Official Aviation Thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow, cool!

As already explained previously, NASA still operates the last two flying WB-57Fs, NASA 926 and 928. Both have been flying research missions since the
    My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Yeah I was reading about it on that site. I had come across it a few months ago and was flabbergasted seeing such an old relic. The original RB-57 was the aircraft that recorded when the Soviets exploded their atomic bomb.

When I first saw it I was curious as too who was flying such an old aircraft. They also have a few TR-2's and had been flying SR-71's for awhile after USAF retired them.
      https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

The RB57s have/had wing spar fatigue issues, that is why they quit flying them and scrambled to replace them with the early U2s. They could neither fly high enough or fast enough to evade SAMs. The U2 couldn't either, the U2R/S and TR1s still can't but they can lift a lot more than the early U2Cs. I honestly didn't know there were any RB57s that were flight worthy. Those are mid '40s technology, the original design was the English Electric Canberra who's construction started in '46, but didn't fly till '49!

The US has been fumbling around trying to fill a gap it created in 1990. We had things back in order by '95, but again shot ourselves in the foot. It wasn't till Oct 9, 1999 that we finally blew both our feet of when they parked NASA 844, N844NA for good.

Granted, an SR71 is not the best tool for the job the RB57s are being used for, however, a TR1 will do the job far better, with a lower hour platform. Like I said, the RB57s had fatigue issues in the wings, it wasn't an issue that could be patched up and glossed over. The US needs to quit wasting big $ on drones that do a half assed job and either get shot town or hacked. Restart the Senior Crown program. It could be done, the knowledge base is still here, engines are still around and I can think of 5 complete airframes, 4 of which are in the LA/Palmdale area, all of which were flown to their current locations. I'd start with 980 (NASA 844) since it was the last to fly, 955 is just down the street from 980, 973 is at Blackbird Airpark at Palmdale, and 975 is at March afb. 960 is at Castle, and looking really long on the tooth, but is an intact airframe.

Just a thought.
        Will
        '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
        '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
        '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
        '88 BMW M3

Comment

So was the change in designation to WB-57 concurrent with any mods? Or was it just a change in name only? I've seen them at Ellington a number of times, but never outside of their hangar. Cool airplanes certainly. I'm guessing they use a start cart/huffer now, and not the original canister charge.
          e92 M3
          e30 M3 s52 swap
          w203 C240 wagon (DD)
          190e 5.6 swap (in surgery)

Comment

I don't get to do anything cool like flying aircraft, but I get to detail them when they get back:
            1989 325iC Zinnoberrot

Comment

These have been updated they are WB vs RB the wing has a larger MAC and has definitely been upgraded just look at the massive fans that are on the jet now.

They have given up the 60's starter cartridges years ago.
              RB-57

versus WB-57

Also not the air start off the huffer. These things are ancient but just like the BUFF they have most likely rebuilt the whole thing at some time. NASA only owns 2 and they have been swapping out tours in the turd world on yearly rotations. TR's are currently busy with the two other hot spots.

One of our pilots was on loan to DIA/XXXX a few years back and he crashed a Global Hawk and it went down in the Mountains between Pakistan and Afghanistan. The did set off the self destruct so there was squat remaining of it.

We tried to give him a part of it with serial number on it as a gag gift when he retired. He also was on Wing's when he was a FB-111 pilot.

Comment

The E&E dude's email I gave you works on this program. NASA is currently building another WB-57F model that came from the Boneyard.

Comment

Any of you nunchucks out there in the clownjet this week? I was stuck onboard God's airport after our airwing did it's refresher CQ, and awoke to a flight deck that had been invaded by orange and white. Looked like guys were doing alright anyway (save a couple scary passes), from what I saw out on the platform
                  e92 M3
                  e30 M3 s52 swap
                  w203 C240 wagon (DD)

Comment

I knew a couple guys that were out there this week...no DQ's from what I've heard back; I think they're wrapping it up today. CQ easier in the hornet??

Comment

Originally posted by gkurey View Post
                      I knew a couple guys that were out there this week...no DQ's from what I've heard back; I think they're wrapping it up today. CQ easier in the hornet??
                      Yes and no. It is an overall easier jet to fly around the boat.....it doesn't float at the ramp like the Goshawk.......I'd say that unless you are real high, which isn't a good plan on a 3 wire boat, I'm pretty much going to mil at the in-close to at the ramp position just about every time to hold the ball above the datums......it's just a lot heavier and draggier, so you can get away with bigger power on corrections in normal conditions. It also holds on-speed like a rock which is much better for using the throttle to control glideslope/etc.....in other words you don't need to influence the nose really to hold on speed like you do in the -45. The pattern is a little bit different, just in terms of mechanics. It is, by the book, the same pattern, but you are wider abeam, and you use a much lower descent rate prior to the 90 position. I basically go from 600' abeam down to about 500-550' at the 90, and then just start flying the ICLS needles if they are up from there to gauge where I will be on glideslope when I roll out in the groove. The big difference, obviously, is doing it at night. That takes a lot of getting used to, and it is a different environment. I did my initial Hornet CQ in the RAG a couple of years ago, so I've gotten to see the back of the boat at night quite a few times since then. Difference now being that I know what to expect, and I know what kind of corrections get you into the wires, and the kinds of corrections that will scare paddles, or conversely, the ones that will cause a bolter. It's still scary as balls I'd say, but eventually you get the hang of it to the point where you can throw decent passes and not scare anyone or bolter yourself to a bingo.
                      e92 M3
                      e30 M3 s52 swap
                      w203 C240 wagon (DD)

Comment

Here are some
                        Last edited by spyde25; 01-27-2016, 06:37 PM.
                        my 88 325i sedan

sigpic

Comment

That is an ASARS nose.

This is not. This is the weighted training nose, notice is smooth and flat, rather that having the two bumps on the sides.

Nice find, and I'm thrilled you did find it where you did simply because it wasn't shredded with the rest of the stuff in '07. This supports my theory that there are more parts hidden away and unknown. The program could still be restarted ;). An SR71 would be really handy based at Kadena right now. Booming North Korea would be a simple and effective show of presence and force, not to mention the fact that the recon would be invaluable.

Will
                          Last edited by BlackbirdM3; 04-26-2013, 10:43 PM.
                          '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                          '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                          '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                          '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post

That is an ASARS nose.

This is not. This is the weighted training nose, notice is smooth and flat, rather that having the two bumps on the sides.

Nice find, and I'm thrilled you did find it where you did simply because it wasn't shredded with the rest of the stuff in '07. This supports my theory that there are more parts hidden away and unknown. The program could still be restarted ;). An SR71 would be really handy based at Kadena right now. Booming North Korea would be a simple and effective show of presence and force, not to mention the fact that the recon would be invaluable.

Will
                            Correct on the ASARS nose. Was hard to find a good quality action shot of one. Would love to see them back in action but to political to make it happen
                            my 88 325i sedan

sigpic

Comment

I would send the photo to skunk works and see if they are interested in it.

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                                I would send the photo to skunk works and see if they are interested in it.
                                They know we have it

Shifty
                                my 88 325i sedan

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X