• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup, that and the Hankook RS-2.
    '89 325i track sloot
    '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

Do your first, and maybe even second event on shitty tires. Then, when you want more, get something stickier--the Z1 star spec will most likely be my weapon of choice, for a few reasons.

As for the track day itself, remember to make sure you can pass tech inspection-- make sure you've got good brake pads and life left in them (the event may noticeably taper them depending on what pad you use), probably change the oil and tranny fluid before and after the event, and take all the shit you've got sitting in the car out. You do not want your CD collection and pens flying back and forth in your car on every chicane, nor your dog or toddler to hit the windshield in every braking zone or the dead hooker in your trunk making thumps that needlessly worry you about your RSMs. Take this opportunity to clean your shit out of your car.

Make sure you don't have any horrible coolant or oil leaks, no one wants that shit on the track giving Paul Walker an excuse to flip a 180 and drive his evo backwards at 140mph.

Make sure your ball joints and tie rods have no appreciable play in them. Make sure your suspension is tight and doesn't rattle.

Someone offered me a FREE full day spot (hours and hours of track time) at Willow Springs the next day, just awhile after I got my E30. I wanted to go, but I declined--I wasn't confident that the car was up to the task.

Comment

Which tire? Track/DD use, maybe some SMS [or whatever the class is this year] tire next year.

215/45-16

Falken RT 615 - $99

Hankook RS-2 - $102

Kumho Ecsta XS - $95

Originally posted by vlad
        Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

RS2s pale in comparison these days. XS, Z1 Star Spec, RE01R/RE11R, RS3 if you don't mind gay flames in your tread. Can't really go wrong with any of them.

Comment

Go for the Kumho's Joe.

Comment

+ Fckin 1
              '89 325i track sloot
              '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

Working...
              X