Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What toe to run?

Hey guys,

Im gonna go get my alignment soon and i was wondering what toe to run up in the front? Since i heard a little toe out would make the corning more responsive.

thanks chris

I'm running about 1/8" toe-out total (so 1/16" each side) and about -3deg camber. The front end feels great, now I just need to iron out the rear.

Btw, you should get the Longacre toe plates. So much easier than dicking around setting up strings or making an appointment($$) everytime to mess with your suspension.
    sigpic
    '86.5 325eis Track Ho | '08 128i DD | '04 Silverado Tow Vehicle

Comment

Toe out is great for stability while under hard braking. But not too much as it will make the car unstable and may create front shudder. 1.5mm (1/16") is acceptable.

Also, let's keep in mind that lowering or raising the suspension will affect toe. Which is why I tune the front suspension for zero toe under static condition. So, when I brake, the front suspension compresses and it creates toe out.
      Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

What about settings to run in the rear? I'm contemplating building adjustable trailing arms since I'll be in SM.
        Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
        Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
        One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

IE subframe kit will allow you adjustment range, but they're a pain to tweak and need loctite to stay put.

As you lower your E30 you get toe-in at the rear... so see where it is at. No matter how much power you're making I think a total of 3/32nds IN is the max I'd want (static). As the oppisite of the front, when you brake and the weight comes off the rear of the car (raises) you toe out some.

Good luck w/ your custom arms.
          Last edited by GotCone?; 06-03-2009, 06:25 AM.
          Build : Das Drehmoment Ungeheuer

Comment

IE kit isn't SM legal or else I do that. Eccentric RTABs are legal since they are a factory part, but I've read lots of stuff about them losing their settings.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

If its a double duty car, and you have camber plates, you can get away with zero toe.

i have my dd/autocross car set up with zero toe, at 1 degree negative camber [or around there] Slapping the camber plates into 3.2/3.3 degrees negative gives it a little toe out, however i have not been able to measure it accurately.

Originally posted by vlad
              Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

My car is mainly an autocross track car... i might drive it to a meet every once in a blue moon. I think im gonna go with -1.75 to -2 fixed camber plates and then see what the toe is at.

Comment

The camber needed is a strong function of what tires you run. Some need more, some need less. As to front toe, zero or perhaps 1/6" total toe out should work well on a car that is mostly a track beast. For the rears, eccentric RTAB's will work, but they tend not to hold their adjustments. If you can't use the IE weld-in adjusters, just go with urethane RTABs and subframe bushings and make sure that neither the trailing arms and subframe aren't bent. Better to have a less than optimal rear alignment than one that will drift out of adjustment during a weekend.
                  The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                  Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

im running re01r's and i seem to be pushing alot

Comment

Needs more cambers.

I run 2.5 on the street.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

cool i should have some camber plates coming in by friday. ill test it out this saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by p0cket penguins View Post
                          im running re01r's and i seem to be pushing alot
                          slow in fast out

Originally posted by vlad
                          Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe318is View Post
                            slow in fast out
                            that too is the problem... yet im guessin that increasing my camber -1.75 degrees more can also help be go in a bit faster

Comment

The guy that sets up my car is a pro and he said 0 is your best bet unless it is parking lot racing then a little toe out (he said no more than 1/16) he went on to say the TO will kill you in long straights. Prolly cost me $20 for asking the question so you are welcome.

Comment

Working...
                              X