My beginners photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My beginners photography

Hey guys I just wanted to post some pictures I've been taking of my car to see if anyone has comments or criticism for me. I feel as if there is something missing from my pictures. I'm using a Nikon D3100 with the kit lens that's a Nikon Dx 18-55mm. And I did some basic edits in Lightroom. I've definitely made a few positive strides since starting so I'll start with my older shots and work to the newer ones.

The silver e30 is mine. The mustang is my friends and the Skyline was at a car show.

DSC_0385 by nreichart12, on Flickr

DSC_0393-1 by nreichart12, on Flickr

DSC_0412-2 by nreichart12, on Flickr

DSC_0433-2 by nreichart12, on Flickr

DSC_0420-1 by nreichart12, on Flickr

DSC_0489-3 by nreichart12, on Flickr

DSC_0544-1 by nreichart12, on Flickr

DSC_0574-2 by nreichart12, on Flickr

DSC_0580-1 by nreichart12, on Flickr

Instagram: Reichart12

nice start
    95 7.1L 16V E36 M3
    Motorsport Hardware ***Wheel studs and Spacers!!!--->FOR SALE 4/5 Lug Stud Conversion Kits available CLICK HERE
    LIKE my Facebook Page! CLICK HERE

Comment

Looks good so far! Practice makes perfect so just keep shooting, only way to improve.

Comment

Nice! I'm in the same position as you. Rocking the D3100/18-55 too. I'm looking at picking up a 35mm f/1.8 here soon. You might like that lens too.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
        Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Thanks everyone! I will definitely be practicing more by shooting as much as I can. I'm trying to find neat local sites to go to.

And as far as upgrading lens, I don't see any coming this summer. I need to find a job before those purchases start coming lol.

Comment

looks like you have an eye for what makes a good shot, and having the eye is the hard part.
            just shoot and have fun, you'll learn as you go. you don't NEED to upgrade lenses, especially if its a hobby.
            and even if you were, the kit lenses do their job if you hit the settings right.
            don't tell em, but I shot for bimmer mag in February using that same 18-55 lol:up:
            sigpic
            @joshua.j.rizo

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf
            Just remember next time you hear "late night when you need my love" I'm gonna be sitting somewhere way more bitchin' than you, driving or not.

BUY MY BUGATTI WHEELS:
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=377693

WRITEUP TO MY RHD SWAP:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371904

Comment

Thanks man, it feels good to hear that. Id really like to see that shot if you have it posted up somewhere.

I just got done taking a bunch of pictures and I think the hardest part is deciding which shots to make the cut to be edited lol. Hopefully I'll get 2-3 more up here in the next day.

Comment

if you bump saturation ensure that you have correct white balance. (I'm looking at that skyline photo, brah)

Also, get yourself a polarizer. it's a must for shooting anything with a windshield.

edit:
                and regards to contrast, don't go overboard. I know you think it makes the photo look better, but check this out: http://blog.drivetoescape.com/2009/0...better-photos/

Shoot on manual as much as you can, you'll learn much quicker. If you aren't doing anything that is crucial to get right the first time, you can practice this way.

Your best photo is by far #5
                Last edited by Jaxx_; 06-07-2014, 08:24 PM.
                '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

#5 great composition. - Great job, I feel like every time I go out and shoot I improve my knowledge. Keep practicing.

Great job!
                  Follow my IG @bouchezphotography

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
                    and regards to contrast, don't go overboard. I know you think it makes the photo look better, but check this out: http://blog.drivetoescape.com/2009/07/15/adding-contrast-doesnt-make-better-photos/

Thanks for the info. The link does explain what can go wrong with extra contrast. I have to keep reading up on everything. It's difficult because the way a photo looks in lightroom is always different if I just view the file or when I upload them.

I've been shooting in aperture priority. Maybe next time I go out I'll switch to full manual.

Originally posted by cbouchez View Post
                    #5 great composition. - Great job, I feel like every time I go out and shoot I improve my knowledge. Keep practicing.

Great job!
                    And thanks man, Ive been browsing your thread for awhile here. Always great shots from you.

Comment

photo #2 is crooked, the left edge of the garage door is not parallel with the left side of the frame.

photo #7 (skyline) has too much of a blue cast. you made the white paint look wayy too cool. also most of these photos look like snapshots I could've captured in a second with my iphone. look into composition. if you've got an hour to blow which you would've otherwise watched a movie watch this.

as a dude into photography, I feel a good photo has at least one of these things,
                      - sapient use of lighting
                      - use of geometry (ex, leading lines, patterns, minimalism photography big on this)
                      - a portraial of an emotion or a message

2nded on getting a polarizer. don't get hung up on getting the latest gear and lenses. when I started, I convinced myself on the idea that if I buy better camera bodies, lenses and accessories i'd become a better photographer. it's the total opposite. you can give a beginner piano player a $100,000 steinway piano and he'll sound like shit on it. give a professional a $100 yamaha electric keyboard and he'll hammer away at those keys making some awesome music.

TL;DR, don't waste money on getting better gear, learn the basics. the camera is merely a tool to help you capture photos.

sorry to ramble on OP, I can relate to your position being a beginner @ one point in my life.

Comment

Originally posted by susej1981 View Post
                        photo #2 is crooked, the left edge of the garage door is not parallel with the left side of the frame.
                        it's not crooked, it's a matter of perspective. A nice tilt-shift lens will solve that lol
                        '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                        NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                        Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Originally posted by susej1981 View Post
                          as a dude into photography, I feel a good photo has at least one of these things,
                          - sapient use of lighting
                          - use of geometry (ex, leading lines, patterns, minimalism photography big on this)
                          - a portraial of an emotion or a message

sorry to ramble on OP, I can relate to your position being a beginner @ one point in my life.
                          Hey thanks for the tips. I do agree with there needs to be more parts of the photo then just a simple snap, something I'll figure out with more work. I got the video link from the "quote" box since it didn't show on my screen. Should have time to watch it today!

Comment

best thing i've found is to take time to look through the lens. i find my self in a rush and then i miss things as i take photos. second, get lightroom 5 (u may have this already) then watch dozens of tutorials on how to you use it. there is a lot of info you will never find on your own in those videos. then lastly i see you are shooting at like f/8. lower numbers for make the car look a little better (imo) but higher like f/8 f/22 are much better suited for landscapes. also if you like cars, i had the canon 10-22 and it was amazing on the crop sensor so if i were u i'd save my pennies for the Sigma 10-20mm

Much wow
                            I hate 4 doors

Comment

Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post
                              best thing i've found is to take time to look through the lens. i find my self in a rush and then i miss things as i take photos. second, get lightroom 5 (u may have this already) then watch dozens of tutorials on how to you use it. there is a lot of info you will never find on your own in those videos. then lastly i see you are shooting at like f/8. lower numbers for make the car look a little better (imo) but higher like f/8 f/22 are much better suited for landscapes. also if you like cars, i had the canon 10-22 and it was amazing on the crop sensor so if i were u i'd save my pennies for the Sigma 10-20mm

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43859025@N08/10896912806/

Normally I do try to go as low as possible with my f number but I've been trying different ones to see how it is. I had the trial of lr5, I'll have to get around to getting the real thing now that its expired. I actually watched a tutorial on how to get sunsets better before I edited photo 5 lol.

Your m3 shot looks sick btw.

Comment

Working...
                              X