NY who also had same bike. I've seen these bikes selling for $1k for the frame alone...but I'm keeping mine.

Its a Hawk F-20 with Technique cranks, Crupi square pedals. The rims, fork, neck and bars came from a Powerlite I had.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
        sigpic
        Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

Probably a long shot, but I need a short neck OLMO fork. If anyone knows of one LMK!

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
          DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Selling my 80s Vitus 979. Buy it now set at $450, but I will certainly do a R3v discount. PM me if interested. http://www.ebay.com/itm/181178720973

Current Car: 2011 BMW 135i, M-Sport, 6 speed

Originally posted by lambo
            Sounds like you need a massage.
            Originally posted by kpeng
            Who the hell is Vlad?

Comment

Damn joe I have nearly the same bike! Haha. Not sure what year my vitus was made but its almost the same design.

Comment

Nice! I'm not certain on the year either, but it really is a great bike!

Who the hell is Vlad?

Comment

I've got a blue Vitus 979 as well. Mine had some bonding issues so it hangs on the wall. They were nice and light for 1985 but damn when the Cannondale 2.8 came out nothing came close for riding Crit's.
                  https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

The Aluminum lugged Vitus frames were built by another company called Allen. If you look on the bottom bracket (I think) it should say Allen on it somewhere. I restored one of these from about 1981 when I was in college. It was way too small for me, but I pulled it apart and rebuilt everything. Mine was polished lugs on a silver anodized tube set. I wish I had taken a picture of it before I sold it (to buy a set of first generation Chris King hubs that I still ride.)

The frames are notorious for having bonding issues. The good news is that you can possibly send a frame to someone like Calfee and get it reglued. Heck, I reglued a rare Cook Bros seatpost after the head came off. I still ride the post and it hasn't come loose in more than a decade. I used JB Weld.

Will
                    '88 BMW M3

Comment

Anyone ride a mountain bike to work? I've got a 7 mile commute with some pretty good hills here and there, and I have a Motobecane Fantom29 Sport. I have been doing some 7 mile runs with it and it is not too bad, but the hills are killer and really slow me down. Then again, I'm not in shape and have recently quit smoking, or attempting to, so that may be my issue. Tested it out today riding to work and it took me 55 mins. 3rd day riding.

FREE BITCOINS!! http://qoinpro.com/71690d1639966bfbf223bf16538cec21
                      Originally posted by scabzzzz
                      I stand up, pull my dick out, and asked my gf to give me some noggin... Well, she starts laughing at me and I freaked out and ran off and locked myself in a bedroom.
                      1989 325i - Project/weekend driver
                      2002 325i - DD
                      2005 Suzuki SV650 - Toy

Comment

Put on road tires. It will change your life.

Who the hell is Vlad?

Comment

if you keep at it it'll get easier. would be a good idea to research alternate routes. you'll lose interest fast riding the same path often

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
                          DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Joe G View Post
                            Put on road tires. It will change your life.
                            Hmm...I'll look into that. From what I remember, wheelsets were goddamn expensive, but maybe I can get a used set of 29" wheels and throw some road tires on.
                            Originally posted by E30_Pare View Post
                            if you keep at it it'll get easier. would be a good idea to research alternate routes. you'll lose interest fast riding the same path often
                            True, I've got about three different routes I can take to work so I just need to do them for a couple weeks and learn the fastest ones.

FREE BITCOINS!! http://qoinpro.com/71690d1639966bfbf223bf16538cec21
                            Originally posted by scabzzzz
                            I stand up, pull my dick out, and asked my gf to give me some noggin... Well, she starts laughing at me and I freaked out and ran off and locked myself in a bedroom.
                            1989 325i - Project/weekend driver
                            2002 325i - DD
                            2005 Suzuki SV650 - Toy

Comment

Second the road tire suggestion. Get the skinniest tires you can throw on there. Rolling resistance is HUGE.
                              1991 318i SOLD
                              2003 325i SOLD

Racecars and stuff.

Comment

700c road tires work on 29ers no problem. They start around $20 each

Who the hell is Vlad?

Comment

Working...
                                X