Awesome, my paypal got scammed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome, my paypal got scammed

I caught it while it was going on this morning and was able to stop it at 5 transactions totaling a bit over $200. What a PITA. A voice over IP and Skype was purchased and I've opened claims and contacted both companies.

Anyone have any experience with this on Paypal and know if there is anything further I should do?

Of course, I changed my password and security questions (my password was already within the definitions of a "strong" password).

Hmm. Just called and she said I will 100% get the money back, one way or another. She also pointed me to a PayPal security key. Its a keychain thing (like a flash drive size I guess) that when the button is pressed, it shows a 6 digit code that must be typed in (within 5 seconds for the expiration time) to be able to log into the account. I just wonder if it is a key that is the same for everyone or something that is only for my account.

I think I'll get one. At $5 it couldn't hurt to try it out.

Comment

Just one more reason I will not use PayPal.

But hey man, when you get the flash thingie, post up the whole story on it, would you?

Bummer about your loss, hope it gets straightened out.

Luke

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Hey Chris, I have that security key thing. It'd for each person, as you register it with your account when you receive it. Each unit has it's own serial #, and generates a random 6-digit code every time you press the button. You can still log in without it, but you have to answer almost all the security questions.
        85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Ouchie. They took the money I paid you with! :puppy: Bastards!

Comment

That is EXACTLY what the transactions were when my paypal account was hacked last summer yanking $4k+ out of my personal account that was attached to paypal. Call them and your bank and lock everything down and start the process to rebut the transactions to get your money back. It takes about 7 days to get the money back and if you have any info on those companies to help them in the process it will be appreciated by them greatly.

Might want to change bank accounts in the process and start over with a new one just in case...

I think I am going to invest in one of those code things that rs4pro3 (:p) mentioned as well...

Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by netcsk View Post
              I caught it while it was going on this morning and was able to stop it at 5 transactions totaling a bit over $200. What a PITA. A voice over IP and Skype was purchased and I've opened claims and contacted both companies.

Anyone have any experience with this on Paypal and know if there is anything further I should do?

Of course, I changed my password and security questions (my password was already within the definitions of a "strong" password).
              Hmmm, I got nailed with the same exact scam. I filed a claim, and they refunded the money. I think I'm going to close my account when its all said and done.

OT: Anyone know if you can file claims for transactions done prior to closing an account after you close said account?
              If life passes you by... Downshift.

Comment

I have a RSA SecurID for work, I'm used to using it, I should get the paypal one too. I have many online financial accounts though and I don't see schwab or BofA doing this. Maybe it's worth it just because paypal is so much more a target of fraud.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions/comments guys. Can anyone tell me what the size of the key is? I'd much rather keep it in my wallet rather than my keychain.

Comment

it's too big for a wallet, mine is 2-3/8" long 1-1/8" wide and 7/16" thick. My dad has one of those RSA security things for his work and it's a lot smaller, it would be nice if paypal would switch to those.
                    85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

One thing that I did to protect myself from one of these mishaps was to change my account numbers after I registered. Then whenever I make a payment, I can choose an alternative form of backing. They have the "closed" account information on file which they think is still valid. Other than that I seldom let any amount of money beyond $100 sit in the account.

One thing that I find (which might not be the case here) is that people who get "hacked" use the same password for everything and/or get tricked by one of those phishing emails that tell you that there is a problem with your account and you should "log in" immediately.

Comment

I'm not stupid and don't click the phishing emails, ever, and my password was and still is unique to paypal.

Too bad the key is that large.

Comment

You cant just hack paypal. Social engineering is the reason why peoples shit gets raped.

As far as security, paypals worst enemy is not the hackers they try and exploit their weaknesses, but the employees that work inside with access to everyones accounts. The charges come through with legitimate stuff like Skype that almost anyone and everyone should or would subscribe too. Its a profession to exploit this stuff. Sorry Chris.
                          But thats probably the reason why Paypal was so eager to refund you. Its happened to me too, and they took money out of an account thats not even linked to my Paypal. Think about that one ;)

Comment

my password is two different foreign languages, several capital letters and numbers also.

But also easy to memorize for me.
                            R.I.P 07/01/09 - 04/23/10 :(

Comment

Yea, happened to me too this week. I'm suspecting a virus - but can't be sure on that. They also refunded my money no questions asked. But I did put a lock/hold on my checking linked to it just in case.
                              Originally posted by Matt-B
                              hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Working...
                              X