First AutoX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First AutoX

I ran in Novice with Dixie SCCA, first time was a 67, improved each run to a final 6th run of 59.999! I was tearing up my absolute bottom shelf stock road tires on that run too. It felt good. I only had one DNF, on my second run, and no cones! They tell me I'm not driving hard enough. :D I won Novice class though! It'll be nice to run with the real deal in H-Stock now. The guy that rode with me on my first run looked at me after we finished and said "What the hell did you want me in here for? You know how to drive, just drive it harder!"

I am hooked. Bad. I have been doing nothing but look at suspension parts, wheels, and tires. I supposedly have bad, bad body roll. 318's didn't come with sways, right? I didn't check yet, and I need to fix it. As for tires, I was thinking of picking up some of those D-Force wheels and finding some used slicks. Think I might rip out the stock 318 suspension if I do this? Help a guy out, pros! I'm a noob, but I'm in for the long haul. This is so much fun.
    Originally posted by george graves
    If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Lol, stock 318 suspension, I'm surprised it didn't roll over.

Congrats on your new sport.

S54B32 swap in progress. Status: Getting There

Comment

Ha ha ha! i just had a similar experience. I recently just went to my first autocross meet with my 318is and i am pretty hooked as well. I already signed up for the next meet.

Let me highly recommend my suspension set-up for you: Bilstien Sport shocks and H&R Race springs. Very stiff ride, very little body roll. I am extremely satisfied with my suspension, and now i only need a nice set of track wheels and tires.

so yes, rip out your stock suspension. Why wouldn't a 318i have stock swaybars? don't all BMWs have sway bars? you can always get thicker ones to replace stock to keep the car more level however...

Here is me taking a hard corner, note the amount of body roll:

and you get to do super cool slides like this:

Comment

and check out these vids of me:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

the very beginning of this video is a good example of the body roll with my suspension set-up, i am just finishing the slalom.

more if you like:

Comment

Okay, looked over my Bentley, and I do have sways. Shoulda known BMW was better than that :roll:. Most of the old timers are telling me to stay on stock suspension right now, and to get adjustable shocks at most so that I can stay in the stock class and really learn about the car and how to drive. They also told me to STAY AWAY FROM SLICKS until I get said good habits in, because streets will talk to you and let you know how to drive.
          Originally posted by george graves
          If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

I am running bilstein sports with H&R race and it is a great setup for autox even with my bottom of the line tires. Also I see that you mentioned D-Force wheels, well mine just arrived at my door today! I'm so excited to get them all mounted up with my new hankooks
            PNW CREW

1990 325is
            Scorpion exhaust
            K&N intake with signature motoring heat shield
            H&R race with bilstien sports
            D-Force wheels/Hankook Ventus RS-2's

Comment

Beach Bum
              Listen to the old timers, they know what they are talking about. Stay stock untill you can drive the wheels off the car. :up:

Comment

+1...first mod should be a good set of tires, pads, fluids and inserts like koni or bilsteins. that way you don't bump yourself up into a class where you'll get murdered.
                Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Working...
                X