Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Students and the Financial Crisis; Worried?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Students and the Financial Crisis; Worried?

Any students worried about how the financial crisis is going to affect them?

I moved out of my parents house after high school, and live mostly off of grants scholarships, and whatever part time work I can squeeze in.

When Arnold was late for signing the budget one of my grants had been delayed. I'm worried more things like this will happen. Award amounts lessened, amount of people receiving them I'm wondering if any other students are worried about their future and the likelihood they will be able to finish. What plans do you have to stay in school since loans, credit, and other ways to finance schooling will possibly become more and more difficult. I'm in the process of transferring and I am so worried about how I will pay for classes, textbooks, where I'm going to live, how I will eat, etc.

I've begun biking to school which is 50 miles/week to save money on gas and the parking permit.

As a sidenote, of all the things the Governor cut/suspended, why did he not suspend or divert the Lottery funds? That's a good chunk of change I'd think.

'90 325i

Comment

I'm taking out loans from Sallie Mae and its crazy how easy it was to get money a year ago and how hard it is now to get money. Luckily I have a year half left of school.
      1985 BMW 325e
      1997 BMW M3/4/5
      2007 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 v8

Comment

i work full time and pay cash for school where the scholarships leave off. i can get loans crazy easy for me through the credit union still if the need arose...

Comment

You probably don't want to go down this road, but several decades ago I swallowed my pride and borrowed $5K from my dad during my last year of college. Paid it back in a lump sum a few months after graduation. Would not have been my first choice, but got the job done. If you do this, pay the family loan back FIRST before all your other debts.

IMHO, do not even think about using credit card debt to fund your education. Lots of people do this, and it ends badly.
          "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

Comment

^^ that would be a good option, unfortunately my family doesn't have money to loan to me.

I have an account at a CU, but does that automatically make it easier for me to get a loan from them? I tried working while going to school, its very tough and I commend you for being able to do that, but it had such a negative affect on my GPA I just had to buckle down. Now I'm doing a federal work-study program, and I'm worried it won't be available next year, or who knows it'll might get cut off mid way this year..

Do you guys think it'll worsen to the point where people will have to drop out of school and scavenge for work?

Comment

Originally posted by red View Post
              ^^ that would be a good option, unfortunately my family doesn't have money to loan to me.

I have an account at a CU, but does that automatically make it easier for me to get a loan from them? I tried working while going to school, its very tough and I commend you for being able to do that, but it had such a negative affect on my GPA I just had to buckle down. Now I'm doing a federal work-study program, and I'm worried it won't be available next year, or who knows it'll might get cut off mid way this year..

Do you guys think it'll worsen to the point where people will have to drop out of school and scavenge for work?
              Its better to broke and with a degree than being broke and no degree, especially in these times. Scrape by, do hj's and zj's under a bridge if you have to.
              1985 BMW 325e
              1997 BMW M3/4/5
              2007 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 v8

Comment

Originally posted by e30e View Post
                Its better to broke and with a degree than being broke and no degree, especially in these times. Scrape by, do hj's and zj's under a bridge if you have to.
                Haha did you watch Beerfest on HBO tonight also?

Comment

Working...
                X