Official Aviation Thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
    Are they looking to rebuild Liberty Bell (again)? I've heard rumors of yes and no.

Will
    Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
    Since we are talking R4360s, I've got another one.
    Hawker Sea Fury Dreadnought. Built in the '80s, its been one of the most economical (if there is such a thing) air racers in history. Its not fast enough to win at Reno these days, but its fast enough to keep the front runners honest.

Will
    It's amazing how much more appealing the F2G racers are than there military brethren. The cowling being blended into the fuselage makes a huge difference ascetically.

The more I think about it, the more I'm a bit confused about the situation. The Liberty Foundation owns 3 B17's. There's the B-17G that was pulled out of the lake in Labrador, Canada. There's what remains of Liberty (not much), and then there's what we call the movie B17. Its the majority of a fuselage that was used for the interior filming of the movie "12 o'clock High".

Now I know there are two B17's sitting in their hanger. One is the Labrador 17. I believe the other plane is the movie fuselage which apparently is going to be turned into an F model. So perhaps the Labrador plane is going to become the new Liberty? I'll have to get that sorted out, but in the meantime, here are some pictures of them. (Oh, and none of these pictures are mine.)
    This is the movie 17 being pulled out of the "barn" it was in:

This is the Labrador plane in its relatively current state:

And the two of them together:

Why does that Sea Fury have an extended canopy like that? That can't be an aero benefit, could it?
    75' M42 Powered 2002
    AW 318is

Comment

Originally posted by MX339 View Post
      It's amazing how much more appealing the F2G racers are than there military brethren. The cowling being blended into the fuselage makes a huge difference ascetically.

The more I think about it, the more I'm a bit confused about the situation. The Liberty Foundation owns 3 B17's. There's the B-17G that was pulled out of the lake in Labrador, Canada. There's what remains of Liberty (not much), and then there's what we call the movie B17. Its the majority of a fuselage that was used for the interior filming of the movie "12 o'clock High".

Now I know there are two B17's sitting in their hanger. One is the Labrador 17. I believe the other plane is the movie fuselage which apparently is going to be turned into an F model. So perhaps the Labrador plane is going to become the new Liberty? I'll have to get that sorted out, but in the meantime, here are some pictures of them. (Oh, and none of these pictures are mine.)
      This is the movie 17 being pulled out of the "barn" it was in:

This is the Labrador plane in its relatively current state:

And the two of them together:

Why does that Sea Fury have an extended canopy like that? That can't be an aero benefit, could it?
      I'd so love to have the opportunity to restore warbirds as a living.

Dreadnought is a two seat Sea Fury, and the canopy is a cut down custom one. The normal two seat canopy is kinda strange looking.

Will
      '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
      '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
      '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
      '88 BMW M3

Comment

Together again, for the last time.

There is a video of the flight, but I can't watch it.

Here is a good write up on the building of Dreadnought. http://www.warbirdaeropress.com/arti...readnought.htm

Will
        '88 BMW M3

Comment

Sexy aircraft.

Heres a collection of my favorite aircraft.

Early model "sharktail" B17s are beautiful in my opinion. YB17/B17B/B17C/B17D
          The only one that still exists is in the smithsonian undergoing a long restoration. Its name is "The swoose". It was a franken-plane made from a shot up C and D model.

The A/B-26 invader is just a badass plane. Seved in WW2, Korea and Vietnam. On 3 occasions, A26s were credited with Mig kills.

Another one of my favorites. Aero Commander 500. Look up Bob Hoover. He used to do some insane deadstick aerobatics in these things.

The doctor killer. I want one anyway.

Favorite plane of all time is the P-38. Such a beautiful airplane.
          This one in particular is my favorite P-38. It was a air racer (white lighning), but it suffered a belly landing and was sold to redbull. They removed the turbochargers, fitted an early model oil cooler/intake scoop and returned its natural finish.
          = Heidi 1988 325 -> 335i. 7200rpm built M30

Comment

Originally posted by totheredline View Post
            Heres a collection of my favorite aircraft.

Early model "sharktail" B17s are beautiful in my opinion. YB17/B17B/B17C/B17D
            The only one that still exists is in the smithsonian undergoing a long restoration. Its name is "The swoose". It was a franken-plane made from a shot up C and D model.

The A/B-26 invader is just a badass plane. Seved in WW2, Korea and Vietnam. On 3 occasions, A26s were credited with Mig kills.

