The R3V Bicycle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
    Shameson - that's a tough range to look in, unless you can find some good used deals. Ebay with some homework and reading before you buy.

You might check the generic models sold by Nashbar under their name - the assumption is they're built by the same manufacturers in Asia as name bikes but without the marketing.

There's 20% off that and free shipping right now. But check your local bike shops - they might have something as well.
    Ya I know it's a hard range to find anything quality. I've found Craigslist to be more successful so far, some great deals on cannondale, specialized and even some bianchi. A new bike is always nice but I had assumed in that range I'm better off looking for a eBay/cl deal.

There's a awesome bike shop literally 3 minutes down the street so I'll probably talk to them. If anything I might pick up something for myself haha and have them use my vintage Mizutani I just went through for now. The roads around here are flat for the most part so a 10 speed will do just fine.
    '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
    '91 Alpine 318i (Gone) Click Here
    '92 Alpine 325i Cabrio (Gone) Click Here
    '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

^^^ That sounds Japanese-Italian!

Comment

Originally posted by shameson View Post
        Looking for opinions on what you guys think are the best road bikes in the $400-$500 price range. I'm more familiar with more expensive bikes but am looking to pick something up that's closer to entry level for my parents as they want to get into road biking again. They haven't had a road bike since the steel frame days.

I'm checking cl for any used options but am unfamiliar what are good models in the lower price range anymore.
        Snobs may look down on them, but bikesdirect bikes have a reputation for being solid bikes and a great value. If all you care about is the ride and not the brand recognition, then you could do worse than buying a bike from there.

Bicycles & Bikes - Mountain, Triathlon, Road, Comfort, Hybrid and Women's Bikes, Kestrel, Fuji, Schwinn and GT bikes

E46t

Comment

Originally posted by leegf View Post
          Snobs may look down on them, but bikesdirect bikes have a reputation for being solid bikes and a great value. If all you care about is the ride and not the brand recognition, then you could do worse than buying a bike from there.

http://bikesdirect.com/

I have bought two bikes from them just for the price point on Shimano Ultegra that I promptly put on another frame.
          https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Checking up on a work project..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Colnago FA.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	7177442

Comment

My son is riding his bike across Montana. That's a bike at the far left end of this wind turbine blade at Judith Gap.

Name:	Judith Gap small.jpg
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	7177444

Comment

Beautiful Colnago, Ernesto would be proud. That looks like the Selle Italia saddle I have on my Cervelo.

Comment

Thank you. I love that bike. Yes, Selle Italia.

Comment

First African team at the Tour de France

This man, Daniel Teklehaimanot from Eritrea, was in a 3-man breakaway most of the day yesterday and lead part of the stage. Pretty cool. He lead over some small mountains and in todays stage he wears the King of the Mountain jersey.

They're backed in part by a foundation that provides bikes in poor areas.

Tyler Farrar, one of three Americans in this years Tour, rides for this team.

Name:	Half-Landscape-Right-Daniel1-1000x600.jpg
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	7177627

Name:	Daniel-Teklehaimanot.jpeg
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	7177628

Name:	15-MTN-Gal-1-f818e284-b26c-448d-acb4-8476e30fac40-0-960x480.jpg
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	7177629

Comment

^^^ That's awesome. As a former colony of Italy, Eritrea has a rich cycling heritage as this video shows:

It's about fixed gear cyclist Patrick Seabase - which may or may not be your thing - but there's a lot of good footage of and information about Eritrea as well.

(Better quality link here)

E46t

Comment

Slowly re-building my track bike to become a dedicated velodrome crusher again and retire it from burrito hauling duties. Looking forward to riding the black line again!

Comment

I am looking for suggestions... I have been riding more and would like to get a more road oriented bike. Right now I am using my 20 year old GT outpost trail. It works for what it is but I got it when I was 15 and is a little small. I really only use it on the road right now so would like to get something lighter, faster, and more road oriented.

I would like a hybrid flat bar bike that does NOT have twist shifters.

Looked at a couple fuji's last night but they did not have anything in my size assembled that I could ride. I did ride one of the road bikes and liked it but not into the drop bars.

I would like to spend under $500. More like $300 would be ideal. I am going to go look at a specialized sirrus at a different shop if I have a chance today.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I was looking at bikesdirect.com and the Gravity Avenue FX is tempting at the price. Or some of their other off brand hybrid fitness bikes.
                          www.classicdaily.net
                          1970 m42 swapped 2002
                          1985 LS1/T56 Swapped e28 (557e)

www.blunttech.com - For all your parts needs

Follow me on Instagram for constant build updates @classicdaily
                          https://www.facebook.com/ClassicDailyLLC

Comment

Originally posted by jakeb View Post
                            I am looking for suggestion...

I would like a hybrid flat bar bike that does NOT have twist shifters.
                            That's a bit tricky. there is not a whole lot of options when it comes to that style. If you are wanting something that's fairly inexpensive and is comfortable I would look at buying a mountain bike and swapping road tires on it. That would probably give you a decent hybrid for a good price. You could look on Craigslist and find one a couple years used and then pick up tires on the cheap. I picked up a Hardrock a few years back (upgraded since) for $250. The guy rode it once. The geometry would be a little more slack but I think you'd find it more comfortable on longer rides.

Comment

I ended up doing just that. Took my old GT mtn bike and put slicks on it. I did track down an old road bike from a garage sale and will switch back and forth. The road bike it an old (from 80s) Nishiki Gran Tour 15. Replaced the tires on it and rides pretty good
                              www.classicdaily.net
                              1970 m42 swapped 2002
                              1985 LS1/T56 Swapped e28 (557e)

www.blunttech.com - For all your parts needs

Follow me on Instagram for constant build updates @classicdaily
                              https://www.facebook.com/ClassicDailyLLC

Comment

Originally posted by jakeb View Post
                                I ended up doing just that. Took my old GT mtn bike and put slicks on it. I did track down an old road bike from a garage sale and will switch back and forth. The road bike it an old (from 80s) Nishiki Gran Tour 15. Replaced the tires on it and rides pretty good
                                I picked up an early 70's mizutani to have as a secondary to my mountain bike. After new tires, tubes and cables it rides like a champ.

If you were still considering a new bike, I picked up a 2015 specialized hardrock for $400 (they're $650 normally). Was a custom special order so they wanted it gone. Flat bar with thumb shifters, it's a great bike.
                                '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
                                '91 Alpine 318i (Gone) Click Here
                                '92 Alpine 325i Cabrio (Gone) Click Here
                                '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

Working...
                                X