Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question for all you computer nerds...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question for all you computer nerds...

I'm looking to upgrade the RAM in my laptop. I have an HP pavilion zd8000 which currently has 1 gig of ram (2 X 512) and I'd like to have 2 gigs (2 X 1). I have it narrowed down to these:

The question is: what do I want? PC4200 or PC5300? Any advantage of one over the other? Here's some info on my system:

Upgrade Memory for HP Pavilion zd8000 Laptop, Upgrade HP Pavilion zd8000 Memory, and all HP Memory Upgrades Specifications, Memory Configuration for Pavilion zd8000 Notebook

I have a 3.2 Ghz P4 if that changes anything. Thanks.

Fastest that will fit, IMO.

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by andyman2487 View Post
      The question is: what do I want? PC4200 or PC5300? Any advantage of one over the other?
      I'm out of the loop on computer shit. What is the difference between the two? What the hell does PC4200/PC5300 even mean?

Comment

Go with Crucial Memory.

This is what you want:

# Module Size: 2GB kit (1GBx2)
        # Package: 200-pin SODIMM
        # Feature: DDR2 PC2-4200
        # Specs: DDR2 PC2-4200 • CL=4 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-533 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 64
        tasty

Comment

Originally posted by andyman2487 View Post
          I'm out of the loop on computer shit. What is the difference between the two? What the hell does PC4200/PC5300 even mean?
          In layman's terms, its just the speed at which the ram interfaces with the system bus. Frequency (MHz) doesn't mean its better. If your laptop only supports PC4200, then 5300 will offer no increase in speed. You generally want the lowest latency (cas (CL)) that you can find, as this to a certain point, affects the system speed moreso than the frequency.

-Addis

Doing something M50 related? -> http://www.addissimo.com
          On Myspace? ->http://groups.myspace.com/r3vlimited
          BF2142 SN = BillyGoose

Comment

http://www.notebookreview.com/assets/3912.jpg
            Specs from the machine.

Comment

Like addisimo said. The memory is only going to operate as fast as the system is designed to read and write to it. So if you put faster ram in, the ram will operate slower than its capable of operating but will work. Buy the crucial ram like someone said above. Cheap ram = cheap degrading performance over time. And troubleshooting RAM issues sucks because its always the last thing it seems to be.

Comment

Working...
              X