The R3V Bicycle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quikveedb2 View Post

Your guy looks just like Marco Pantani!!!
    Great documentary BTW:

Comment

Originally posted by burkey001 View Post
      Wow, such anger, much angst over past glory.

I like bikes :) I have only been riding 20 years, so excuse me for being new :)

This is my new toy. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
      Awesome bike! Love the purple anodized parts. It bring back old memories of the late 80's early 90's. ;)

It would not surprise me that Will will be faster than you uphill and he will run your ass over going downhill with his 90' era hardtail bike. :)

Not much anger here at all. Just some of us refuse to see or want progress of advancement in biking technology.

Ride on.
      Fast lookin' Slow movin'

Comment

Originally posted by bumster22 View Post
        It's funny how you are challenging someone you have never met.

Just for reference, I started MTB 3 years before you did. I have own many XC and DH MTB and gears through all those years. And I still do own many of them. I still am very much active in biking activities.

Yes, I have gone faster than 50+ on a MTB. And that is back in the 90's when we were racing on old fire road pretty much. Riding a modern downhill bike with 38 or 40 tooth ring, racing down the old Kamikaze course at Mammoth. I WILL run your ass over with your antique 50 tooth ring bike. The suspension and bike design had come a long way from the early days. It truly is for the better.

It's ok not to buy newer stuff and use what you have. Two of my DH bike still got 8 speeds drivertrain. During my DH run, I use 4-5 gears max. Go ride the new Rockshox Pike, it's amazing. It has come a long way from the RS1 days. Suspension and disk brake is a heaven sent creation for MTB. All the newer bike and gears the technology are light years better than it had ever been.

I do get what you are saying about too many choices and standard. It's getting out of hand on new standard for BB, cranks, headset, drivetrain, wheel size, axle size and spacing.

Ride on, regardless if it's newer or old classic bike.
        It sounded like you were challenging me. Simple as that. I have ridden much of the new stuff and I don't like it. I don't like disk brakes, (Every bike I've ridden with them has had annoying brake drag. No its not enough to slow one down, but its irritating none the less. I also grow tired of hearing other people bitch about it on a regular basis.) I don't like full suspension bikes in general. I just don't like the extra weight, or the way they ride.

The Pike might be a great fork for a big hit bike, but its too heavy and why the hell do I want that much travel on a hardtail? Besides, $1K for a heavy fork? Screw that, no fork is worth spending $1K on. 4 inches is too much. I had a 4 inch travel fork, tired it, found it too heavy (screwed up the balance of the bike) and didn't like the way it rode. I took it off and went back to a 3 inch fork.

For the record, I was a sponsored rider at one point. I did product testing for Cook Bros Racing, and Action-Tec. I also have a medal from Collegiate MTB National Championships hanging on my wall. I've turned my share of wrenches over the years. I've broken a huge number of parts both on the dirt and on the road. I ride what I ride because it holds up, its light, and I haven't been able to break it. Am I faster than everyone up or down a hill? Nope. Am I faster than many? Yep. Could I be faster than I am? Absolutely, I wish I had the motivation and time to spend 30 hrs on a bike per week again. I'm lucky if I get 3 hrs of riding in per week these days.

Go out, have fun on your bike. Set it up the way you like, and I'll do the same with my stuff. I'll keep my close ratio big gears, I have yet to find a hill I can't ride as long as I can get traction. I'll use them to my advantage going back down as well. I tried the "modern" setup and found it lacking in every way.

Will
        '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
        '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
        '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
        '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
          It sounded like you were challenging me. Simple as that. I have ridden much of the new stuff and I don't like it. I don't like disk brakes, (Every bike I've ridden with them has had annoying brake drag. No its not enough to slow one down, but its irritating none the less. I also grow tired of hearing other people bitch about it on a regular basis.) I don't like full suspension bikes in general. I just don't like the extra weight, or the way they ride.

The Pike might be a great fork for a big hit bike, but its too heavy and why the hell do I want that much travel on a hardtail? Besides, $1K for a heavy fork? Screw that, no fork is worth spending $1K on. 4 inches is too much. I had a 4 inch travel fork, tired it, found it too heavy (screwed up the balance of the bike) and didn't like the way it rode. I took it off and went back to a 3 inch fork.

For the record, I was a sponsored rider at one point. I did product testing for Cook Bros Racing, and Action-Tec. I also have a medal from Collegiate MTB National Championships hanging on my wall. I've turned my share of wrenches over the years. I've broken a huge number of parts both on the dirt and on the road. I ride what I ride because it holds up, its light, and I haven't been able to break it. Am I faster than everyone up or down a hill? Nope. Am I faster than many? Yep. Could I be faster than I am? Absolutely, I wish I had the motivation and time to spend 30 hrs on a bike per week again. I'm lucky if I get 3 hrs of riding in per week these days.

