The R3V Bicycle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FunfGan View Post
    Nothing special, just an old Fuji Triple Butted frame. Picked it up a few months ago, just making small changes to make it more comfortable and to my liking.
    That bike does not fit you. With the seat that low, it means the frame is too tall, with the stem about to fall out of the steerer tube, it means its too long, and you are looking for a more upright riding position, but you aren't going to get it with that bike. In fact, check to see if you have raised the stem beyond the limit mark, if so drop it back down, or better yet, buy a different stem. If you are looking for a mega upright riding bike, you need a hybrid or sport comfort bike with either flat or riser bars. What you have there is unsafe and will never be comfortable.

Don't get me wrong, Fuji frames are good frames, but judging from the way you have this one set up, its the wrong bike for your needs.

Will
    '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
    '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
    '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
    '88 BMW M3

Comment

Thomas Voeckler's frame

Click image for larger version

Name:	Colnago Voeckler.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	7169411

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
        That bike does not fit you. With the seat that low, it means the frame is too tall, with the stem about to fall out of the steerer tube, it means its too long, and you are looking for a more upright riding position, but you aren't going to get it with that bike. In fact, check to see if you have raised the stem beyond the limit mark, if so drop it back down, or better yet, buy a different stem. If you are looking for a mega upright riding bike, you need a hybrid or sport comfort bike with either flat or riser bars. What you have there is unsafe and will never be comfortable.

Don't get me wrong, Fuji frames are good frames, but judging from the way you have this one set up, its the wrong bike for your needs.

Will
        Whelp, didn't say I didn't see your comment coming.

I am 6' 3", with multiple permanent back issues. This is comfortable for ME.

As for the stem, I'm not really sure what you're referring to as it's a single piece, non adjustable stem as far as I can tell. It was like this when I purchased it from the bike shop and has caused me no issues thus far.
        Last edited by FunfGan; 09-10-2014, 08:48 PM.

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

Originally posted by FunfGan View Post
          Whelp, didn't say I didn't see your comment coming.

I am 6' 3", with multiple permanent back issues. This is comfortable for ME.

As for the stem, I'm not really sure what you're referring to as it's a single piece, non adjustable stem as far as I can tell. It was like this when I purchased it from the bike shop and has caused me no issues thus far.
          The stem is what is known as a quill type because of the part that sticks into the steerer tube of the frame. At the base of the quill, there is a wedge shaped nut that is pulled upwards as the bolt is tightened. If this isn't deep enough in the steerer tube, you run the risk of either, breaking the stem at the quill, wrecking the steerer tube, or having the whole nine yards pull out altogether. None of which are enjoyable.
          You can see the writing at the bottom of quill in this pic, that is the limit line.

If you need the seat that low to bring you more upright, your knees will hate you shortly because you don't get full extension at the bottom of the pedal stroke, and there is too much angle at the top.

Since you are both tall, and have back issues, my advice is to go get fitted to a bike by a good shop that knows what they are doing. You might have to travel to do this as not many shops fit bikes to the rider, and few do it correctly. I say this for both comfort and safety's sake.

Will
          '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
          '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
          '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
          '88 BMW M3

Comment

Appreciate the info on the stem, I'll certainly look into lowering it. It isn't near/ past the limit line, but no harm in testing lower heights.

Go here be happy!

Comment

I didn't think anything of that stem. For all we know, it could be a Nitto Technomic or other tall stem. I agree about the seat, though.

E46t

Comment

Originally posted by leegf View Post
                I didn't think anything of that stem. For all we know, it could be a Nitto Technomic or other tall stem. I agree about the seat, though.

It is a fairly nice Nitto, can't remember the specifics off the top of my head.

I think the issue with the bike is that while I am quite tall, most of my height is in my torso, so I need a slightly shorter but longer bike.

This one does the job fine for now, especially the price, but I think I'll occupy myself by building something a little more tailored to my size over winter.

Go here be happy!

Comment

My son's first cyclocross race. Hasn't got his pedals or shoes yet - just figuring out if he even likes it! Note slight smile at my aggressive cow-belling.

Name:	DSC08904.jpg
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	7169576

Name:	DSC08905.jpg
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	7169577

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                    My son's first cyclocross race. Hasn't got his pedals or shoes yet - just figuring out if he even likes it! Note slight smile at my aggressive cow-belling.

[ATTACH]88866[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]88867[/ATTACH]
                    That's awesome! Its such a great, short kind of racing to get thrown into. I can't wait till my son is old enough for non - kiddie cross.
                    Turbo M50 4 Door Build thread here 4 Sale thread

Comment

I has a Nishiki 12speed that I think I'm gonna sell because I want car parts
                      Originally posted by dvck
                      I'm going to say this nicely; go fuck yourself.

Comment

Eddy….

climb
                        champion stripes
                        adidas
                        steel
                        Campy
                        wool pants
                        badass

Name:	eddy-merckx-world-champion-795x1024.jpg
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	7169672

Comment

^^^ i want that bike. and the jersey.

E46t

Comment

That gearing would snap my legs on that grade! :p

Comment

So proud of my kid! He finished again this week, and he just learned how to use clipless pedals on Saturday. He was passing this guy on a brutal hill.

Name:	DSC08946.jpg
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	7169689

Name:	DSC08944.jpg
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	7169690

Comment

Originally posted by j0oftheworld View Post
                                That gearing would snap my legs on that grade! :p
                                I think it would snap my lungs, too!

Comment

Working...
                                X