Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dussen View Post
    Do you have a picture of your setup?
    Sure, not much to it really. My first road bike, trainer tires front and rear. For longer sessions I'll set up a fan, anything under an hour I don't bother. Been meaning to get a mat to put under it just so I don't sweat all over the carpet, but I have a towel handy while I'm riding so don't drip too much. That carpet will be getting replaced eventually anyway.

Poor man's cycling computer, $4 shipped each on eBay. Top one runs off the crank for cadence, bottom one is speed/distance like normal.

The more elaborate setup, usually only bother with this over the winter when I'm really jonesing for the road. Just a bit of a hassle to move the coffee table, position the rollers, get YouTube up on the tv, blah blah blah. It's the only way I can do long sessions without getting bored out of my skull though; I've done 2 hours plus this way.

'84 318i - Lapisblau/Schwarz (in cryosleep)
    '06 330i - Titansilber/Schwarz

Comment

Just got a 95 specialized globe with sachs s7 7 speed hub, trying to mount a small 4 stroke to it maybe lol
      Jah bless! :pimp:

Comment

Originally posted by kway View Post
        Sure, not much to it really. My first road bike, trainer tires front and rear. For longer sessions I'll set up a fan, anything under an hour I don't bother. Been meaning to get a mat to put under it just so I don't sweat all over the carpet, but I have a towel handy while I'm riding so don't drip too much. That carpet will be getting replaced eventually anyway.

Poor man's cycling computer, $4 shipped each on eBay. Top one runs off the crank for cadence, bottom one is speed/distance like normal.

The more elaborate setup, usually only bother with this over the winter when I'm really jonesing for the road. Just a bit of a hassle to move the coffee table, position the rollers, get YouTube up on the tv, blah blah blah. It's the only way I can do long sessions without getting bored out of my skull though; I've done 2 hours plus this way.

That's actually really cool. Not sure I could convince my wife to let it slide though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Haha! Well it does fold for storage if need be, but I do have a very understanding (some might say long suffering) wife.
          '84 318i - Lapisblau/Schwarz (in cryosleep)
          '06 330i - Titansilber/Schwarz

Comment

Nice. I have a set of Krietler 4.5" rollers I got on eBay. For me it was a bit of work to learn how and get the balance right, then it's fun and pretty relaxing - like humming down the road.

Mine doesn't have that handy step in the center to put your foot on. You don't want to step on the steel frame rail with your slippery cleats!

I don't have the computer or tv stuff - I just set it up at a big window so I can look outside.

Comment

Here's my baby

Comment

bit of a mid-life freshen up for this one...

I bought this maybe 2011/12, had it set up for XC with a Reba XX, an RP23 and some Stan's ZTR355's. Was OK for XC racing. Sure was fast point to point but I ever really dug it as a trial bike.

Stan's sealant ate the rims, so rebuilt the old King Disc-go-tech (ancient - and could be converted to 15mm... bless u CK) hubs onto new 'light bicycle' hoops, new Float 34 130mm fork and a new DB inline.

Rides like a completely different bike. I love it. The Reba XX was totally holding this bike back, a little more travel, a little slacker... it is awesome.
                88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

New to me frame. Klein Aura. Its a far better bike than my Cervelo, 15.8 lbs with an aluminum steerer tube fork and Campy Record 10. The bottom bracket is however too low. Anyone have a 58 cm Klein Q-Carbon Pro (Compact geometry) they are looking to part with?

This still can't touch my Tsunami Custom frame that I designed. So far I have yet to find a frame that rides/corners as well.

Will
                  '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                  '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                  '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                  '88 BMW M3

Comment

The Aura / Q-PRO XX was a good crit bike.

Always wanted a Gerolstiener one back in the day
                    88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

Originally posted by burkey001 View Post
                      The Aura / Q-PRO XX was a good crit bike.

Always wanted a Gerolstiener one back in the day
                      I wouldn't call them a good crit bike, the bottom bracket on both is really too low. The Aura is WAY too low, the Q-Pro might be barely high enough. My custom Tsunami crit frame is 3/4 of an inch taller than the Aura, and half an inch taller than the Q-Pro. I would be afraid to race the Aura in a crit, I had a pedal strike taking a leisurely corner on my ride today. In a crit, there is no time to stop pedaling through a corner, a corner is where you can move up, or lose 10 places depending on whether or not you pedal it. This thing, hell no, I'm just asking to take myself and everyone behind me out. I had the same issue with my Litespeed Vortex, I'd strike pedals all the time. Not cool. I do not understand why bike builders spec low bottom brackets. Its dumb, and it makes the bike slower, and handle poorly. Cervelo got it almost right, except they failed to spec a large enough top tube so the bike is like riding a wet noodle. Its flat out scary to ride fast down a technical descent. When it comes time to sprint, the odds of tossing the chain off the big ring at full speed are better than average.