Go out, have fun on your bike. Set it up the way you like, and I'll do the same with my stuff. I'll keep my close ratio big gears, I have yet to find a hill I can't ride as long as I can get traction. I'll use them to my advantage going back down as well. I tried the "modern" setup and found it lacking in every way.

Will
          Good for you will. ;)

Ride on.
          Fast lookin' Slow movin'

Comment

Here's my townie as it sits right now, Schwinn Homegrown with a bit of XTR here and there and a Fox F-Series with a Fit damper in it. I imagine it doesn't meet Will's standards since it has disk brakes, wide bars, and no 50t chain ring, but it does have an American flag bell, and gets me around in relative style and comfort.

Originally posted by Dozyproductions
            You know why you're drinking that Pabst? No its probably not because it was the first beer you grabbed. It's because you're a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by quikveedb2 View Post
              Here's my townie as it sits right now, Schwinn Homegrown with a bit of XTR here and there and a Fox F-Series with a Fit damper in it. I imagine it doesn't meet Will's standards since it has disk brakes, wide bars, and no 50t chain ring, but it does have an American flag bell, and gets me around in relative style and comfort.

I could do without the disks, but its a great frame. Its a nice bike, just not the way I'd set it up. If it were mine, I'd change a few things around and take it racing. If I'm not mistaken, those frames were built by Yeti. It deserves more than just being a townie.

Will
              '88 BMW M3

Comment

Didnt know R3v had a bike thread! This is awesome.

My ride:
                2014 Trek Madone 3.1 Carbon.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by brutus87 View Post
                  Didnt know R3v had a bike thread! This is awesome.

My ride:
                  2014 Trek Madone 3.1 Carbon.
                  I started on an '11 3.1! Great bikes for the $$$! Yours is a ton better than mine was too.. Mostly frame changes!

Here's mine:

Comment

This is my current BMX bike i got from my brother back in 1998. Mongoose expert 21 inch frame.
                    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

First Colnago at a construction site? I doubt it.

He gets me everywhere, and quickly! So fun.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Colnago construction.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	7169232

Name:	Colnago construction 2.jpg
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	7169233

Comment

Eddy

[ATTACH]88194[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]88195[/ATTACH]
                        Last edited by LateFan; 08-29-2014, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                          [ATTACH]88194[/ATTACH]
                          Winning.
                          Originally posted by Dozyproductions
                          You know why you're drinking that Pabst? No its probably not because it was the first beer you grabbed. It's because you're a winner.

Comment

First Colnago at a construction site? I doubt it.

He gets me everywhere, and quickly! So fun.

[ATTACH]88192[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]88193[/ATTACH]
                            Colnago's of that era had some of the most beautiful paint jobs ever. I used to want one so badly. A Colnago with Campy, the only way to go. Nice bike.

Will
                            '88 BMW M3

Comment

Name:	molteni_x-light.jpg
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	7169284

"In 1960, Colnago first saw fame as Luigi Arienti rode to a gold medal at the Rome Olympics on a Colnago bicycle. From the late 1960s through the 1970s, Colnago was generally regarded as one of the builders of the world's best custom road race frames. Sometime in the 1960s, Colnago began using their current cloverleaf logo. It's worth noting that the earliest influence on Colnago's logo was the shape of the lugs on the top-line Gloria bicycles. Colnago worked for Gloria early in his career, just as the company was winding down."

Funny, mine is an '06 Master X-lite, and it looks just like this vintage Molteni frame…chrome rear stays, his sig on the back of the top tube, and chrome lugs on the head tube.

Comment

[ATTACH]88317[/ATTACH]

"In 1960, Colnago first saw fame as Luigi Arienti rode to a gold medal at the Rome Olympics on a Colnago bicycle. From the late 1960s through the 1970s, Colnago was generally regarded as one of the builders of the world's best custom road race frames. Sometime in the 1960s, Colnago began using their current cloverleaf logo. It's worth noting that the earliest influence on Colnago's logo was the shape of the lugs on the top-line Gloria bicycles. Colnago worked for Gloria early in his career, just as the company was winding down."

Funny, mine is an '06 Master X-lite, and it looks just like this vintage Molteni frame…chrome rear stays, his sig on the back of the top tube, and chrome lugs on the head tube.
                                Great-looking frame!

E46t

Comment

Working...
                                X