Video Editing!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video Editing!?

We figured that we'd bring this to the E30 community first to try and keep it in the family! :)

We just started up a YouTube channel for our '89 Spec E30 track car (the STIG) and we'll need help editing video from our track days. We'd love to show our progression from beginner mode to eventually race up to the summit of Pikes Peak. Video style would be similar to DriftIdiot . Any fellow E30ers interested in helping us?

Last edited by Sirdaft1; 09-30-2013, 07:07 PM. Reason: Speling erors
    2007 Big Twin Turbo 335i + 1989 E30 Track Car

I may be game to help out as long as you can figure out an easy way to get footage over to my end. Im pretty familiar with Adobe Premiere and a little bit of After Effects. Both self taught.

I've been meaning to take on a project so I can brush up on a few things.
    I don't even own this car anymore, but I'm too lazy to change the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by spike68 View Post
      I may be game to help out as long as you can figure out an easy way to get footage over to my end. Im pretty familiar with Adobe Premiere and a little bit of After Effects. Both self taught.

I've been meaning to take on a project so I can brush up on a few things.
      Rock on, that would be epic! Perhaps DropBox? Otherwise it might be a PITA but we could snailmail SD cards.

And counting down the days until this next track day. Two weeks out. Working on lining up some GoPros. And I'm planning on shooting footage of her before then.

Comment

I guess we will have to do with whatever way is easier. Im sure Dropbox will work. Depending on how much footage youre wanting to send over it may take some time since there is a limited amount of space on each account. Either way we'll work it out.

What kind of equipment are you using?
        Also any particular turnaround time?

And what part of Chicago are you in?
        I was actually born and raised there until I hit high school.

Comment

We're out in the west burbs, live near Schaumburg and work in Wheaton. Where were you at in Chi?

And I shoot with a Canon 600D (T3i) w/ a few lenses (1.8 50mm, 10-22mm, 18-55mm), video tripod (can't remember the brand), Steadicam and a few other toys. I typically shoot photography so video is new(er) for me. Do you have a setup?

Comment

Ahh Ive heard of that area. I think I have a friend whose towards that way now.
            I was over near Oak Lawn back in the day. Loved that place. Calm enough, but not to far from downtown. I have many memories that still remain there.

I actually have the same camera lol. I used to have a few lenses, but I lost them in the trade from switching from a d5100 to the t3i, so I currently only have the stock lens and a 50mm. I also did a lot of photog stuff, but I really loved doing video more than anything. I have a bunch of home built equipment. Steadicam, jib, slider, dolly and handcam. I also have one GoPro, but I dont use it as much as I should. I also have a servo for my jib.

Here is a recent video I did of my own car using said equipment.

Comment

^^^ SO legit!

Was that shot all with the DIY Steadicam or did you use the slider/jib? And how did you dial in the right exposure? And I'm assuming it was mostly shot with the 18-55 except for the parts you used the follow focus? Great music choice as well!

Comment

Forgot to mention I have this whole setup as well... Just haven't used it...

The following post is a guest post from James Evins– an automotive photographer from Houston.  Hi! My name is James Evins, and I am going...

Comment

I AM JEALOUS of that rig. So neat.

In that video i used mostly the jib and slider for the still car shots and the handicam (pretty much just a handle attachment I thought up using a bike holder you mount in your garage) for rolling shots. I really want to use the steadicam again, but it needs some improvements with balance and whatnot. its been out of commission, but the handicam works pretty well, but is still a tad shaky. I have software to help that though.

As far as dialing down exposure, I go by what "looks good". I use that loosely. I also follow the exposure meter when shooting. I either keep in perfectly balanced, or a tad underexposed. Underexposure is better than overex. You lose lots of detail with overex. If its underex you can simply fix it in post. I balance a lot of the exposures out in post after editing. I also apply software filters so the colors dont look flat and they also give a more cinematic look.

And follow focus. The "focus in" shots was just me turning the focus ring lol. And shots with lots of dynamic movement, I just measure the shot beforehand and mess with the aperture size to increase my range without falling out of focus.

Comment

Working...
                  X