No announcement yet.

The R3V Bicycle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No worries. They are pretty hard to find, as they were not mass-produced like the ones that are sold now (mine is Italian-made, probably by hand, while the ones today are made in Taiwan). Every once in awhile one will become available, though, and as luck would have it, right now is one of those times:

E46t

Comment

Your Pista has inspired me to build a fixie for this summer.. lol.

Not sure what frame i'm basing it off yet. I need another bike anyways. Last bike I had was a single gear MTB setup. Fun bike to haul ass around the trails on.
      -1976 2002 daily (Sold)
      -1986 528e 5 speed daily

Comment

As a starter fixed or track bike, I (and that community in general) really like Wabi Cycles:

High-quality single speed / fixed gear bikes customized to your needs while still being affordable. Choose color, handlebar, saddle, gearing options and more. Plus, find rock solid components from brands like Sugino, EAI, Nitto, Izumi, Phil Wood, White Industries, Thomson, Brooks and Continental.

Basic but good-looking bikes (I really like that they have lugged and not unicrown forks, which to me makes a big difference aesthetically), good components, reasonable price points.

Another good option that I like is the Fuji Feather:

Established in 1899, Fuji Bikes was built on a commitment to produce quality, high-performance racing bicycles. Over a century later, that tradition continues with our latest line-up of road, gravel, mountain, hybrid, and kids models, ensuring an exceptional cycling experience for every type of rider.

That's probably the best-looking 'minimalist' bike you can buy right off the showroom floor.
        Last edited by leegf; 04-10-2015, 07:48 PM.

E46t

Comment

I ran across the Wabi Cycles page actually earlier. Looks like they make nice stuff like you said, others support that claim as well..
          -1976 2002 daily (Sold)
          -1986 528e 5 speed daily

Comment

Thinking of taking the plurge soon to get professionally fitted. Anyone else here get fitted up and notice a remarkable difference after?

Comment

When I had my Pinarello built for me in Italy I got fitted properly. Did it make a difference? Yes comfort wise. But that bike was built in 85 between then and now things have changed.
              https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Picked up a cool early '70's Mizutani Seraph 10 speed today, looks to be maybe a '74-75. Has new pads, newer brake cables, new tires, and the freewheel and hub were rebuilt. Got it as a cheap project going into summer. Needs new peddles and brake lines, I want to rewrap the drop handles, and all the chrome/metal needs to be polished. Going to leave the paint as-is as it has a nice patina and I'd rather keep the original decals on there. Shifts smooth and brakes fine but on the front brake is soft so I need more tension. Its a solid little vintage cruiser that needs a tune up and a little TLC, just riding it a little today put a smile on my face. Seat was trash so I put on a Fi'zik leftover from an older bike.

Love the headbadge
                '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
                '91 Alpine 318i (Gone) Click Here
                '92 Alpine 325i Cabrio (Gone) Click Here
                '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

So, saw this on bikesdirect. Any opinions? I'm a really, really tall guy so I would need a 61 anyways..
                  -1976 2002 daily (Sold)
                  -1986 528e 5 speed daily

Comment

Originally posted by Nesset View Post
                    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ixie-bikes.htm

So, saw this on bikesdirect. Any opinions? I'm a really, really tall guy so I would need a 61 anyways..
                    For the money, these are really well-regarded bikes purported to have quality (again, relative to the price point) components. If you are not bothered by snob appeal (or in this case, the lack thereof), then they would be fine for you.

If you can swing the extra $, a Mercier Kilo would be even better, and the raw and chrome bikes are (in my opinion) legitimately good-looking.

E46t

Comment

A smart kid from Central Washington University made this video. It's from NW Collegiate Cycling Conference races in the Palouse region of SE Washington, then the criterium on campus at Whitman College.

This weekend we (Montana) hosted the Collegiate and Open races. Road race was Saturday in the mountains near Bozeman, with a 1200 foot switchback climb to the finish. Sunday the crit was in downtown Missoula, with sunshine and blowing snow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1926242_1630996800465696_364653148566709705_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	7176227

Name:	11140216_1630995687132474_6935704546592907029_o.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	7176228

Montana wins Women's A

Name:	10604515_1630996353799074_4626692038998267680_o.jpg
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	7176229

The winner of Men's A, from UW, riding an old steel hand-painted bike. He was fast.

Name:	Mens A Winner on steel.jpg
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	7176230

Comment

That is super cool.. I'll join up if I can ride a single speed MTB lolol
                        -1976 2002 daily (Sold)
                        -1986 528e 5 speed daily

Comment

After the collegiate races, then the Open class, there was a fixie crit. Not single speed either, they had to be fixed gear. It was a hoot. They worked hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Nesset View Post
                            http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ixie-bikes.htm

I've read nothing but good things about them. I have the Kilo TT, dunno what the differences are exactly, but for a couple hundred bucks I'd imagine you can't go wrong. This may be the favorite of all my bikes to be honest. I actually didn't do any research beforehand, was cruising the site after a few beers and just pulled the trigger. Absolutely zero regrets. The Merciers do run big, might be the same with the Windsors. Mine is 60cm; I'm 6'1" and was really stretched out and uncomfortable at first, so it would probably be fine right out of the box if you're really tall. I ended up getting a short stem and now it's perfect.

I did a 40 mile ride on it a couple years ago (NYC Five Boro) and felt like I could have just kept on going all day.

Last edited by kway; 04-15-2015, 02:12 PM.
                            '84 318i - Lapisblau/Schwarz (in cryosleep)
                            '06 330i - Titansilber/Schwarz

Comment

Finally got out and rode for leisure for the first time in a while. Typically it's just to class and back. I'm really looking forward to moving somewhere a lot more bike friendly. And I'm also looking forward to being able to expand my collection...

My trusty 40 year old steed.

20150416-DSC_3682ps by PhillipKeefe, on Flickr

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                              Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Been cruising about on this thing for the past few days. Some not so vintage but old stuff. Garage finds for days!

-1976 2002 daily (Sold)
                                -1986 528e 5 speed daily

Comment

Working...
                                X