I guess the bottom line is, off the shelf frames still don't work for me, and I really need to get my custom frame fixed.

Will
                      '88 BMW M3

Comment

What set up would you guys recommend for someone getting into crit racing coming from a triathlon/tt bike? I thought about doing my first crit in the fixed gear class

Comment

My Parlee TTiR, I've only ridden it like 8 times last year, need to get it out more, my beater bike is some chinerello dogma replica, frame was $750 had it for three years 14k and 100+ races later it's still around; I can't kill it. Lol
                          Attached Files
                          Build Thread
                          https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=419655
                          Parts Thread
                          https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=408302

Comment

The "chinerello" build minus the zipp 404s (costing more than the bike) was like $1300 bucks with a Ultegra 6800 group set.
                            Attached Files
                            Build Thread
                            https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=419655
                            Parts Thread
                            https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=408302

Comment

Originally posted by jag09 View Post
                              What set up would you guys recommend for someone getting into crit racing coming from a triathlon/tt bike? I thought about doing my first crit in the fixed gear class

There is no such thing as a fixed gear class for crits. As for a good bike for one, it depends on many things. My personal race bike is essentially a TT bike with a tall bottom bracket. If you are off in a breakaway, you are essentially doing either an ITT or TTT, so the more aero you can get, the less energy you are using to stay off the front. If you happen to have a Cervelo, and you are comfortable going hard on it, sprinting on it, I'd stick with it. Cervelo is one of the few builders that design their frames with an adequately high bottom bracket. Its been a long time since I rode a carbon framed Cervelo, but I will say my aluminum Soloist team/S1 does not have a large enough diameter top tube to be a good crit bike. The front end is just too flimsy. This might not be the case with a carbon one. (That said, I wouldn't run a carbon one in a crit because if you are involved in a crash, odds are the frame will be compromised. You might not see damage on the outside, but it doesn't mean its not damaged on the inside. If you do see damage on the outside, throw it away.)

Unless you run 172.5 or shorter cranks, you will need a bottom bracket that is at least 10.8 inches tall. (People will tell you I'm smoking crack, and that 10.5 inch tall bbs are fine... until they either don't pedal through the corner or take themselves and everyone else around them out. Pedaling through corners without fear of a pedal strike allows you to move up in every single corner safely, on the inside doing minimum work.)

Will
                              '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                                There is no such thing as a fixed gear class for crits. As for a good bike for one, it depends on many things. My personal race bike is essentially a TT bike with a tall bottom bracket. If you are off in a breakaway, you are essentially doing either an ITT or TTT, so the more aero you can get, the less energy you are using to stay off the front. If you happen to have a Cervelo, and you are comfortable going hard on it, sprinting on it, I'd stick with it. Cervelo is one of the few builders that design their frames with an adequately high bottom bracket. Its been a long time since I rode a carbon framed Cervelo, but I will say my aluminum Soloist team/S1 does not have a large enough diameter top tube to be a good crit bike. The front end is just too flimsy. This might not be the case with a carbon one. (That said, I wouldn't run a carbon one in a crit because if you are involved in a crash, odds are the frame will be compromised. You might not see damage on the outside, but it doesn't mean its not damaged on the inside. If you do see damage on the outside, throw it away.)

Unless you run 172.5 or shorter cranks, you will need a bottom bracket that is at least 10.8 inches tall. (People will tell you I'm smoking crack, and that 10.5 inch tall bbs are fine... until they either don't pedal through the corner or take themselves and everyone else around them out. Pedaling through corners without fear of a pedal strike allows you to move up in every single corner safely, on the inside doing minimum work.)

Will

In my local series there's a special class that runs fixies. My current Tri-TT bike is a Felt B14 from 2010 if I recall correctly. It's a carbon frame so that's why I was iffy running it as it's currently my only bike. I will have to check the frame/part specs to see about the cranks, bottom bracket clearance, and top tube

Comment

Working...
                                X