Help me choose a good starter bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me choose a good starter bike

Well, in a short time I will be given the privilege of being able to drive for 12 hours a day. I have to have a "statement of financial responsibility" (SR-22) to get a license; which simply means I have to have insurance. I am going to be using a motorcycle as my primary mode of transportation for financial reasons. I've always wanted to have a motorcycle, but now I just need to have one.

So anyways, I'm a noob to motorcycles. I've driven a few of my friend's dirt bikes on a number of different occasions so I can handle one okay, but I have never driven one on the street. I know I'll need to get endorsed and learn how to ride safely among all of the stupid drivers.

So I am wondering what you would recommend for a good first bike. I obviously don't need anything all that powerful. I think a 600cc would be the most I would need to start out with. I was thinking of a small displacement sport bike, or possibly a dual sport. It is going to have to be somewhat old as my budget would be 3-4k.

What do you think?

Kawasaki Ninja 250R. Can be had for reasonable prices used, lightweight, durable, reliable, went virtually unchanged for almost two decades (parts availability/interchangeability). New generation examples (08'+) are aesthetically pleasing, but be prepared to pay a premium for them (over 5k in some markets after mark-ups).

I have seen this happen many times before, but don't make the mistake of assuming a 600cc is an ideal beginner platform.

Just my , ultimately you'll have to put your man pants on and make a decision for yourself. If the Ninja 250 interests you, then look at the following site/community:

(Note: you may want to check out the "New Riders" section)

Good luck.

Comment

[quote=TwoJ's;1153501]So I am wondering what you would recommend for a good first bike. There are no good first bikes. They are all murdercycles. Get a good convertible. You'll have four wheels under you, heat and AC, and a top for protection from the weather.

1991 325ic and 1991 318is

Comment

Get a 250 or a 400 at first. Learn to ride first, then buy something that can turn you into hamburger.
        McCain's military draft: Are you willing to bet your life?

Comment

Smaller displacement " sport bike " Suzuki SV650 ( not really a sport bike but for a beginner this is better )

Dual Sport, Suzuki DRZ400SM

Comment

Hyosung Comet either the 250 or the 650, fairly cheap and you don't see many of them around. The 650's engine is Suzuki design, similar to the SV650.

I got a chance to ride one of their 450cc 4-wheelers and was very impressed.

Pinepig, Dual Sports/Enduros are a good suggestion, cause you could learn with them off-road until your comfortable enough to take the streets.

Comment

Scooter lol
              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

GN250 - sweet commuter bike - cheap, economical and easy to ride

EDIT, had a look and maybe suzuki dont sell them stateside. my bad.

Comment

Buell Blast?

I tried getting a bike once, a Gixxer to save money, but insurance was so much it wasn't worth it just to save on some gas. Plus I wanted some crazy cool helmet that cost more than my E30.
                  sigpic

Comment

Torque makes a bike more tractable.

V-twins make a torquier motor.

V twins also generally have a lower center of gravity.

All of the above make Vtwins easier to ride.

I fucking HATE V-Twins, but buy a shit bike for now, then get something decent later, after you either: 1. don't die or 2. Like riding enough to continue to ride.

Closing SOON!
                    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

sr22+motorcycle does not equal cheap insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie30
                        There are no good first bikes. They are all murdercycles. Get a good convertible. You'll have four wheels under you, heat and AC, and a top for protection from the weather.

Dethklok rides murdercycles, get one of those...
                        Originally posted by george graves

Are you kidding me? That nerd doesn't even know how his dick works, let alone a car.

Comment

buy a 500 dollar car and save for insurance. you will need lots of money, driving drunk is costly when you get caught.

Comment

I didn't drive drunk. I thought I was doing the smart thing by sleeping it off in my truck.

As seen here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ighlight=drunk

Anyways, I was busy all day. I'll take a look at some of the bikes you guys suggested. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray McCooney View Post
                              Kawasaki Ninja 250R. Can be had for reasonable prices used, lightweight, durable, reliable, went virtually unchanged for almost two decades (parts availability/interchangeability). New generation examples (08'+) are aesthetically pleasing, but be prepared to pay a premium for them (over 5k in some markets after mark-ups).

I have seen this happen many times before, but don't make the mistake of assuming a 600cc is an ideal beginner platform.

Just my , ultimately you'll have to put your man pants on and make a decision for yourself. If the Ninja 250 interests you, then look at the following site/community:

(Note: you may want to check out the "New Riders" section)

Good luck.

That's a good site. I'm not sure if a 250 will be underpowered or not though, I have handled a 450 on the trails pretty well. I guess I'd have to drive one. But there is a lot of other good info on there in the section you suggested. Thanks.

Originally posted by Pinepig View Post
                              Smaller displacement " sport bike " Suzuki SV650 ( not really a sport bike but for a beginner this is better )

Dual Sport, Suzuki DRZ400SM
                              That SV650 looks like a really cool bike, and seems to have good reviews. I really like the look of "naked" bikes. Seems like the less plastic the better to me.

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                              Torque makes a bike more tractable.

V-twins make a torquier motor.

V twins also generally have a lower center of gravity.

All of the above make Vtwins easier to ride.

I fucking HATE V-Twins, but buy a shit bike for now, then get something decent later, after you either: 1. don't die or 2. Like riding enough to continue to ride.
                              Why is it that you hate V-twins? Don't rev high enough for you? Do you have a bike?

Originally posted by smonkbmw View Post
                              sr22+motorcycle does not equal cheap insurance.
                              Yeah, I do realize that it still won't be cheap for me to get insurance. However, for some reason they require an ignition interlock device if I want to get my occupational license. I talked to someone, and it seems that there is an exception for this if you primarily drive a motorcycle. Since those devices can cost around $2000 a year, and insurance will be cheaper for a motorcycle than a car, it seems like a good solution for the time being. Plus, I refuse to pay $3000+ a year for basic liability on a standard e30.

Now that I've done a tiny bit of looking, the Ninja 250R does seem like a good bike to start on. I'm also intrigued by the Buell Blast, so I'll have to look in to them more. Does anyone have any thoughts for me about them?

Also, it seems that a decent low mileage beginner bike will be cheaper than I originally anticipated. That'll make it easier to afford insurance and some proper gear and the MSF course and whatever else is needed. Thanks for the help everyone.

EDIT: And one last question: Where should I look for used motorcycles? I tried cycletrader.com, but there really aren't many of the bikes I'm looking at on there that are near me.

Comment

Working...
                              X