The results of macworld 08 so far.
Collapse
X
-
We can whine and moan all we want - but the fact remains it will be the most popular laptop in coffee shops across the world. My friend who loves macs here at work has already wet himself over it thrice. -
I know nothing about computers. As far as the non user replaceable battery goes, I think it's smart on Apple's part. If you want to control your destiny as far as laptops go, you may not want to buy this. If you want to continue supporting Apple and giving them money again and again, go for it!Leave a comment:
-
True. I am just saying that it is not as big as that makes it look.Leave a comment:
-
-
-
Its an LED screen but it is too big.
The whole point of an ultraportable is to be small, not just thin. The laptop isnt really that impressive if you look at it. Its a .76" thick really, they list the .16 or whatever but that is basically the taper at the edges. If that was a realistic measure I could say my dell is between 1" and .3 inches because it tapers a bit at the edges too. Ill take my dell being .24" thicker since it has the reinforced cage behind the screen and the impact zone around the HD.
Overall the Air is larger than my dell. Its a whopping 13" wide and 9 inches deep. It wouldnt fit in the laptop bag that my dell goes into. I would have to go back to one made for a standard 14" laptop.
It weighs the same as my dell with the 5 hour battery in, but here is the kicker. If I dont mind an extra half a pound I can put the long life battery in (or even carry both batteries for 12+ hours). The apple cant do that.
I will admit its CPU is a bit faster but that is moot as it uses a 1.8" drive which is slow as balls and will be a huge bottleneck.
The screen sucks. It has the same res as my 12" display but my dell can power a 30" display while the Air cannot.
Cant upgrade drive or memory. No docking solution. No ports on it, yeah I know they are designing everything to be wireless but what happens when you leave your house and all of your snazzy wireless accesories? How about those hotels that dont have wifi, you have to have a dongle to plug in. Kinda kills the whole lightness edge.
So its not lighter, not faster, larger, and less usable than my dell. And it even costs $200 more, yay. Id be willing to spend $200 more just to get the LED screen though, I want that for the extra life. Hopefully dell buys 12" ones for the new D4XX and I can transplant it. Then its flash drive time!Leave a comment:
-
I havent done my research yet, and as an Apple owner, that thing sucks.
Also are they just reusing all the LCDs they have for the Macbooks in this new "Macbook", to save some moneys? Otherwise I think a slightly smaller screen would have been better.
anyway, time to buy some stock.Leave a comment:
-
Umm.. Not trying to fan some flames, but that thing is pretty freakin sick. Watch the intro and check out the specs. I'm pretty impressed.Leave a comment:
-
I agree, especially with the lack of gigabit port.
Apple has lost it.Leave a comment:
-
-
Who gives a shit, what the hell do you need a 3/4 laptop for? You're losing performance for looks... Oh wait.. its a mac.
Disregard what I said.Leave a comment:
-
Jeez.. Its been announced for like 3 hours and theres been major discussion about it already at my firm.
I wish Apple would die.Leave a comment:


Leave a comment: