No announcement yet.

Want to buy a digital SLR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im tempted to whore my a300 pics. But its just the most recent ones on my Flickr. Im pretty sure all of them are the kit lens with no filters

Comment

Originally posted by dinanm3atl View Post
      I would recommend a used 30D over the 3 you listed. More robust, faster controls, better controls and more features.

My personal opinion is to skip the 'entry level' line and buy used in the Prosumer line up.
      Ive set 2 friends up with used 30d's and EF-S 17-85's for under $700, they couldnt be happier and are now looking to step up to old 5d's.. I always recommend the 20d/30d to newcomers.

I still have my 20d sittin in the pelican for a back up, though the 5d mark I may be moving into that slot, thinking about upgrading the work horse to a mark II but dont want the giant RAW files...

I shoot everyday at work and can honestly say that it really doesnt matter which brand you go with, just get something in your budget and learn how to use it. If you keep the mind set that the camera is just a tool and the better you know how to use it and understand light, the more fun your gonna have.

Comment

Hi,

Not long ago I was looking for a DSLR, I had the D40 on my mind and a similar budget as the one mentioned in this thread.

However, as mentioned on this thread previously I prefered a much recent model and to pay a little bit more. So, I bought the D5000, it has the same sensor as the more expensive D90 and can record video in HD (720p) format. I can't wait for the next track day in my country to set it up as on board camera on my E30!

I got the 2 lens kit from ritzcamera, 2 AFS VR: 18-55 and 55-200. Black Friday is around the corner, so prices could drop a bit.

If you want to get more details I recommed this site for camera reviews (aside from dpreview which also has good reviews): http://www.kenrockwell.com/

I can't wait for my Nikon to arrive, hehe...

Good luck...
        e30 diamantschwarz 325i
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyrmanj/

Comment

Originally posted by cyrmanj View Post
          Hi,

Not long ago I was looking for a DSLR, I had the D40 on my mind and a similar budget as the one mentioned in this thread.

However, as mentioned on this thread previously I prefered a much recent model and to pay a little bit more. So, I bought the D5000, it has the same sensor as the more expensive D90 and can record video in HD (720p) format. I can't wait for the next track day in my country to set it up as on board camera on my E30!

I got the 2 lens kit from ritzcamera, 2 AFS VR: 18-55 and 55-200. Black Friday is around the corner, so prices could drop a bit.

If you want to get more details I recommed this site for camera reviews (aside from dpreview which also has good reviews): http://www.kenrockwell.com/

I can't wait for my Nikon to arrive, hehe...

Good luck...
          Uh oh, Ritz/Wolf and Kenrockwell are all 4 letter words in the photography industry lol!

AUTOMOTIVE PHOTOGRAPHY │ JASONTBARKER.COM

Comment

Originally posted by speedminded View Post
            Kenrockwell
            What I do like about Ken Rockwell is his thorough reviews of lenses and gear. I think when he goes over technical differences between models and which items have what features he breaks it down pretty simply and accurately. Sure he always ends it with a I only use my d40 and sb400 and that's all you should too... but if you ignore that he does go over products pretty well. IE which flashes work well with what bodies and what bodies have to offer.
            Originally posted by z31maniac
            I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

Originally posted by 87e30 View Post
              What I do like about Ken Rockwell is his thorough reviews of lenses and gear. I think when he goes over technical differences between models and which items have what features he breaks it down pretty simply and accurately. Sure he always ends it with a I only use my d40 and sb400 and that's all you should too... but if you ignore that he does go over products pretty well. IE which flashes work well with what bodies and what bodies have to offer.
              I've never really had an issue with anything he has said or done, it's just funny if anyone mentions his name on a photography forum all hell breaks loose lol!

Comment

Originally posted by speedminded View Post
                I've never really had an issue with anything he has said or done, it's just funny if anyone mentions his name on a photography forum all hell breaks loose lol!
                It's true. Everyone seems to despise him. I think a lot of people just jump onto the bandwagon. The ways of the internet.
                Originally posted by z31maniac
                I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

Originally posted by 87e30 View Post
                  It's true. Everyone seems to despise him. I think a lot of people just jump onto the bandwagon. The ways of the internet.
                  i think he alone has gotten more people to buy a d40 than anyone else in the world, even after the d40x, d60, and d3000 have been released, which improve in every single way over the d40 while maintaining the same form factor. That isn't really a big deal, except it seems like everyone who is about to buy a new dSLR and decides on nikon comes really close to buying a brand new d40 for $550 or whatever instead of getting the newest model for the exact same price, simply because "its the best starter camera evarrr" (direct quote from Rockwell).
                  http://instagram.com/dslovn.drives

Comment

I'm not too much into the 'photography world,' or the 'photography culture'... So, this is the first time I've heard of that guy and his stuff.

He definitely strikes me as one of those that is really 'into it' - the culture, the research, the who-knows-who, the networking, getting-out there... And he seems good at all that. But his work is crap, and his site is among the poorest I've seen...

Some reason, and hopefully it's not just me, but I find a lot of photographers seriously lacking in design ability? Like, you can take amazing pictures, and make them even more amazing in post... But, then you plaster a big, high-schooler logo on the bottom of it (or even across it - ick!)... And you stick it on the ugliest webpage you can find...

Of course, that's not all... But, seems to be the majority. :(
                    DD - 1986 325ES w/M20B25 swap, 4.10 LSD
                    DD - 1998 R1
                    Rest In Pieces - 2000 A4 1.8TQM

Comment

Originally posted by Pscheoverdrive View Post
                      But, then you plaster a big, high-schooler logo on the bottom of it (or even across it - ick!)... And you stick it on the ugliest webpage you can find...

Of course, that's not all... But, seems to be the majority. :(
                      the whole point of that is that it is intrusive enough to where you can't crop it out and claim it as your own photo, and if you do want to use the photo (for a product or something), you pay the person for permission to use it.
                      http://instagram.com/dslovn.drives

Comment

Originally posted by daniel View Post
                        the whole point of that is that it is intrusive enough to where you can't crop it out and claim it as your own photo, and if you do want to use the photo (for a product or something), you pay the person for permission to use it.
                        Yes and no. Some do it to jump on the bandwagon of having "photography" behind their name, only because they see others do it. Either way it's a must if you want to protect your work even though it's not required since photos are automatically copyrighted material the second the shutter button is clicked. I'm currently pursuing a popular BMW forum vendor for stealing a photo of mine and removing the watermark and using it on their commercial website...

Comment

I can understand the 'protect your work' thing to some degree... But that still is no excuse for a poor logo. What about those that leave their logos on a black strip under the photo? I think that's kinda besides the point.

@ Jason... Go get 'em!! Make 'em give you some free parts!
                          DD - 1986 325ES w/M20B25 swap, 4.10 LSD
                          DD - 1998 R1
                          Rest In Pieces - 2000 A4 1.8TQM

Comment

Originally posted by Pscheoverdrive View Post
                            I can understand the 'protect your work' thing to some degree... But that still is no excuse for a poor logo. What about those that leave their logos on a black strip under the photo? I think that's kinda besides the point.

@ Jason... Go get 'em!! Make 'em give you some free parts!
                            Logo's are branding and some brands are simply marketed better than others...not all people playing photographer are capable of playing graphic artist anyways. I'm about to hire a graphic artist to design me a photo template and logo, mine is just too boring to me even though I like clean and simple.

If I wasn't looking to buy parts from them I would have never seen it. It will be interesting to see how it plays out :strikesgavel:

Comment

Working...
                            X