should i buy a bargain E30 convertible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

should i buy a bargain E30 convertible?

I’ve been tempted to pop on a craigslist convertible E30... like a 1300 dollar car for a while ..... to pop or not to ?

Also E46’s show up in that price range sometimes.... what would be more reliable? E30 or E46

Can't answer for the E46...

But cheap verts - proceed with caution.

The good:
    As you know, most, if not all of the running gear is good 'ol E30 so parts are plentiful & well priced.

The bad:
    The downside of a vert is due to having a fabric roof there are other expenses you're likely to encounter compared to 'tin-top' E30s.
    Pay particular attention to the roof / window and if it needs replacement.
    If it leaks, likely there's water damage elsewhere.
    Also, because of top-down or leaks, I've noticed vert interiors are more beat-up than usual - so budget for that.

The ugly:
    Vert specific parts seals, rubbers, trim can be expensive new or NLA.
    Used vert specific parts can also be pricier due to limited availability.

If you're looking for a fun beater that runs well & you can drop the top & add a few performance parts - sweet!

But if you're looking for a low cost entry point to restore a car to it's original glory...
    The end cost may be higher than starting with a more expensive (and better) car to begin with.
    But hey, you had more fun along the way - right?

E30 320i vert
    But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Comment

Originally posted by 7800-RPM View Post
      I’ve been tempted to pop on a craigslist convertible E30... like a 1300 dollar car for a while ..... to pop or not to ?

Also E46’s show up in that price range sometimes.... what would be more reliable? E30 or E46
      Post up what you are looking at and I am sure we can advise.

'Tzantushka' (above) posted accurate advice. Like with any car, there is good, relatively easy work you can do over time, and then there is difficult, more deal-breaker work. Besides mechanicals and engine bay which will be basically the same, new vert specific seals can be pricey or super hard to get. The way the windows meet up and seal with the top can be a trick to get right if you are inheriting a car at this age that has a history, so that takes some tinkering. The trunk lid on a vert could be leaking due to the crappy design of the third brake light. A convertible will twist more than the other cars and definitely benefits from cross bracing. It's also heavier; it will feel a little less sporty. Most interiors will be toast compared to their coupe/sedan brethren. But redoing an interior is a fun (but $$) project if you wanted to keep it for the long haul.

Buy a convertible only if you forsee yourself really making use out of the convertible feature. I am someone who drives this with a hardtop on basically 100% of the time, and while I love my car, I really should just be driving a coupe!
      1990 BMW 325iC Triple Black Hard Top, Self-Wrenched, Original Owner Family

Comment

If you like motoring with the top down, get a cabrio. If you’re just trying to get something cheap, get a coupe for slightly more money. I love my cabrio, but to each his own.
        Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
        1992 325ic white, stock with a 5-speed swap
        Palm Beach County

Comment

I am a vert guy, more by chance, Id prefer to have a hard top to daily. Its also important to note, that there are a lot of vert specific parts. Most of the interior is vert specific, fenders are vert specific, rear A arms, have disk brakes, were up to some point hard top cars had drums, and eventually got disk brakes. They are fun, they are slower, have way more flex, but the drive line is essentially the same so the reliability is there. If the motor/trans is in good shape, and you want a fun summer car its a good deal. It will likely need suspension work to be more fun, IE all the rubber bits that wear out.

Comment

The good thing about e30's is most have a manual convertible top. It's also relatively easy to convert a e30 top to manual. E46's use a hydraulic pump to raise/ lower the top.. I don't really know how often they break, but I'm certain it'll be hundreds of dollars in parts to fix if it ever does.

The downside.. I don't want to say all do but e30 convertibles leak water due to worn convertible top seals, and they cost a fortune to replace. Even if the top is new.. Did they replace all the seals? Probably none. Every e30 convertible I owned leaked water. My Dad on the other hand got lucky and most of his did not.. We've had a few in our time, I'd say the e30 is a great choice. They also seem to have less "cowl" shack compared to the e46's also.

I'd say go for the e30. I've owned 3x e46's but none were convertibles. Good cars but before you even consider driving a e46 it should have the cooling system rebuilt.. I'm sure it'll also need control arm bushings, many other e46 problems.
            Last edited by KIRIEIW; 05-21-2020, 06:53 AM.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
            1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
            1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
            1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
            1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
            1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
            Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
            1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
            1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

An E46 was my first BMW. I put over $11k into that car fixing it, on top of paying $6.5k for it.

I got my E30 convertible for $1k and I've put about $500 into it. I'd take an E30 any day over an E46 if you're looking for cheaper/less hassle.

E30 is also a lot easier to work on and has less parts/systems to break.
              Instagram
              Build Thread

F87 2020 M2 Competition Coupe Long Beach Blue/Black w/Blue Stitching
              F22 2014 M235i Coupe Estoril Blue/Black (Sold)
              E46 2003 325xi Sedan Jet Black/Natural Brown Leather
              E30 1989 325i Vert Bronzitbeige Metallic/Natural
              E30 1986 325es Coupe Alpine White/Pearl Beige

Comment

Originally posted by Patrisha
                Gram w gry online od dłuższego czasu i oczywiście dużo o nich wiem. Teraz ja gram uważam, że gra jest wystarczająco dobra. Czy jest ktoś, kto w to grał? A może jest ktoś, kto może polecić takie gry? Za każdym razem coraz trudniej jest znaleźć grę, a ja lubię grać w kilka na raz.
                Gunter Glieben Glauten Globen
                Say what? Spam much?
                R135 /// 1990 Alpinweiß II 325is
                └┼┼┘ /// 1993 Black/Black Convertible (sold)

Comment

Working...
                X