The R3V Bicycle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to the Sun Road

My son and I rode up this pass Friday night on the full moon. Glacier National Park. It was just completely nutty and fantastic. It's a regular thing people do 3 times a summer on the full moons. Sometimes a few people, sometimes a couple hundred. They said last year there was a wedding up on top at midnight.

We rode from Avalanche Creek, so 16 miles up at about 6% for the last 10 miles. Sunset, everything in shadows, just beautiful. Then it gets really dark and there's still traffic up there with cars blinding you now and then on curves. The moon is lighting up all the peaks and the floor of the valley below, but you're in the shadow of the cliffs so still pretty dark. As you get to the saddle and cross the valley at the top..BOOM...moonrise! And it's really bright.

He humored me and rode slow, but it was quite a pace for me. But you slow down and chat with people as you pass. Lots of nutty lights and glow sticks and a couple of little kids.

Maybe 100 people at the top milling around the visitor center and talking, resting. We helped fix a couple of flats for people with group tools and lights, dried out, had some food, bundled up, headed down. Fast and CHILLY! Switchbacks come up out of nowhere so you have to be on your brakes all the time. Got down at 2AM, campgrounds all full, slept in the back of the car.

Next morning took the free shuttle bus back up and did some amazing hikes off the top of the pass. We saw goats, baby goats, a bighorn sheep, lots of little varmints, and a grizzly way across the meadow - everybody was watching with scopes. Rangers weren't worried, he was plenty far away.

It was a great experience - if you haven't been to Glacier Park, it's worth a trip. You use words you never use, like stunning, immense, vast...

The road crosses that shelf below the peak in the center of the pic. Couple of switchbacks and then you're in a saddle at 6646 feet. Seems way higher than that when you're up there.

(Not our photos)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Glacier - Logan Pass.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	7177932

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	7177933

All of this was built in the early 30s as a WPA project. There are big drop-offs, a couple of tunnels, and places where the cliff above you overhangs the road. They don't allow big campers to go over. The shuttle busses just clear.

Name:	3 arches.jpg
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	7177934

Maybe one of these was the guy we saw! This is when the road is partially cleared in late spring, but note no guardrails installed yet - the snowslides just rip them off, so they engineered removable rails.

Name:	Glacier Picture Sheep(1).jpg
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	7177935
    Last edited by LateFan; 08-03-2015, 11:38 AM.

Comment

This is how it looks in late spring when they start to dig it out. Sometimes it doesn't open until early July.

[ATTACH]99524[/ATTACH]

They'll dig parts of it out and then it'll slide again.
      [ATTACH]99525[/ATTACH]

This is along the "Weeping Wall." Very rare, but it has happened.
      [ATTACH]99526[/ATTACH]

Comment

^ That's pretty rad! I'm just getting back into bikes after a LONG hiatus... I picked up a 1 owner 1988 Cannondale ST700 from a doctor here in town. It's my first road bike but I'm really enjoying it. My wife decided she wanted to start as well. We looked around but I was having a hard time finding anything used that fit her. We ended up getting her a new Cannondale Quick hybrid.

Been fun pedaling again....realized how out of shape I am!
        sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

Originally posted by IronFreak View Post
          ...realized how out of shape I am!
          ^^^ oh shit yes... I was hurting!

Comment

Can you guys shed some info or good places to learn/read about these fixie bikes I keep seeing. I'm oddly drawn to them for some reason, I think its the overall simplicity of them. My Cannondale is an 88' with a 27" wheel. I was thinking about getting into a newer road bike next year once I've put down a few more miles. After I did that I wanted to have some fun with the cannondale, maybe convert it over to a 29" fixie or something. Seems like it might be a cheaper hobby then building racecars.....
            sigpic

Comment

Can you guys shed some info or good places to learn/read about these fixie bikes I keep seeing. I'm oddly drawn to them for some reason, I think its the overall simplicity of them. My Cannondale is an 88' with a 27" wheel. I was thinking about getting into a newer road bike next year once I've put down a few more miles. After I did that I wanted to have some fun with the cannondale, maybe convert it over to a 29" fixie or something. Seems like it might be a cheaper hobby then building racecars.....
              This is a good place to start:

Fixed gear bicycles are usually associated with track cycling, but many riders enjoy riding them on the road. How to set up and ride a fixed-gear bicycle for road use.

Click around on that website and you'll find information on how to do the conversion as well.

E46t

Comment

I caught the Men's Pro race at the San Rafael Sunset crit a couple years ago. This is one of the hardest races I've ever done (Cat 3). These guys were flying.
                A couple guys from Mikes Bikes lapped the field about half way through the race so everyone was racing for 3rd place.

I also just scored a set of Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLR wheels. No they aren't the lightest thing, nor the most aero, but I lost over a pound of rotational weight off the bike. It might sound funny, but I can't wait to climb a good hill on them. They should be great for coming down the hill as well.

Will
                '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                '88 BMW M3

Comment

^^^ How do you do that where it's all black & white except for the yellow?

[ATTACH]99576[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                    ^^^ How do you do that where it's all black & white except for the yellow?

[ATTACH]99576[/ATTACH]
                    I use photoshop Lightroom. I desaturate all the colors aside from yellow. I then pushed the yellow level up to where I liked it. Its pretty easy if you have control of all the main colors.

Will
                    '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                    '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                    '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                    '88 BMW M3

Comment

Well I thought I was ok with an older bike..... Then this popped up on local CL for a good price.

2009 Cannondale Six, Aluminum Frame, Carbon fork, etc. Came with clip in shoes that fit me pretty good, bottles, bag, bike computer.

www.classicdaily.net
                      1970 m42 swapped 2002
                      1985 LS1/T56 Swapped e28 (557e)

www.blunttech.com - For all your parts needs

Follow me on Instagram for constant build updates @classicdaily
                      https://www.facebook.com/ClassicDailyLLC

Comment

Originally posted by jakeb View Post
                        Well I thought I was ok with an older bike..... Then this popped up on local CL for a good price.

2009 Cannondale Six, Aluminum Frame, Carbon fork, etc. Came with clip in shoes that fit me pretty good, bottles, bag, bike computer.

I saw this on IG last night, very cool. I'd like to step up to something like that next year after I do more riding. Mind sharing what something at the level goes for? Got to setup a budget ;)
                        sigpic

Comment

I saw this on IG last night, very cool. I'd like to step up to something like that next year after I do more riding. Mind sharing what something at the level goes for? Got to setup a budget ;)

I paid $500 for it. A new one just like it was $1k at the LBS without shoes, and other accessories.
                          www.classicdaily.net
                          1970 m42 swapped 2002

Comment

Originally posted by jakeb View Post
                            I paid $500 for it. A new one just like it was $1k at the LBS without shoes, and other accessories.
                            That's a steal, nice bike, only I don't like is the triple crank.
                            https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                              That's a steal, nice bike, only I don't like is the triple crank.
                              Yeah I think I got a good price.
                              It has a double crank, 9 at the hub
                              www.classicdaily.net
                              1970 m42 swapped 2002

Comment

Anybody do an bike packing? I scored a Surly Straggler frameset and Sram Rival 22 groupset on craigslist, thinking about building it up with racks and bags for bike packing/touring. Although I do really like the new Specialized Awol. My roommates and I are tossing around the idea of riding Hwy 1 from Mexico to Canada next year, we are all stoked on the idea but we need touring rigs first.

Flickr

@michael.colby on Instagram

"All he needed was a wheel in his hand and four on the road"

Comment

Working...
                                X