Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: What do you think of aftermarket bumpers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT: What do you think of aftermarket bumpers?

This is related to a '94 F150. I slid on some ice in to a pole in a parking lot at like 5mph. So I need a new bumper. I see here (ebay) that I can get a brand new chrome bumper shipped to my house for $200.

What I'm wondering is how do aftermarket body pieces fit? I'm sure it depends on the manufacturer, but does anyone have experience with them? I'd be more skeptical of a fender or hood or something, but it seems like a bumper would be easy to get to fit.

Would it be better to go to a body shop and have them order me an after market one and pay their markup? Would it be better quality?

I know this is not e30 related, so any help here would be greatly appreciated.

I would say the only thing that I'd be worried about is the fitment quality. In the car world, as we all know, you tend to get what you pay for. Otherwise, I'm sure it works fine as a steel bumper. Is there any feedback on the fitment (I didn't look)? I don't know what a factory bumper/"high end" aftermarket piece would go for so the price differential would be an indicator of how shitty this product is/is not.
    PNW Crew
    90 m3
    06 m5

Comment

I skimmed through the feedback, and he/they sell a lot of different parts. I didn't really see much feedback on actual fitment, but he's got 99.1% positive, with almost 12,000 positive and just 170 negative.

Comment

I bet it would be more cost effective to buy that and make it fit. It is a truck so things aren't really as seamlessly put together as some cars are.
        Last edited by uofom3; 02-06-2008, 06:53 PM. Reason: shpellin
        PNW Crew
        90 m3
        06 m5

Comment

I'd have to wonder about the quality of the chrome also.

1992 BMW 325iC
          1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
          1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Are you really that concerned with fitment quality? It is a '94 Ford F-150, and not an e30 :)

Comment

If your interested i have a friend who makes extremely strong custom bumpers for trucks, they are not lite by any means but they are indestructible. ex. the bumper he had on his f350 crushed a car on the freeway without damaging the bumper at all other than a little paint. not sure how much he would charge, if your interested i can find out for you.
              m106 1990 e30
              e36 daily
              e32 cruiser

Comment

Originally posted by stevofthahill View Post
                Are you really that concerned with fitment quality? It is a '94 Ford F-150, and not an e30 :)
                Actually, I am that concerned with the fitment. This is just a '94, but it is an extremely clean and well taken care of truck. It just rolled over 100k miles, and there is only one tiny ding on the entire body besides this last little incident. This truck is easily worth more than my e30.

As far as a custom bumper, I think I'd rather keep it stock. Everything except the bed liner, the diamond plate accents, the toolbox, wheels and the stereo are stock. I really just want to return it to the way it was before.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoJ's View Post
                  Actually, I am that concerned with the fitment. This is just a '94, but it is an extremely clean and well taken care of truck. It just rolled over 100k miles, and there is only one tiny ding on the entire body besides this last little incident. This truck is easily worth more than my e30.

As far as a custom bumper, I think I'd rather keep it stock. Everything except the bed liner, the diamond plate accents, the toolbox, wheels and the stereo are stock. I really just want to return it to the way it was before.
                  Well then I respect your decision, it's just that clean early 90's f150 are very few and far between.

Comment

All the more reason for me to keep it looking good.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoJ's View Post
                      All the more reason for me to keep it looking good.
                      Word, I've always kinda liked the boxy f-150's. But ford ruined the design with the generation after that. Those trucks look so god awful.

Comment

I believe that is the same company that supplies www.partrain.com

I just ordered a front end for an accord... and it fit like SHIT. Bumper wasn't even close to fitting on properly. It was waaayyy to narrow height wise, took 3 of us to stretch it on.

Now I know never to buy from them again...
                        Rollin' with a Geistkuchen

Comment

I bought a replacement front bumper assembly for my Dodge Dakota R/T off of eBay last year. Bumper, lower cover, fog lights, and new bumper mounts. The price was stupid cheap and the parts were fine. Not blow my socks off spectacular, but just fine. They mounted and looked completely OEM, and when repainted I'm sure you'd have a tough time telling the difference.

Tim

1987 E30 cabrio | Bumper swap | H&R Sport | Koni Yellow | Eibach Sways | BavAuto strut bar | Cardinal seats
                          MTech2 wheel | Husco Armrest | Smoked Hella Smileys | 5k HID | Stromung | RS003
                          | Shadowline | Amber Fogs | Too much else to list

Comment

How long do you plan on keeping the truck? If not long then get it and sell the truck.

Comment

Working...
                            X