computer advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

computer advice

looking to upgrade my video card in my PC, i think i have a built in one to the motherboard, basically i want something up to todays standards, it doesnt need to be super capable, im not playing to many hardcore games like crysis, but id like to get better resolution, definately DVI capable, and if possible has some TV output or something. I already have a tuner so it doesnt need that, but i was looking around on newegg, no idea what im looking for, looking in the < 75 dollar range. Thanks

motherboard info if it helps:
    -5 PCI slots, 32 bit
    -1 AGP slot supports AGP 2.0 and 3.0 for 4x and 8x mode

(outta motherboard manual)
    1991 318is ---230K - DD
    1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
    so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Just go to Best Buy and look at all of the AGP cards they offer, and buy the one that has the most on-board memory and good-looking features (like dx10 support, and good name brand). AGP is an older technology, so there won't be too many options.

Or you could buy online and do some research first on good AGP cards.

Comment

www.newegg.com just get a nvidia 8600gt or better if possible.
      Rollin' with a Geistkuchen

Comment

Not much left in an AGP card. Look at the Nvidia 7600 GS line, it's pretty good.

-Charlie
        Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
        '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
        FYYFF

Comment

I'll be the bad guy and suggest something different. Sell your current CPU/mobo/memory and make the switch to c2d and pci-e video card. That will be money much better spent. Watch for combos on newegg. Personally I'd stay away from bestbuy for parts as they are overpriced. If you'll post up what your current setup I'll help price something for you.

Comment

I have a retail 8x AGP PNY 7600GS OC 512mb that is collecting dust in my closet.

I used it for 2 months then my agp MB died. I upgrade to a Core 2 duo 8800GT system and haven't looked back. It's verified tested and working on a different MB.

I still have the retail box and everything that came with it. I ran it at 515/900 for the short time I used it. It ran cool and 100% stable. Crysis was the only thing it couldn't handle with my AMD 3200+.

$50 shipped and it's yours.

PM me if you're interested.
            | Jimmy | 1999 M3 | 1986 325 ES |

Comment

best buy= no
              just go on newegg, and filter PCI only it'll bring you up then click lowest to highest price. find one with 256mb of vram and you'll be good, all in all you'll spend around 60$ with shipping.

86 528e b25
              00 528i
              95 525iT
              88 325is m52
              86 325es m50

Comment

Originally posted by cokeisgood00 View Post
                best buy= no
                just go on newegg, and filter PCI only it'll bring you up then click lowest to highest price. find one with 256mb of vram and you'll be good, all in all you'll spend around 60$ with shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150270
                uhhh, no. A PCI card isn't going to be any faster than the onboard crap he has now.

AGP is extinct

PCI is archaic.

Either postpone an upgrade and buy an 8x agp card or do the smart thing and upgrade to a pci-e system.
                Last edited by //MPower; 09-08-2008, 07:16 PM.
                | Jimmy | 1999 M3 | 1986 325 ES |

Comment

post below
                  1991 318is ---230K - DD

Comment

what would you suggest for a cheap(er) motherboard video card combo. motherboard is only like 3 years old, didnt think it was that extinct but whatever. ill be saving for a newer setup apparently.
                    1991 318is ---230K - DD

Comment

If looking to upgrade your mobo, get one with a pci-e x16 2.0. Its the latest tech.

Comment

PCI is still worthy. And can be had for cheap.

Obviously anything he buys will be an upgrade from onboard video so at least get something with a DVI input.

Comment

Originally posted by scabzzzz View Post

Obviously anything he buys will be an upgrade from onboard video so at least get something with a DVI input.
                          This has got to be a joke?
                          tasty

Comment

pci is close to extinction.

Comment

Originally posted by scabzzzz View Post

You wont be finding anything PCI with DVI afaik, i'm pretty sure processing digital signals requires hardware acceleration, which PCI cards don't have the bandwidth to do.
                              Who doesn't love a little BBQ?
                              Griot's Garage at a Deep Discount

Comment

Working...
                              X