Another one of my favorites. Aero Commander 500. Look up Bob Hoover. He used to do some insane deadstick aerobatics in these things.

The doctor killer. I want one anyway.

Favorite plane of all time is the P-38. Such a beautiful airplane.
            This one in particular is my favorite P-38. It was a air racer (white lighning), but it suffered a belly landing and was sold to redbull. They removed the turbochargers, fitted an early model oil cooler/intake scoop and returned its natural finish.
            That is a good list. I don't think there are any remaining early B17s with that tail. The A26 is also one of my favorites, I've actually seen Bob Hoover do his routine in the Shrike (He also had a good one in his P-51 Old Yeller) I've also had the opportunity to meet him. The Beech Bonanza is also a great plane, I like the early ones more than the later ones. I also know Lefty Gardner's former P38 White Lightning. It suffered and engine failure and that is why it was bellied in by his son Lad. I think the Superchargers had been disconnected years earlier, I don't think it ever raced with them. I was glad to see Redbull spend the $ they did on the restoration, but I think they lost a major part of history when they failed to keep it as White Lightning. That was how it was best known, and its racing carear is far more historically important than its military history (I don't think it saw active duty) The restoration job is beautiful, but missing the planes real history.

Will
            '88 BMW M3

Comment

Turn it up, a most unique sound.

Will
              '88 BMW M3

Comment

Turn it up, this is what its like to ride along in a Reno Air Racing Unlimited P51
                By the way, the guy won.

Will
                '88 BMW M3

Comment

UH-60A/L Crewchief checking in :D

Got back from my first deployment last year figured I could post some picks in here.

I went to Iraq to close it down (got there OCT 2011 and left on 18 DEC 11 I was stationed at Al Taji, Iraq)

the "Special kids" as we called them

one of the CE's let me dry fire the minigun that was pretty awesome!

the "Widow makers" two very large unlit towers that were just off of one of our pads that we constantly flew too.

some other hawks landing over at the embassy

Lots of dirt/sand....

My child (95-26610)

Me
                  '91 318is w/ M50B25TU

Comment

Will this ones for you, though somehow I suspect you have already see this..................

Nicknamed "Air Race", the new Breitling commercial brings together one of the finest specimens of P-51 Mustang (specially prepared for Breitling), the…

Prolly one of the best commercials I have ever seen ;)
                    Originally posted by Fusion
                    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                    William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by Subtle View Post

My child (95-26610)

Riding in the cold Iron-Maiden I see. Not much room in there.

One of our last TF-39's. We are slated to start converting to CF6's for the M upgrade later this year. That was an oldworn out spare that we have been flying locals to Dover with.
                      https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                        THE best commercial I have ever seen!11!11!!!!11!!!11!!

FTFY

Now, back to our scheduled excessive airplane ramblings: I'm hoping one day we'll be able to build a bubble canopy P-40Q. These suckers are gorgeous. You may be familiar with them Will, since one of the prototypes competed in the 1947 Thompson Trophy race, and then proceeded to catch fire.

Here's Jean Zeigler's P-40Q in the 1947 TT race.

Also, the site I found the air race Q on is fantastic. All about the air races of 1947: http://www.airrace.com/1947%20NAR%20.html

I can't imagine what it must have been like in that time. You could go out and very easily find any cutting edge piston aircraft that the military no longer had any use for, for next to nothing in comparison to today's market. Then you went out and raced them on the deck.... Those are some fortunate SOBs.
                        75' M42 Powered 2002
                        AW 318is

Comment

The P40Q was a cool bird. Too bad there aren't any more. Might have been fast with a trimmed down canopy and a hot motor. I can't remember if it used a Merlin, or an Allison still.

I've seen the ad with the mustang and Corsair. Here is another good one.

Will
                          '88 BMW M3

Comment

I'm so glad I found this thread, actually majoring in Aviation Flight right now.

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                              Riding in the cold Iron-Maiden I see. Not much room in there.

One of our last TF-39's. We are slated to start converting to CF6's for the M upgrade later this year. That was an oldworn out spare that we have been flying locals to Dover with.
                              Yea with putting 3 hawks in the C17 all i could think was "how the hell do we get 3 more in here just by folding the tails..."

C5s can hold like what? 8? 9? Having all our gear and duffles palleted on the ramp was kind of creepy. and watching the chains go slack when we took off on the hawks wasnt so pleasing either. :eeek:
                              '91 318is w/ M50B25TU

Comment

Working...
                              X