No announcement yet.

Official Aviation Thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^epic photo timing right there. I was going to go, but the airplane I was going to fly blew a cylinder in June and is now down for an overhaul.
    here's an Allison 250 turboprop conversion Bonanza I saw at work a few weeks ago

Comment

Originally posted by gkurey View Post

Time to resurrect this thread!

Anyone going to Oshkosh this year? I'll be there w/ a T45!
      Nice dude, enjoy that. I had an awesome time on my 3 T-45 ccx's, especially the airnav solo. Pretty much rockstar treatment anywhere you go, even if it's just an orange and white.
      e92 M3
      e30 M3 s52 swap
      w203 C240 wagon (DD)
      190e 5.6 swap (in surgery)

Comment

Is anyone other than me going to the Reno Air Races this year? I'm looking forward to hearing 4000 hp supercharged V12s, 4360 ci 28 cylinder radials with a few other awesome sounding motors pushing 500 mph 75 feet off the ground. Its a spectacle that you can't only see once a year, in only one place on earth.

I'm hoping to make it up for both Friday and Saturday. I wish I could be there on Sunday, but I have my own race to be at.

Will
        '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
        '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
        '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
        '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
          Is anyone other than me going to the Reno Air Races this year? I'm looking forward to hearing 4000 hp supercharged V12s, 4360 ci 28 cylinder radials with a few other awesome sounding motors pushing 500 mph 75 feet off the ground. Its a spectacle that you can't only see once a year, in only one place on earth.

I'm hoping to make it up for both Friday and Saturday. I wish I could be there on Sunday, but I have my own race to be at.

Will
          It always awkwardly doesn't quite coincide with the Tailhook Reunion weekend in Reno, so I will again probably not make it.
          e92 M3
          e30 M3 s52 swap
          w203 C240 wagon (DD)

Comment

^^^They can't make too many good deals, ya know? I'm thinking about trying to get to tailhook myself...

Here are a few pics I grabbed thru my phone this weekend at Oshkosh...what an event!! Exceeded my expectations on all levels. The people there were just nice as can be too...I was taken aback. On with the pics:

Experimental T-6C prototype

The only flying B-29

Beautiful B-25, flew every day a few times too...sounded great!

B-17G...this thing was immaculate, I also got to go inside!

Yours truly next to a modded Corsair

P-40

There were no kidding 20+ Mustangs there...a sight to behold. I felt like I was back at an airfield in the 40's.

So many cool home-builds

Extra300:

This was parked next to me:

And last but not least, what I brought...all hail the clown jet:

Comment

Went to oshkosh as well, did I happen to see you double fisting beers at Fratellos Saturday evening ?

Comment

Very nice pics gkurey! Do you ever make it out to KIWA in that thing? I see buddies of yours and USAF and NASA T38s there all the time.

Comment

That isn't just some modded Corsair. That is one of (I think 6) Goodyear F2G Corsairs built, and is a Cleveland National Championship Air races winner from the late '40s. That was Cook Clelands bird and it has been restored exactly the way it raced back in the day. For decades it was owned by Walter Soplatta (Look him up if you don't know who that is.) where it was pretty much left for dead (but not really, again, look up Mr. Soplatta and you will understand what I mean.) That bird is one of 2 remaining Cleveland racers, the other being another F2G formerly owned by Cook Cleland and was restored by the same guy who had the other one. When it comes to special birds, that is right at the top of the list. Here is some history on it. http://warbirdinformationexchange.or...242046e2de184a

I hope to see this bird in a few weeks at Reno.

Will
                  '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by Perfectpint View Post
                    Went to oshkosh as well, did I happen to see you double fisting beers at Fratellos Saturday evening ?
                    I was at Fratellos on Thurs...Saturday night I was elsewhere...did you fly something in?

tttoon, I haven't been out that far west in a Navy jet yet, but I'm sure others have stopped in before!

Will...yeah forgive me for not getting into the weeds there, just trying to use layperson terms. If you refer to a corsair as a Goodyear, people usually start the WTFs, haha! We had a FG1D stop by our base last week as well...super slick.

Comment

I was a VT-7 alum as well. Good times. Hows Zeller the yeller? Mr K still giving out aboves for shining your boots?

Anyway, yeah dude, go to TH. I went for the first time as a VT stud, and it was amazing. Haven't missed it since, aside from one year when I was doing god's work during initial Hornet CQ. If you do, I'll be in the Valion or VMFAT-101 admins, drinking my face off for all my bros that are on the boat and can't be there. It's worth the trip!
                      e92 M3
                      e30 M3 s52 swap
                      w203 C240 wagon (DD)

Comment

There were a total of 10 Goodyear F2G Corsairs built. The major differences between the F4Us and the F2Gs was the canopy and the Pratt & Whitney R4360 sitting up front. Of those 10, three remain. The two Racers seen here, and one at the Boeing Museum of Flight.

Will
                        Last edited by BlackbirdM3; 07-30-2012, 06:00 PM.
                        '88 BMW M3

Comment

One of my all time favourite planes. Soooo nice.
                          Tim.

Comment

Ah, an aviation thread! I feel so at home... haha.

Originally posted by gkurey View Post
                            So many cool home-builds

A Baby Ace! I've got some time in this one... Cool airplane! There's no trim of any kind, and actually doesn't need it.

Unfortunately, no bigger pictures could be found...

I need to go dig up pictures of other neat stuff I've been lucky enough to play with.

And of course, the daily driver:

Comment

Right rudderrrrrrrr! I would hate to teach anyone in this airplane.

Comment

Originally posted by tttoon View Post
                                Right rudderrrrrrrr! I would hate to teach anyone in this airplane.
                                Yeah, not the sort of thing you just jump into. But still, its got an R4360! I just don't want to be feeding it, or changing the spark plugs (all 56 of them). Still, what I'd do to go for a ride :D

Will
                                '88 BMW M3

Comment

Working...
                                X