Looks like we are past the Global Warming thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rwh11385 View Post
    The only continent with lots of babies is Africa... because of violence and AIDS.

How does aids and violence cause lots of babies?
    I don't see the connection--care to fill me in?
    Originally posted by accident
    I have achieved the title of Douche of the month.
    Discuss.
    Originally posted by kronus
    It was probably pissed off because it didn't want to pay taxes for poor people's healthcare.
    1990 300ZX TT 5spd ($6,000)
    1991 318i 4dr 5spd (DD)

Comment

Originally posted by pbr87 View Post

How does aids and violence cause lots of babies?
      I don't see the connection--care to fill me in?
      Ugh.

People still have to make lots of babies because many die of malnutrition, or their offspring die from war or AIDs. In order to have a "legacy", people need to start with more kids.

In developed nations, people can have pretty good odds of their family tree continuing with just 2 children.

Comment

Originally posted by rwh11385 View Post
        Sorry Hallen, I usually agree with you... but you are wrong here. As nations develop, their family sizes decrease. The only continent with lots of babies is Africa... because of violence and AIDS.

Look @ 4:30, as life expectancy increases, family size decreases:
        http://www.gapminder.org/videos/ted-...e-third-world/
        That is very true but not my point. What we did was artificially increased child survival rates by introducing modern medicine into undeveloped nations. Their cultures didn't adapted to modern development as quickly as the increase in survival rates. So they continued to grow in population quickly. The US and other western nations had more time to adapt to the changes because the medical advances took place over time, not all at once. I think the data shown in that video supports this idea. As the dots moved, they generally moved up first indicating longer life before they moved left indicating smaller families. I could be wrong, but that is what it looks like to me.
        1987 E30 325is
        1999 E46 323i
        RIP 1994 E32 740iL
        oo=[][]=oo

Comment

They still have huge families because culturally, they think they have to.
          But they don't. Maybe they had a short stint, if that... but cultures which are experiencing income growth are adapting towards us. Fewer children, more similar housing... and even pets, if their middle class status allows.

There are more videos about infant mortality rate, and even data available to play with yourself... but third world countries are becoming more and more like us.

Comment

Working...
          X